Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 122 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Tobyhanna SGL Range Reports

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    All that depends on when you go relative to the snow falling. The ground is fairly level back there (I don't know if you have been there before) and the road is reasonably well maintained. Four wheel drive is never a bad idea in the Poconos, and front wheel drive is usually sufficient, but if you have decent tires, you should not need chains. The range parking lot has been plowed when I have been there, but you are going to need boots to get to the target backers.

Keep in mind that you are far enough off the road that no one will see or hear you if you get hurt or stuck and need to yell for help. Firing off your gun won't help. People expect to hear gunfire coming from the range. Going alone is a real bad idea. I have no idea what cell phone reception is like, although my phone usually does not do well in the area. If you are going in the winter, plan as if you might have to be there for a while. People who venture out in that area without proper clothing are just asking to be smacked down by the elements. If you want to see how quickly things can go very bad, do a search on son of the revolution, and read his story of falling and breaking his leg last winter while walking from his neighbor's house to his own.
    PennsyPlinker... here is a pic you posted when the range first opened! this will give him an idea what it looks like in the winter up there! and here is a picture of me at the entrance of the range,and to midlifecrisses if your coming from rt 380 you make a right where my GMC is parked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll be going there Monday to shoot my new Stag AR for the first time. Looks like a really nice place to shoot. Some of these horror stories on this thread about strange people and fear of armed robberies leaves me hoping that there will be a few others at this place lol

(Carbon County)

armed robberies? never heard anything like that and i am there almost every weekend.

i'm going to a friend's huge farm to shoot, instead of driving all the way up to the range.
    but next monday i might go up.
    i try to get up there when it opens @8am and i stay for around an hour +1/2
    drive a blue suzuki hatchback with a union jack front plate. got logo's on my 1/4 panels.
    if anyone see's me, feel free to say hi.
    Last edited by fallenleader; January 1st, 2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: not weekend, monday.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by shanes View Post
    I'll be going there Monday to shoot my new Stag AR for the first time. Looks like a really nice place to shoot. Some of these horror stories on this thread about strange people and fear of armed robberies leaves me hoping that there will be a few others at this place lol
    You do understand that to use a SGL range in Pa. you need either a valid Pa. hunting license or a Range Use Permit, without either one you can be fined by a WCO.

Just a heads up for you so you don't have your day ruined.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    You do understand that to use a SGL range in Pa. you need either a valid Pa. hunting license or a Range Use Permit, without either one you can be fined by a WCO.

Just a heads up for you so you don't have your day ruined.
    Thanks for that heads up.. I just bought the range permit last night.. I'm good to go:-)

glad to add one to the party, just follow the rules and be safe.
    and always bring your ear plugs, never know when one of us will show up with a big gun.

oh, and tomorrow it's looking cold. everyone bundle up.

Edit: went to range round noonish, left round 1:30, it was damn cold and flurrying.
    saw a shotty @ the 25yrd, then what looked like an AR-15 @ the 25yrd.
    some muzzleloaders and other various toys.
    pistol was crowded for a long time, rifle was pretty clear except @ one point all the 50's were taken up.
    managed to jam up my 91/30 hands too cold to load ammo properly.
    and man, the range is looking filthy... it's sad, i fired 140rnds and left with more than i shot, didnt even need to put up a target @ rifle because it was already full of shot up ones.
    and not many people abide by the magazine caps. typical waiting to call a clear while people dump 10+rounds down the lane.
    Last edited by fallenleader; January 2nd, 2012 at 03:34 PM.

Had a great day at the range today, the place was very easy to find. Pretty much had the rifle range to ourselves after 1:30. The people there were friendly and very courteous as well. Yes there were lots of shell casings on the ground, it's too bad that people are too lazy to pick them up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shanes; January 2nd, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

(Monroe County)

Went up today later in the afternoon and ran into a couple of the regulars. Quiet as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

shanes, i believe we were there at the same time. i was in the far left lane of the 50, i believe you were down at the hundred at the time.
    maybe not, but you look familiar.
    there was a cop there today, big guy, was cool but damn he's gotta stop checking his weapon like he was. never look down the barrel unless it's stripped down. check from the chamber. hell, if there is a reason to look down the barrel, it probably requires field stripping to resolve the issue imo.

pic obviously not from today, it was way too cold for that. but that's my gear and me.
    Edit: added my car.
    Last edited by fallenleader; January 3rd, 2012 at 09:32 AM.

Page 11 of 122 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast