Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default scope ring/base question

Hope thanksgiving went well for everyone! Im gonna remount my scope later today on my Savage F/TR since the guy up at Grice's where I bought the gun/scope/old mounts did a fairly terrible job. I'll be putting on a new Warne tactical picatinny base and some Leupold Mark 4 rings. My question is, once the base is mounted, how do you know where to put the rings on the base? Does it matter at all where I put them? Is there a distance they (the rings) should be apart from one another for optimum holding capbility?

Thanks yall

alex

(Centre County)

Default Re: scope ring/base question

You put your rings on so that you can get the proper eye relief and not interfer with the adjustment turrets. I like to have it so that when adjusted properly the rings are at the midpoint of the tube between the adjustments and where the tube gets bigger. This gives you some leeway to adjust for eye relief. You want the scope set so that when mounted to your shoulder correctly you have full view through the scope. If you see a black circle around the lens when you look through the scope move the scope forward or backward until it goes away. Make sure you are holding the rifle correctly so that the scope isn't too close to your eye or you may get a nice cut when the rifle recoils sending the scope into your eyebrow.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member