Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 72 of 122 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tobyhanna SGL Range Reports

Quote Originally Posted by cardonasharp View Post
    You have to go real early in the morning around 0700
    i head out around 7ish because im 45min away, but i sit until 8, never noticed it being posted otherwise.

"Unless otherwise posted, these ranges are open year-round, from 8 a.m. until sunset, Monday through Saturday, and noon to sunset on Sundays. "
    http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/State...s/default.aspx

has anyone filed complaints recently with pgc about these issues?
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Range Time 08/30/16----11am two shooters on pitols side,courteous and more importantly saftey conscious ,Just the way I likw it ! Glock time 43 and 19 the shooters complimented me on the accuracy of both glocks and we talked how they polished the trigger on theirs and improved accuracy but not near as good as mine,didnt have the heart to tell them mine was straight from the box but I am a dedicated shooter.Ruger 10-22 time sight in the new scope in anticipation if sunday hunting and semi-autos ever comes to light ! Great weather good day and no crazys this time guess i will push my luck and get a lottery ticket tonight ! MDT

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by cardonasharp View Post
    You have to go real early in the morning around 0700
    Sunday's before noon are also kind of quiet after the ranger cited everyone else for shooting before opening.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Wayne County)

Heading there now for a bit of .22 practice for the kiddos...have a day we are not doing the soda stand at the fair.

(Wayne County)

Good day. We went to the rifle side. It was us, a guy and his son, and a guy, his son and guessing grandson. Far end was a gent sighting in his hunting rifle. The place was clean, backstops intact, and the line was very safety aware.

Good day was had.

(Monroe County)

Been a long time, was there for several hours today, around 10 people came and went, not too busy, got nervous a couple times when a guy next to me who professed to be 81 years old was pointing his pistol at me, I know it was unloaded and shot dry but it's not a safe practice. Lived through that. Everyone else was safe and courteous. One guy was there for only a little bit, shot a .50 revolver, nicely warned everyone before he did, I appreciated that lol. The place was in slightly better shape than last time I was there, I was only on the pistol side, everything in good order. I did notice that one of the steel 2x4 upright supports was bent slightly backwards, wouldn't budge when I tried to straighten it up.
    Had a great day, perfect weather and not too windy like it is a lot of the time.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

Arrived before noon and spent about a half an hour yesterday (9/29/16) tuning the scope on the boys' Savage Rascal at the long pistol range, then gave the Glock a little exercise at the short side. I never bring a target and always find someone else's litter to use instead. There were targets on most of the stations still hung and several wads of wet and crumbled targets lying tumbleweed-style. I cleaned my brass and steel and then a good shovel of other's, then collected all the targets from the ground and backers before I left. When I left, it looked like I wish I would have found it. Except, of course, for the shell-mulch. That place needs an electromagnet.
    I like shooting on wet and dreary days, since I have the whole range to myself and can use a puddle to wet my (found/recycled) target and wallpaper it to the backer. They don't blow in the wind and peel right off. I'm not die hard enough to shoot today though.
    Cheers!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAjon View Post
    Merry Xmas Tobyhanna

12/26 - 30 deg F freezing rain and fog. Brought my eldest daughter to the range to sight in and test her new .22 mossberg 702 semi-auto rifle. When we arrived mid-morning the freezing rain had already started with a mist that turned to ice on everything it touched. The pistol side had plenty of traffic, but there were only 2-3 other groups of shooters on the rifle side. These groups were entirely muzzle-loaders and I didn't know if they were with each other, or everyone had just so happen to get muzzle loaders for Christmas. One other guy showed up and also was muzzle loading, he left after firing 1 round because of the wet conditions.

My daughter and I put a few hundred rounds of all different kinds of ammo at the 50 and then moved out to the 100. We were holding pretty good groups despite the rain & windy conditions. I noticed that the ice convinced some that they did not need to remove their targets when they were done, so I as always ripped down as much of the litter as I could find and threw it in my trunk. Some of the backstops were completely ragged, so much swiss cheese, but others were almost brand new, so they must be swapping them when they get too old.

12/27- 55 deg sunny & windy (ab. 15-20 mph) Brought my youngest daughter to work on her basic firearm safety & skills. This was a good learning experience for her since the range was packed today! When we pulled up I saw every single spot at the pistol side was taken, and there was only 1 bench at the 50 yard rifle open. Not many people were at the 100 yard. After hanging our targets the range went hot and I had her try out her sister's new mossberg. She didn't like the semi-auto action (too hard for small kids to rack) and she got burned when a piece of brass flew forward and hit her hand. She went back to shooting my old savage bolt action .22 and was enjoying that a lot more.

Safety wise thinks were somewhat OK (as far as the shooters go). We were calling cease-fires and no one was playing with their firearms while the range was cold. The problem was there was this guy with a dustpan and broom running around between the benches of the firing line sweeping up everyone's brass. I can understand trying to make a buck & cleaning up the litter, but this guy had no regard for his own safety. I had to ask him not to get near my daughter when she was at the bench. At one point my daughter was ejecting 1 magazine and inserting another and right as she was going to put the bolt forward he actually bent down, right in front of our bench and basically swept his own head right in front of her muzzle. He was trying to grab 1 case between her reload. She didn't realize what had just happen but I started yelling at him and told him he had to wait for cease-fire to cross in front of the firing line. He didn't seem to care and he wandered over to the pistol side and didn't return for another 10 minutes. People like this make me uneasy, especially when they are around a new shooter who is learning safety & basics. I don't want her to have to live her life with a death on her conscience b/c someone was so preoccupied with picking up $0.00001 worth of brass they put their HEAD in front of a loaded rifle. I've never seen anyone do something so stupid.

We moved over to the 100 yard side after the next cease fire and the brass vulture didn't approach us again. After sighting in at 100 yards we put some groups down. It started to get colder as the sun was falling behind the trees, and quieter as the other shooters left for the day.

Moral of the story is that crappy freezing rain range days are a whole lot safer than those nice blue sky days!
    Sounds like the brass crab is back.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Sounds like the brass crab is back.
    surprised in all that it was busy, must be because of holiday days off.
    brass is low and has been for a while. desperation?
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAjon View Post
    Merry Xmas Tobyhanna

, but this guy had no regard for his own safety. I had to ask him not to get near my daughter when she was at the bench. At one point my daughter was ejecting 1 magazine and inserting another and right as she was going to put the bolt forward he actually bent down, right in front of our bench and basically swept his own head right in front of her muzzle. He was trying to grab 1 case between her reload. She didn't realize what had just happen but I started yelling at him and told him he had to wait for cease-fire to cross in front of the firing line. He didn't seem to care and he wandered over to the pistol side and didn't return for another 10 minutes. People like this make me uneasy, especially when they are around a new shooter who is learning safety & basics. I don't want her to have to live her life with a death on her conscience b/c someone was so preoccupied with picking up $0.00001 worth of brass they put their HEAD in front of a loaded rifle. I've never seen anyone do something so stupid.

Moral of the story is that crappy freezing rain range days are a whole lot safer than those nice blue sky days!
    I delt with that asshat back in Nov. I might head up today and don't plan on being nice.

Oh if it ain't raining it ain't training.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 72 of 122 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast