Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Just bought a Sig...

Mosquito. I know I know the gun is infamous for reliability issues, but maybe, just maybe it will be problem free. I just couldn't pass up the 2-tone. How's your exerience been with this gun?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Just bought a Sig...

Well over 2000 rounds through mine with an Outback II can on it. Haven't had an issue yet. I generally shoot CCI subsonics through it.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Philadelphia County)

When you take it apart , pay careful attention to where it is greased. if you don't and clean it too much in those areas, or you will have problems. needs grease in some areas.

also, make sure the area around the chamber and the area on the slide right by the firing pin is clean and lubed at all times.

it gets dirty fast and you may encounter FTEs.

Wife and I shoot the The cheap remington bullets. 555rounds for 18 at walmart.
    EDIT: white lithium grease (home depot) is fine for use, only thing is its white.
    1988 Sig P226, 1988 Porsche 911, Coincidence?

(Montgomery County)

For a .22 rimfire the Mosquito is mediocre to poor in performance. Besides the well know reliability issues it lacks the accuracy of Ruger, Browning, Beretta and Smith and Wesson autos.

I see a trade in your near future...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    For a .22 rimfire the Mosquito is mediocre to poor in performance. Besides the well know reliability issues it lacks the accuracy of Ruger, Browning, Beretta and Smith and Wesson autos.

Don't know yet, it was actually up between the SIG or the Ruger and it won on looks (shallow I know) I'll put a 1000 rounds through it in the near future and see where that gets me.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Revolverdamus has spoken! You will trade your pesky insect for something made of American STEEL!

Just playing Steve.

OP, maybe the Sig (and I say that lightly) will work out. I am thankful everytime I open the safe or go to the range that I was able to overcome the issue of looks in a .22 pistol.

Your Sig and the Walther P22 are very cool looking pistols, but unfortunately form doesn't always follow function. I wanted a P22 badly, but I followed some very good advice I received on here from Steve and others and bought a Ruger MKIII. I'll probably never have to buy another .22 autoloading pistol.

I hope your luck is good.
    Last edited by rwb1500; November 25th, 2010 at 02:24 AM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Philadelphia County)

And I still want a P22 and MKIII. Here's a weird thought I've been having, I am getting bored of guns that work everytime. My Glock and H&K never jam ever and my LCP used to jam but its through the break in period and is smooth sailing. I kind of want a gun that needs to be cleared every now and then. Sure, I don't want it to be after every round and I hope the Mosquito isn't like that but once every few mags will be just fine my me. Plus I hear the Mosquito works fine with CCI MiniMags so I guess I'll just use those.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FCRPhila View Post
    Don't know yet, it was actually up between the SIG or the Ruger and it won on looks (shallow I know) I'll put a 1000 rounds through it in the near future and see where that gets me.
    Sig won on grip feel, ruger felt funny, sig fig both wife and my hand. (dual person gun).
    1988 Sig P226, 1988 Porsche 911, Coincidence?

(Bucks County)

my mosquito was the absolute worse most unrelaible pistol i've ever owned, worse than the cheapass RG 25 auto i bought back in the 80's when i knew nothing about guns. unreliable from the day i brought it home to the day i got rid of it at a loss. cool looking little pistol and fairly accurate but could almost never get through a mag without some type of malfunction.

(Philadelphia County)

I just got back from the range, and my mosquito really surprised me. I got through an entire brick with ONE FTF. There are a couple things about the gun that I don't like. The SA trigger is a little slushy and DA is way too hard. The safety on the slide allows the trigger to release the hammer. I was really expecting it to fire but I suppose it just decocked it. Thats a weird safety and I don't like that. Safeties should lock the firearm up. I spent about 250 rounds going as fast as I could to work the gun in, then spend another 100 or so shooting for accuracy. The Mosquito's accuracy is decent, but could be better. I was using CCI ammo, so I suppose that had something to do with it's performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast