Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default ruger SRH accuracy problems..please help.

hi i have a ruger superhawk in .454 7.5" barrel...and i cant hit $hit with it.. i pretty much know its the gun or mabe the sights but i doubt it.. reason i know it is because my dad has the same gun, and when he brought it home 6 years ago i shot it first and held a 4 inch 3 shot group at 50 yrds with factory open sights... now he has a leupold scope on it and we have fun shooting it at 100yrds...but anyways mine had aftermarket fiber optic sights not sure of the brand..green rear and red front. but i tryed hand loads and i just bought some hornady 240grn ammo for it which works great for my dads gun, but at 30 yrds first shot hit 24" right and 10" high!! then i shot 8 inch straigh low.. 3rd shot 12" left 4" high...4th shot 15" right 3" low.. this is at 30yrds!!! should be nothing for this gun..
    its not ammo.. or the recoil... and i doubt its the sights moving that much...i would notice that amount...
    is it out of time??? it doesnt seem to be spitting anything abnormal around the cylinder gap...
    please help i wanted to take this gun bear hunting and would love to carry it for deer but i can use it with it shooting like this.. it has less than 50 rnds threw it and doesnt appear to have anything wrong with it trigger is nice,
    i dont know anything suggestions will be greaty appreciated.. i love the gun and want to keep it.....

(Chester County)

Default Re: ruger SRH accuracy problems..please help.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHfire View Post
    hi i have a ruger superhawk in .454 7.5" barrel...and i cant hit $hit with it.. i pretty much know its the gun or mabe the sights but i doubt it.. reason i know it is because my dad has the same gun, and when he brought it home 6 years ago i shot it first and held a 4 inch 3 shot group at 50 yrds with factory open sights... now he has a leupold scope on it and we have fun shooting it at 100yrds...but anyways mine had aftermarket fiber optic sights not sure of the brand..green rear and red front. but i tryed hand loads and i just bought some hornady 240grn ammo for it which works great for my dads gun, but at 30 yrds first shot hit 24" right and 10" high!! then i shot 8 inch straigh low.. 3rd shot 12" left 4" high...4th shot 15" right 3" low.. this is at 30yrds!!! should be nothing for this gun..
    its not ammo.. or the recoil... and i doubt its the sights moving that much...i would notice that amount...
    is it out of time??? it doesnt seem to be spitting anything abnormal around the cylinder gap...
    please help i wanted to take this gun bear hunting and would love to carry it for deer but i can use it with it shooting like this.. it has less than 50 rnds threw it and doesnt appear to have anything wrong with it trigger is nice,
    i dont know anything suggestions will be greaty appreciated.. i love the gun and want to keep it.....
    If the sights are not loose, then it's you, not the gun.

No fixed barrel weapon can shoot projectiles with that much variance.

I've seen AR's tumble rounds through the air with more accuracy that that.

Have a few more people shoot it, who are good shooters, then see what they get. Don't tell them where you think it's shooting off, just see what they get.

(Northampton County)

Check the crown. Check the barrel for overbore by inserting a cartridge nose first into the muzzle - see how much of the projectile protrudes to get an idea of the muzzle wear.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Montgomery County)

With less then 50 rounds down the barrel, it is highly unlikely that the revolver is worn out. Furthermore, what makes one think that with such little trigger time (less then 50 rounds as admitted by the poster) that it is the weapon? It sounds like the shooter to me, considering the clear lack of trigger time on this revolver by the owner.

It is you, not the revolver. I could prove it with a few trigger pulls but you are not going to Classic Pistol tomorrow. Have someone else shoot it.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Northampton County)

One would get that impression from the "after market" fiber optic sights - one could believe that the OP purchased the firearm in a used condition. Furthermore, the OP stated that he has been shooting his father's SRH for at least 6 years - and has had lots of fun with it - indicating that he has at least a bit more than 50 rounds of trigger time.
    Additionally, it is not unknown for Rugers to come out of the factory with over bored barrels - this is a fact of manufacturing and normal distribution. The OP seems to have experience shooting; the gun seems to be a used model; the easiest thing to do is check the crown and muzzle wear - what has he to lose?, except maybe a minute or two. He can prove me right or wrong by mererly inserting a .44 bullet in the muzzle. You would not even be required to pull the trigger a few times.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Cambria County)

32 magnum, i am glad you understood what i typed to begin with...
    to the others... by all means i do not claim to be a pro.. but if you would have read my original post i can shoot my dads gun just fine and its the SAME EXACT ONE.. it now has a scope on it but i shot it fine years ago with less trigger time then i have now and never had a problem at way further distances,
    i have about 100 rounds out of a .454, 25+ from a .460, and around 15 from a .500, and i shot both of the big smiths better than the guys that own them.. the worst pistol for recoil that i every shot was a smith n wesson airlite .357 with 5 hot loads as fast as i could shoot all 5 as the owner told me to attempt it... i think i would rather do this with 6 shots out of my .454..
    i also shoot idpa and uspsa with my glocks and put about 7000 rounds of my 9mm's down range yearly.. not to mention how many 10's of thousands from my 4 diff .22 pistols and i have several other handguns.. not bragging but i am just saying i have enough confidence to say that i know i can hold way better than a 4' group at 30 yards with a .454 off of sand bags/ so i dont know whats wrong, from what i can see barrel is nice and a perfect crown..

thank you for all the reply's i am going to take it to the range again tomorrow and see what happens.. i hate wasting the ammo though its not cheap haaa.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    One would get that impression from the "after market" fiber optic sights - one could believe that the OP purchased the firearm in a used condition. Furthermore, the OP stated that he has been shooting his father's SRH for at least 6 years - and has had lots of fun with it - indicating that he has at least a bit more than 50 rounds of trigger time.
    Additionally, it is not unknown for Rugers to come out of the factory with over bored barrels - this is a fact of manufacturing and normal distribution. The OP seems to have experience shooting; the gun seems to be a used model; the easiest thing to do is check the crown and muzzle wear - what has he to lose?, except maybe a minute or two. He can prove me right or wrong by mererly inserting a .44 bullet in the muzzle. You would not even be required to pull the trigger a few times.

Yes sir the gun was used when i got it but like new the guy claimed less than 20 rnds and it looks like it, but anyways i can not insert a .44 cal bullet into the barrel by a decent amount of force applied by my hands only.. and crown apears to be fine, i can only blame the sights or a timing issue at this point.. thanks a lot for the reply....

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHfire View Post
    Yes sir the gun was used when i got it but like new the guy claimed less than 20 rnds and it looks like it, but anyways i can not insert a .44 cal bullet into the barrel by a decent amount of force applied by my hands only.. and crown apears to be fine, i can only blame the sights or a timing issue at this point.. thanks a lot for the reply....
    To find out if it is mistimed, if it is waaaay out of time - you can see it from the muzzle(unloaded of course). You would need to advance all chambers. Its possible to have all chamber timed differently from each other, or just one or more. I have a 6shot Spanish made 38spl that has (4) chambers slightly out of time with (2) right on.

You can also fire hardcast/jacketed slugs into a soft media(water, sand pile) so as to not deform the bullets. Then inspect the slugs for uneven rifling marks, or oblonged bullets, or other abnormalities.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Is this thing a .454 or a .44? You say in your first post it is a .454 then another poster recommends stuffing a .44 bullet down the muzzle.

You reply that you can't stuff a .44 bullet down the bore. A .44 slug (.430) should drop right down the barrel if it is a .45 caliber. I will guess it is a typo and you are shooting the correct ammo out of it, but Hornady makes a 240 load for each caliber.

Check the timing and sights of course. How bad is the trigger?
    Check your chamber throats to see if they are to small or to large. The old rule of thumb is a slug should go through the throats with a little thumb pressure.

Try some different ammo.
    Convince your dad you need to borrow his scope and rings. You don't need to fiddle with the settings.

Start at 15 yards and go from there. If that fails....

...use the Ruger for a tire chock and get a real .454.

(Cambria County)

yes i am sorry it is a .454 typo..
    why would that ammo work so good out of my dads gun and not mine.. i guess no 2 guns are the same even if they are the same.. haa
    i have tryed different cylinders to see if some shot better than others but still nothing to consistant... going to my range today to give her another shot..
    im not sure about using it for a wheel chock but i have thought about making a new anchor for my canoe...haa i always thought rugers made a good product though..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast