Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default The Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan is absurd.

Why? Price. They run about 950+ USD!!!

Regularly on Gunbroker and in the classifieds an individual can get one of these fine machines:

For about 450-550 USD, depending upon how desperate the seller is, or how soon his rent is due.

Then you have this done:

Then machine (or have a gunsmith do it for about 45 bucks or so) a groove for the front sight to be pinned in and you have a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan for a few hundred dollars less then they sell used!!!

All of those easily influenced movie consumers that are or have watched that new movie starring a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, feel free to chime in about how cool the Alaskan is and how what I described above is just not the same. While you are at it, start saving your lunch money for a "real" Alaskan and rest east knowing that you are paying significantly more for quite a bit less revolver. (feel free to stimulate the economy, I encourage it)
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: The Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan is absurd.

And there's some who think the Alaskan is absurd regardless of price I've seen them locally for around $700 and unless you're willing to take a hacksaw and chop down the barrel yourself I'm guessing you'd be looking at another $300 or so for a gunsmith to cut, recrown and fit in a new sight?? And not to mention the resale value, I'd think I'd prefer a factory model over a similar hack job.

(Cumberland County)

I'm under the impression that it's just absurd period. Mostly because of it's impracticality.

Sure .454 is a good cartridge for bear if you MUST carry a pistol. But most people that deal with bears regularly know to carry a rifle.

A fun range gun? Sure. Can you carry it concealed? I mean, you could. It would be overkill on humans, and why buy such a gun if you're going to use .45 colt rounds in it? You'd be better served with a light .38/.357 with more capacity.

Just my take. A good back up in bear country? Sure. Anything else? Not really.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

I just bought a full size SRH (7 1/2" barrel) and agree that the Alaskan isn't exactly great. I mean primary purpose for it has to be backup in bear country. You could completely remove the barrel and it still isn't reasonably concealable which leaves open carry. In that case I can see shortening it to 5"+/- but a snubby doesn't really make it any handier and with that short of sight radius it pretty much eliminates itself as a hunting handgun. So if you find the 7 1/2" a little long I'd prefer something in the 5" range as it still allows use for hunting but compact enough that you can bring it to bear (no pun intended) faster if you encounter a fuzzy threat unexpectedly. I think the real benefit of the SRH is being able to have one gun that can be used against bear with .454 or people threat with .45LC and again if you reasonably restrict it to open carry you're better off with a 5" barrel than a 2 1/2 or 7 1/2".

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    . . . why buy such a gun if you're going to use .45 colt rounds in it? You'd be better served with a light .38/.357 with more capacity.
    IMO, not really. The 45 Colt is one of those cartridges that comes alive with handloading. Price of the revolvers aside, the 454 Alaskan and the 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt would both be eminently suited for 45 Colt handloads in the 10-11 gr of Unique range under a 250/255 gr bullet. John Taffin loads his "strong" 45 Colt single actions with such loads for years, and his writings have turned me on to awakening the 45 Colt with higher-performance NON-magnum loads. Just sayin'

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: The Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan is absurd.

What about just buying a Taurus 444 aluminum frame/titanium cylinder for under $500 of you want to carry?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    IMO, not really. The 45 Colt is one of those cartridges that comes alive with handloading. Price of the revolvers aside, the 454 Alaskan and the 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt would both be eminently suited for 45 Colt handloads in the 10-11 gr of Unique range under a 250/255 gr bullet. John Taffin loads his "strong" 45 Colt single actions with such loads for years, and his writings have turned me on to awakening the 45 Colt with higher-performance NON-magnum loads. Just sayin'

Noah
    And I am exceedingly ignorant in such matters. My only question would be why?

I understand cowboy action shooting, but what else can the .45 be used for practically? I'm curious. Not that you need a reason to shoot a certain caliber.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Bucks County)

i don't think the alaskan is absurd at all if you look at the nitch market the pistol is designed to fill. i see the alaskan as a self defense weapon for dangerous game and in reality very few revolvers lend themselves well to concealed carry except small frame guns like the SW airlites. if you're hunting, hiking or fishing and need a good sidearm that can put a bear or mountain loin down the alaskan might be the gun to do the job. i also haven't seen any alaskans priced anywhere near 950+ dollars. i've seen them around my area priced in the 750 dollar range. the antigun crowd called the SW 500 magnum absurd when it first hit the market several years ago and there's lots of people including gun owners that believe AR15's and AK's are absurd. i think as gun owners we need to steer away from labeling any type of firearm as absurd least the anti's use our own words against us.
    Last edited by wellcraft; November 28th, 2010 at 03:00 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    And I am exceedingly ignorant in such matters. My only question would be why?

I understand cowboy action shooting, but what else can the .45 be used for practically? I'm curious. Not that you need a reason to shoot a certain caliber.

Self defense and hunting.

The 45Colt when using a properly built gun can exceed the highest 44mag loads. It has greater case capacity and can accept heavier bullets.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

But most people that deal with bears regularly know to carry a rifle.
    Problem is if that bear attacks you and is on top of you, your not going to be able to shoot the bear with a rifle. The Alaskan version fills a niche and makes the most sense to me for a fisherman, hiker and etc who wants something more packable or a supplement carry gun for bear country.

Is it overpriced? I think so but if people keep buying them at the asking price it will stay the same or go up.