Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 74 of 122 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tobyhanna SGL Range Reports

Quote Originally Posted by PAjon View Post
    went out yesterday (1/21) around 3ish. Boy was it packed! Amazingly it was in the low 40's with heavy fog in Bangor, but up on the mountain it was in the high 50's near 60 and sunny. The pistol side and all of the 50 yd positions were taken and only 2 positions on the 100 yd were open. We setup there and shot a variety of rifles.

With the unseasonable warmth the ground that was previously ice has turned to around 1 ft. deep mud pits. Wear boots and be careful where you step.

It seems that when many people show up the rules go out the window. Several people had way more than 3 rounds in their guns on the rifle side. Also someone was shooting steel they had plopped down about 1/2 way on the 50 yd side right in front of a puddle. Almost every shot they missed caused a huge explosion of water. And they missed a lot.

During cease-fires it was almost impossible to get people to not handle their weapons. They seemed to have little idea of the rules or etiquette. Several times one lady who was de-facto 'in charge' had told this group of guys that it was a cease fire and they responded "we know" as they were putting round after round into their rifles at the firing position.

People were leaving without picking up any brass or removing their targets. I saw several people shooting from one firing position at the same time.

After the pistol side cleared up we headed over there. It was crowded with a rowdy bunch of out-of-staters. By the accents either eastern NJ or NY City. They were loud and constantly yelling things, which is very distracting with so many people we couldn't tell if they were yelling for cease fires. We would stop and realize that was just their "everyday conversation voice" and saw they were shooting so we kept shooting. At one point we called for a cease fire to go change out targets. It went kind of like this:

Me: "cease fire"
    Fat guy holding large gun, not cleared "OK"
    Me: "Are you clear"
    Fat guy holding large gun, not cleared "OK"
    Me: "All clear?
    Fat guy holding large gun, not cleared looking me right in the face "All clear"
    Maybe in NY the words "cease fire" & "all clear" doesn't have a direct translation.
    I decided not to argue with someone who was obviously holding a loaded firearm and had no respect for other people, and we just made a quick target swap.

If the PGC was there they would have made $1000s in ticket violations.
    hound pgc with complaints? they've been a bit of a pain in the ass to talk to, they got it coming.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Carbon County)

I was there around 0900 on the 22nd the only one on the rifle side. It was so foggy that you could barley see the 100 yards. I stayed for about 1.5 hours and left. I go real early in the morning to beat the dumb asses and out by 0930.
    Last edited by cardonasharp; January 22nd, 2017 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by cardonasharp View Post
    I was there around 0900 on the 22nd the only one on the rifle side. It was so foggy that you could barley see the 100 yards. I stayed for about 1.5 hours and left. I go real early in the morning to beat the dumb asses and out by 0930.
    If you want for yourself sure go when it's illegal to shoot. I've seen them fine for that. I suggest you read that big sign with the rules.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Wayne County)

That is correct Noon on Sundays !
    Black Olives Matter !

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    If you want for yourself sure go when it's illegal to shoot. I've seen them fine for that. I suggest you read that big sign with the rules.
    Opps I was there on Saturday the 21st because Sunday I was working from 0700 till 1900 so sorry for wrong date. I know the rules I read them very well.

(Carbon County)

I hope the weather will be nice this Saturday I just bought the RPR in 308 I hope it lives to the hype

Well I wanted to shoot today but good thing I loaded my mags first as i could not get a round into them with the cold. No one there at this time,wonder why ? 14 degrees wind chill !

Went today to test my reloads at the pistol side with my wife. The first hour or so was decent, most people were following the range rules, except someone's kids were climbing the berm between the rifle & pistol side. Heard them get yelled at, and they stopped. Last hour definitely got a bit interesting, some guy parked awkwardly away from the normal spots, which piqued my interest and I observed. Saw a guy grab his ar as proceed to slap a magazine in his gun in the lot and walk to the pistol side. My o shit o meter went off and I instinctively bladed my body and rested my hand on my carry gun and observed. Looking back I feel I may have overreacted but with all the craziness lately I felt it was out of the norm to be putting a magazine in the parking lot and carrying over like he did.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    Went today to test my reloads at the pistol side with my wife. The first hour or so was decent, most people were following the range rules, except someone's kids were climbing the berm between the rifle & pistol side. Heard them get yelled at, and they stopped. Last hour definitely got a bit interesting, some guy parked awkwardly away from the normal spots, which piqued my interest and I observed. Saw a guy grab his ar as proceed to slap a magazine in his gun in the lot and walk to the pistol side. My o shit o meter went off and I instinctively bladed my body and rested my hand on my carry gun and observed. Looking back I feel I may have overreacted but with all the craziness lately I felt it was out of the norm to be putting a magazine in the parking lot and carrying over like he did.
    Hell no you did not over-react,gut feeling things were not right and you prepared yourself as best as possible under the location and circumstanses ! I would have done no less ! MDT

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Hell no you did not over-react,gut feeling things were not right and you prepared yourself as best as possible under the location and circumstanses ! I would have done no less ! MDT
    Definitely a pucker moment realizing if shit went sideways that I'm severely under gunned, I had no cover to use other than the small concrete blocks that hold the table up, I had my wife with me who noticed but wasn't sure what to do about it, And two guys that were over on the 25yd pistol side were in the danger zone as well.

Page 74 of 122 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast