Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default moving to another state ?

So, I'm in the process of procurring all the parts to build a SBR M4, will also be full auto with a can. (figure I might as well do it all to begin with)

I'm also going to move in the next year or so (AZ or NV)

If I build this now while living in PA, what do I need to do after I move? Do I need to redo the paperwork in the state I move to and re-apply for a new license/stamp? Does the approval in PA carry over to the state I move to?

I'd rather build it here in PA before I move, because I have people who can help I trust as far as quality of the parts and getting it all together.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Monroe County)

Default Re: moving to another state ?

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    So, I'm in the process of procurring all the parts to build a SBR M4, will also be full auto with a can. (figure I might as well do it all to begin with)

I'm also going to move in the next year or so (AZ or NV)

If I build this now while living in PA, what do I need to do after I move? Do I need to redo the paperwork in the state I move to and re-apply for a new license/stamp? Does the approval in PA carry over to the state I move to?

I'd rather build it here in PA before I move, because I have people who can help I trust as far as quality of the parts and getting it all together.
    First off, don't build your SBR before you have an approved Form 1 in hand.

Second, you can not build a machine gun since 1986 so forget about picking up those parts.

When you go to move to another state, make sure that the state you are moving into is NFA friendly for the items that you own. Not all states allow all types of NFA firearms.

Then there will be a form that you fill out and send in for transporting across state lines. You would be checking off that it is a permanent move.

You should read the stickeys at the top of the NFA section, especially this one...

http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...ppressors.html

I knew I can't actually assemble it before I get approved, but I have a parts collection

Thanks for the info +1
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    I knew I can't actually assemble it before I get approved, but I have a parts collection

Thanks for the info +1
    You can't have all the parts in a single location as well, ie. same home. It falls under "Constructive intent" which can still land you jail time and a hefty fine.

But you will need to make notice with a change of address for the NFA registry. Call them up and inquire about which forms you need for that.

Then when you do the actual move, you will need to file the crossing state border forms to inform the ATF about your intentions to move the NFA firearm over state lines.
    Last edited by FJR86; November 25th, 2010 at 10:42 PM.