Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 122 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Tobyhanna SGL Range Reports

Just noticed a double post above. Apologies for that. This site gives me fits sometimes. Takes forever to receive acknowledgement that a post went through. Even now I have to log back in everytime I hit the back button, even if I'm several pages past the login page. Maybe it's just me....
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

went to the range today,11:00 AM there were many hunters sighting there rifles when i got there,i was about to leave and all at once 1/2 of them left! I parked my car and grabbed a bench @ 50 yards and checked the scope on my .308 bolt action savage,and put a few 7.62x51 rounds through the CAI G3 clone! nice weather,good shootin and all around good range trip!

does anyone know what happens out there when it snows?
    i wont have ammo till after christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    does anyone know what happens out there when it snows?
    i wont have ammo till after christmas.
    Everything turns white. Seriously though, I have been shooting there, and at the old range in Gouldsboro many times with snow on the ground. Watch where you walk, especially behind the firing line. Last winter I was walking across a spot I thought was flat and went up past my knee when I stepped into a ditch behind the pistol range. Worse than snow is ice. That makes it really tough getting around. And if you fall and you are the only one up there, it could be a while before anyone finds you.

thanks for the info.

so 4WD, chains and such?
    they plow the range road at all?

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    thanks for the info.

so 4WD, chains and such?
    they plow the range road at all?
    All that depends on when you go relative to the snow falling. The ground is fairly level back there (I don't know if you have been there before) and the road is reasonably well maintained. Four wheel drive is never a bad idea in the Poconos, and front wheel drive is usually sufficient, but if you have decent tires, you should not need chains. The range parking lot has been plowed when I have been there, but you are going to need boots to get to the target backers.

Keep in mind that you are far enough off the road that no one will see or hear you if you get hurt or stuck and need to yell for help. Firing off your gun won't help. People expect to hear gunfire coming from the range. Going alone is a real bad idea. I have no idea what cell phone reception is like, although my phone usually does not do well in the area. If you are going in the winter, plan as if you might have to be there for a while. People who venture out in that area without proper clothing are just asking to be smacked down by the elements. If you want to see how quickly things can go very bad, do a search on son of the revolution, and read his story of falling and breaking his leg last winter while walking from his neighbor's house to his own.

i'll see if maybe someone from here wants to meet that day :P nobody in my house will brave the temps.

(Monroe County)

Hi All,

Can somebody tell me exactly where the range is? Also, if I want to bring my 12 year old son with me to do some .22 target shooting, would I have to buy two permits?

Thanks,

Steve

see older posts for directions even GPS coordinates.
    familiarize yourself with regulations on the site you buy the permit on. (which includes guest and child information)
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937862&mode=2

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937842&mode=2

and quick answer, as far as i understand the wording, due to your child's age, you can bring them as well as a guest.
    regardless of accuracy of above, your allowed 1 guest.

im in a good mood today. go to google, maps, directions, enter your address in A and 41.170538,-75.443641 in B
    there's directions to the range.
    Last edited by fallenleader; November 27th, 2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: generosity

(Monroe County)

I get down there pretty regularly. If not once a week then atleast every other week. Most of the people are decent and follow regulations. There are quite a few who are straight up scumbags and likely have no business being there, possibly even being prohibited persons.

I would suggest going with another if at all possible, I've seen enough to make me pack up in a hurry and depart before I caught a stray round or was the victim of an attempted robbery.

As far as winter, I do just fine with my FWD car. Plowing is inconsistant at best for the main road and the parking area. Absolutely wear appropriate cold weather gear as it is a trecherous area when it comes to weather conditions. I was there the other day, and left after only 30 minutes as the wind is a constant barrage against your body. This time of year you really need to dress the part. I get full cell phone coverage up there with ATT fwiw.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 10 of 122 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast