Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default January Antlerless

I'm a new resident of PA and this concept of an extended season is interesting. How many people hunt in January for those WMU's that allow you to do so and how is it during that month?
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: January Antlerless

I hunt in January if I don't get a deer during the regular season. I typically won't kill more than 1 deer a year.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lehigh County)

I hunts and hunts till I can't hunts no more.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    I hunts and hunts till I can't hunts no more.
    ^^^^^THIS!^^^^^ LMAO!!

I hunt the late flintlock season. You ask "How is it?" Up here, it's generally COLD! I've been out before when it's minus 7 or 8.

In my experience, the deer are still pretty spooky.

They still move mostly at night unless they're in subdivisions.

There are a lot LESS hunters afield so the deer aren't getting pushed much and are oftentimes yarded up and/or bedded down, so you see less deer.

There are a lot LESS hunters afield so you usually have hundreds if not thousands of acres to yourself. Personally, I like this time of year over all the other seasons.

The cold temps make the snow crunchy/squeeky so it is more difficult to move quietly while still hunting.

The cold temps make it more difficult to stand hunt for long periods making it necessary to still hunt just to keep warm.

You aren't required to wear orange (I can't speak for the special reg areas, I'm just talking about late flintlock in general). It's pretty cool sneaking about in full snow camouflage! I've had coyotes run right up on me because they couldn't see me. THAT'S a cool enough reason to do it right there, IMO!

Hope that helps.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    ^^^^^THIS!^^^^^ LMAO!!

I hunt the late flintlock season. You ask "How is it?" Up here, it's generally COLD! I've been out before when it's minus 7 or 8.

In my experience, the deer are still pretty spooky.

They still move mostly at night unless they're in subdivisions.

There are a lot LESS hunters afield so the deer aren't getting pushed much and are oftentimes yarded up and/or bedded down, so you see less deer.

There are a lot LESS hunters afield so you usually have hundreds if not thousands of acres to yourself. Personally, I like this time of year over all the other seasons.

The cold temps make the snow crunchy/squeeky so it is more difficult to move quietly while still hunting.

The cold temps make it more difficult to stand hunt for long periods making it necessary to still hunt just to keep warm.

You aren't required to wear orange (I can't speak for the special reg areas, I'm just talking about late flintlock in general). It's pretty cool sneaking about in full snow camouflage! I've had coyotes run right up on me because they couldn't see me. THAT'S a cool enough reason to do it right there, IMO!

Hope that helps.
    I have some friends that dress up in full 1800's style "mountain man" wardrobe. Buckskins, fur hat, powder horn, etc. I'm thinking of doing the same someday when I can find or build the flintlock that I want.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I have some friends that dress up in full 1800's style "mountain man" wardrobe. Buckskins, fur hat, powder horn, etc. I'm thinking of doing the same someday when I can find or build the flintlock that I want.
    I've thought about it. I just usually have something else to spend the money on.

If you aren't aware of it, check out the Crazy Crow Trading Post http://www.crazycrow.com/ This place has some pretty cool stuff and a lot of period correct gear if you decide to go all out and do the rendezvous thing.

I've been kicking around the idea of picking up one of the resources (books/CDs) for learning Lenape as well as some of their books on buckskinning skills.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Chester County)

Down here in 5C, I'll usually reserve early archery season for buck, then buck and doe during regular season. After Christmas, I'll use either black powder or archery again if I haven't gotten a buck yet, or stick with shotgun if I still need more does for the freezer.

I can get by with 3-4 deer a year. Haven't bought red meat for probably 10 years.....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." Thomas Jefferson

(Montgomery County)

I'll hunt 5C until the season is closed or until I fill my tags. This year we have to wait until after Christmas for Antler-less deer to start again.

Wondering why the season change. I looked forward to hunting the week after the 2 week season as things are calmer. Guess I'll go back to small game for that time.

(Lehigh County)

I've bowhunted in January many times when I passed up too many decent buck hoping for a big one or when I decided late in the season that I would need a second deer, or a 3rd or 4th back when I was married, had a family and hunted in NJ, but not in the last 5 or so years. It's damn cold in a blind and windy and cold in a tree stand. It's not for good old boy southern transplants. Did I mention how hard it is to shoot a bow accurately wearing all that clothing. I wouldn't even think of more than a 20 yard shot. However, if I ever find myself in need of some late season venison I'll do it again.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Allegheny County)

Anytime I've had success in January is when I have managed to get a group of hunters together (no less than 4) to put on drives for most of the day. The only time we stand hunt is first hour of light and last hour of light. From what I've seen Deer seem to herd up pretty good by January so some days you might not see a single deer, other days you could be pushing a dozen at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast