Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default ? on Dan Wesson model 11

Hey guys, hope someone can offer me a bit of help on a revolver my friend has found. He was cleaning out his dad's old stuff after him passing away awhile back. He found a box with the revolver in it but after describing it to me I have a few questions.

1) He said at the front of the barrel is a nut that looks like it either holds it on or was put their to make the gun a non-firing replica. I think it's to hold the barrel together because it also has a 2in. or so extra barrel. All the info I have been able to come up with though is for model 12 or 15's. Would anyone know about this.

2) The push button to release the cylinder is in front of the cylinder as oppossed to behind it. Is this normal or another indication he has a non-firing replica?

3) is the serial number in a special place? He told me that he has looked the gun over and he saw the Dan Wesson .357 Model 11 on it but cannot see any other numbers or screwed up areas to indicate it was scratched off. How is this possible or is it yet more proof of a non-firing replica.

Thanks for all your help in advance i'm a bit of a revolver newb all all the information I could find was on other DW models. Hopeing it's not a replica because if it is he wants it but does not like guns so if it's real it's mine for free. WooHoo, then i just need to get a nice .357 lever action for a great combo.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; November 26th, 2010 at 03:32 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: ? on Dan Wesson model 11

i think the nut is to protect the threads while unassembled.
    the "multi gun packs came with up 4 barrels.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: ? on Dan Wesson model 11

Maybe this will help you out.
    http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dwrev.htm
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the answers so far, I will check out the website when i'm home form work and it does not get blocked. I will also try to get him to take a few photos and send them to me.

Again, thanks.

The Dan Wesson Model 11 was a matte finished service-type revolver (fixed sights). They later became known as the D11 and were made in .38 Spl and .357 Mag. These were part of the "pork-chop" barrel shroud guns. The barrel shroud had a leg or extension that ran down the front of the frame and was used to properly index the shroud.

These also had the exposed barrel nut. Most were star shaped (multiple points). This was used to hold the barrel and barrel-shroud together. First the barrel is threaded into the frame, and the barrel/cylinder gap is set. Then the shroud is slipped over the barrel and properly indexed, then the barrel nut is installed and tightened, holding the barrel in tension. The barrel nut was redesigned to be less obtrusive using simple grooves in the nut rather than the "star" appearance. This was still external to the end of the barrel. The barrel nut's final redesign appeared on the 14-2 and 15-2 models and was recessed into the end of the shroud.

There were some D11 models that had a non-removeable barrel nut (still external), making them, defacto, fixed barrels.

The cylinder release in front of the cylinder is correct. It gave better support to the crane ala S&W Triple-Lock thinking.

I have no idea why you can't find the serial number. On later models (14-2 & 15-2) it appeared on the R/S of the frame above the front of the trigger guard, below the DW address.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Pizza Bob is correct on the information on Model 11. I don't know about the non-removable barrel nuts for some though. All DW revolvers' cylinder releases are in front of the cylinder. The extension star-looking thingy is the barrel nut, which is not recessed like later models of DW. Since it's very similar to Model 12, the serial number is covered by the grip. Take the grip off, you should see it.

ETA: In case it hasn't been made clear, it's NOT a non-firing replica. I'm unaware of such thing exists for Dan Wesson. If it has an extra barrel, it's removable/replaceable. Check the case for tools (barrel nut tool and feeler gauge). If you need additional info, I can give you a contact at CZ USA who should be able to help.

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; November 28th, 2010 at 05:17 PM.