Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default How about a new campaign to clarify the meaning of "character and reputation"?

Corbett is in. Repubs control the general assembly. We have plenty of Democrats on our side in PA. The timing is perfect to begin working toward a strict, narrow definition of the sort of "character and reputation" that can lead to LTCF denial in our state. We need an objective standard, especially for those of us who live in Philadelphia.

While I have a very busy job, and very little time to get off of work, I would like to get involved in working toward this goal.

Discuss....... What's the best strategy to make this a priority in the next year?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: How about a new campaign to clarify the meaning of "character and reputation"?

Quote Originally Posted by TravisBickle View Post
    Corbett is in. Repubs control the general assembly. We have plenty of Democrats on our side in PA. The timing is perfect to begin working toward a strict, narrow definition of the sort of "character and reputation" that can lead to LTCF denial in our state. We need an objective standard, especially for those of us who live in Philadelphia.

While I have a very busy job, and very little time to get off of work, I would like to get involved in working toward this goal.

Discuss....... What's the best strategy to make this a priority in the next year?
    It is already a strict and narrow definition.
    investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
    Best strategy?
    Removal of 6109.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: How about a new campaign to clarify the meaning of "character and reputation"?

I agree that the "character and reputation" clause should be removed. The problem is that it's highly unlikely that it will.

Short of this, what might be done to curtail the PPD's abuse of discretion?

How does one go about getting a transcript of the original UFA debate in the 90's, so we can get a better understanding of what exactly was the original intent of this provision? It is my understanding that the UFA as a whole was intended to curb this sort of discretionary abuse. If so, why did they add a vague "character and reputation" clause?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by kadar View Post
    It is already a strict and narrow definition.

Best strategy?
    Removal of 6109.
    Negative. ...removal of 6106(a) and 6108.

We can leave 6109 in place for reciprocal usage like Alaska did.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!