Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Building an ak

(Philadelphia County)

Default Building an ak

So from what I understand I can buy a parts kit, a flat piece of metal that can be a receiver without additional drilling, a rivet set, US Parts kit to meet the 5 extra parts, and a couple magazines; and have them sent directly to my door. Is this correct?

I know 2 machinists and I'm assuming they would be able to bend and harden the flat piece of metal into a proper receiver easily and then harden it, then I'd attach the foreign parts and make sure to swap out 5 for the US parts, then I'd put the rivets in, and then I could attach a magazine and fire it. Is this correct? Is it really that simple or are there likely to be compatibility issues and small modifications that need to be made?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Building an ak

First, yes you can get all those items sent to your door without an FFL. As long as it's not a completed receiver and just a flat.

About building, yes and no. This is what I am trying to get into myself, it is "simple" yes, but you don't just do it with a hammer and some supporting blocks, you'll need some heavier equipment, like a 12 ton press and special riveting jigs, and some other stuff.

Not that I'm talking down the skill level of your machinist acquaintances, but I would suggest sending your kit off to someone who builds AKs for a living and knows AKs. Some examples are AK USA down in FL, Piece of History Firearms in the west somewhere, Red Jacket Arms, etc. They are all reputable and are backed up with tons of positive testimony from AK afficionados and purists.

(Philadelphia County)

yeah, it's not combat lego's like an AR-15, it take a modicum of skill with some not so common equipment.

(Allegheny County)

There are a million AK websites. Here's one for you;

http://www.buildyourownak.com/

I thought about such an idea, but after research - you can buy a nice AK for what you'll invest in just trying to build your first. Unless of course you already are a machinist or have access to a machine shop. Most of us do not.

Once the initial investments are made, the 2nd, 3rd, etc AKs you build will drop in price.

However, given that parts kits are now harder to come by - and thus expensive...

(Lancaster County)

You are better off just buying a receiver from NoDak Spud and having it shipped to your FFL. The demilling of the kits is the hardest part. Its best if you know somebody who has done it before or check the websites. The others are right about needing special jigs and tools. I built a Romy G and a RPK and couldn't have done it without my friends vast building knowledge. Whenever we had a hiccup in the build, he would have a way out.

(Northumberland County)

it is legal to make a firearm for YOUR OWN USE. it is not legal for a "friend" to manufacture without a license.

if you wish to try this, go to your friends place, and YOU bend the receiver with his equipment and supervision.