Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Going on a range trip in Jersey?

I'm on my iPhone so I can't really look it up now, but I would be very surprised if NJ was exempt from the LEOSA

A state can't exempt itself from a Federal law. The state can be more restrictive. NJ law says out of state LEOs can't carry hollowpoints off duty but they can't be contrary to the Federal law. However the recent amendments to LEOSA would allow carrying hollowpoints if you are carrying under LEOSA so NJ needs to update their law.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    I'm on my iPhone so I can't really look it up now, but I would be very surprised if NJ was exempt from the LEOSA

A state can't exempt itself from a Federal law. The state can be more restrictive. NJ law says out of state LEOs can't carry hollowpoints off duty but they can't be contrary to the Federal law. However the recent amendments to LEOSA would allow carrying hollowpoints if you are carrying under LEOSA so NJ needs to update their law.
    The Federal government has no authority to tell NJ if or how or what off-duty LEO specifically can carry. I know it's "law," I know NJ will likely have to honor it, but the feds don't have the purview for this in my opinion.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    The Federal government has no authority to tell NJ if or how or what off-duty LEO specifically can carry. I know it's "law," I know NJ will likely have to honor it, but the feds don't have the purview for this in my opinion.
    I agree.

Unfortunately this is the effect of the 'commerce clause' creep over the last century. A more egregious example is the GFSZA which is even more remote than LEOSA with regards to interstate justification. Let hopes the resurgence of the 10th Amendment rights movement starts pushing back such Federal encroachment.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sparky66 View Post
    Good grief!! Why bother? Free 5.56? R U F'N kidding me? I'd rather have my nutsack twisted in a knot then go through that bs.
    Its why I asked. If it was just filling out the forms, I would find it worth it. But it seems NJ are just to conservative for my likings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123