Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wink need 1911 help! save me money!

If any of you have been following along at home, you know I'm looking for a fancy ass 1911 but don't have the coin to drop. So I've done some thinking, and since I want a nice 1911 for HD, carry, range use, and non-bullseye gun games, I've decided to turn my Kimber and Taurus into "nicer" guns and see if that scratches my itch.

Kimber: Locks up super tight, no slide play, plastic MSH and no mag well. but it is accurate and works every time, so here's my plan... I have the old kimber sights that look like this (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=424495) but have weak tritium in them. I'm thinking of a fiber optic or big ass/tritium front site like the XS system, but I want to do this without replacing the rear sight. I would like something quick to pick up and snap shoot, prefer glow in the dark. I'm not worried about super precision as long as I can hit what I need to inside 25 yards or so. Any ideas or places to look? Midway doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for. Also, is a front sight a home gun smith project?

Magwell... So to speed reloads and match my M&P I want a magwell. Would be willing to get a MSH that has a permanent or removable magwell, but don't know the quality. Doesn't need to be huge, just nice. and the closer it looks to blended or stock the better.

Fire Control Parts: Both the Kimber and Taurus have some MIM parts. and while they aren't terrible, I would like to put in a C&S or Nawlin or something sear, disconnector, and hammer package to get a nice trigger pull (3 or less pounds and crisp). Just wondering if anyone has experience with these "Drop In" kits. I know some light fitting would be required, but I feel I could do that more than a total trigger job on existing parts. I also need to pull the taurus hammer to replace that silly lawyer lock.

Also looking to hear your input on any essential mods I've over looked. let me know what you think!

Other than that, today I will be ripping out the series 80 crap on both of them, which I hear helps trigger pull and whatnot. wish me luck.
    Last edited by steviesterno; November 28th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Default Re: need 1911 help! save me money!

BTW, just found a nice ed brown MSH with detachable magwell. Wondering if the Chainlink pattern will look dumb since my front strap is checkered...

(Delaware County)

Detachable means two pieces??? I prefer a one piece design, such as the S&A, no place to loosen. IMO, if it's good enough for the SA TGO 1, it's good enough for me. I dropped one onto my TRP with no fitting. I have no idea about the Kimber or Taurus. Although somewhat dated, this may help...

http://forum.m1911.org/archive/index.php/t-23359.html
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Allegheny County)

Just saw a used Les Baer on www.budsgunshop.com under $1k.
    Im not all 1911 anymore but Im still tempted to buy it at that price.

damn you shawn, I said save me money... REP sent for the heads up. more sent when the Les Baer arrives at my FFL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    damn you shawn, I said save me money... REP sent for the heads up. more sent when the Les Baer arrives at my FFL
    nice.

Hard to beat a Baer at that price.

(Delaware County)

Hard to beat a Baer. The only problem is that it'll spoil you. No standard production gun will ever be the same. Enjoy the Baer...........
    George,

(Monroe County)

Spend the Money on Ammo and Training, You already have 2 perfectly good guns , its just a whole bunch of nonsense that does nothing to improve the gun or your shooting.

My Taurus came from the factory with a 3lb or so trigger anyliughter and it would be unsafe, and topnotch Trijicon night sights, right out of the box it shot out the bullseye, like someone at the factory sighted it in, adding Ed Brown Parts will not add aNYTHING TO YOUR GUN if you are at the point of Zero return, its like trying to make the SR71 go faster-whats the point?

(Montgomery County)

You cannot put in an XS big dot front sight and keep the stock rear sight, they would not work. The XS big dot is mostly marketing mumbo jumbo. The Tritium insert used is the exact same size as all other tritium vials, what makes it a "big dot" is white plastic around the vial. Here is a great tip to save money, send the sights back to trijicon and have the vials replaced with fresh new ones. This only costs a fraction of the cost of a new set of sights, and it is environmentally responsible as well. (Tritium must be properly disposed of, otherwise it shows up in the drinking water and none of us want that) Visit the Trijicon website and/or send them an email to find out how to send the sights back. You will have to take the sights off, and as I understand it Kimber sights are as tough as woodpecker lips.

MIM parts are not your problem, you need a good gunsmith. Everything about 1911's is about the fitting. Drop in parts are a farce and they do not work. Sure, they look to be less expensive but the devil is in the details. Find a good local gunsmith and get a trigger job done. There is no reason to change out the MIM parts in your Kimber, just a tune and polish should do the trick. In my opinion, 3 pound pull is too light for a 1911 but that is me. I am a double action revolver kind of guy and I like 1911 pulls at around 4.5 lbs. However, the weight is irrelevant when you have a smooth and crisp trigger feel.

There is no need to drop a wad of cash. Find a good local gunsmith (they are around, every serious shooter should know his gunsmith by first name) and get those night sights recharged and spend a bunch of cash on ammo and have fun.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Delaware County)

It's all irrelevant. He's got them for sale in the classifieds. Apparently, he's already bought the Bear.
    George,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast