Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Looking to upgrade my Ruger MkII with some Volquartsen parts, need some advice

I'm going to invest a little bit of money into upgrading my Mark II with some Volquartsen parts. I already installed their Exact Edge extractor to clear up the stovepipes that occured when I first picked up the gun.

I've already decided that the Volquartsen target trigger and target sear are a must from all the reviews i've read. I think i'm going to forgo the target hammer.

There are also a couple upgrades i'm considering, but i've found few testimonials regarding the function of these parts.

Titanium Disconnector
    Volquartsen Hammer Bushing
    Surestrike Firing Pin

Anyone have these parts installed? Are they worth it?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Looking to upgrade my Ruger MkII with some Volquartsen parts, need some advice

I installed the target trigger, hammer and sear years ago and so did my son. Well worth the effort.

Made a huge difference.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Looking to upgrade my Ruger MkII with some Volquartsen parts, need some advice

Changing the sear has the greatest pay back. This takes the trigger pull from about 4 # down to 2-1/2#. Next is the trigger with travel adjustments. The target hammer has the least effect and may cause light strikes with some brands of ammo.

Some also replace the 1/8" pins with dowel pins which are 0.126", just large enough to take some of the play out of the action.

I have the Mark II slabside with trigger, sear, extractor, hammer bushings, and extended mag. release. The bushings take some of the slop out of the linkage, but it's a small change.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...egory_Code=VC2

(Bucks County)

You already have a Mark II so the hammer bushing isn't going to do as much for you as it would for somebody with a Mark III. With a Mark III user, it removes the magazine disconnect (making the take down and reassembly procedure much easier).

The target sear is by far the best upgrade I have done. However, I should have put the extended slide release in when I did it as well.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm Use this site and let us know what you decide and how you make out in the end.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Thank you for the link!!! That will make stripping the frame much easier.

I never thought to get the extended release as I always just slingshot the bolt.

(Bucks County)

Funny enough, I'm not getting the extended release for closing the bolt, I am getting it so I can lock the bolt open easier.

I just ordered 130$ worth of Volquartsen parts last night from Midway. I would have gone directly from Volquartsen's site (they are offering free shipping this weekend and a t-shirt or hat with 150$ purchases), but I needed to get some other things and Midway is just a hair cheaper on their parts (which is surprising sometimes). Plus I found a 15$ off of 100$ purchase online (which more than paid for the shipping).

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by afultz075 View Post
    Thank you for the link!!! That will make stripping the frame much easier.

I never thought to get the extended release as I always just slingshot the bolt.