Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default keltec p11 rear sight is loose - how to fix?

my keltec p11 rear sight is loose and it keeps sliding around and coming off - anyone know how to fix this?
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Delaware County)

Default Re: keltec p11 rear sight is loose - how to fix?

I don't own a keltec but since you said sliding around and coming off, I'm thinkin the sight sits in a dove tail. I had the same problem with my tomcat. I thought about having it peened but didn't want to go through that hassle. I tried loc-tite but it didn't work. After that, I used gorilla glue and it hasn't budged since that application. Wet the bottom of the sight and put a dab of gorilla glue in the dove tail. Slide the sight into the dove tail and let it sit. The glue expands as it cures and will likely leak out a bit. Pay atention to it and wipe the squeeze out off with an alcohol wipe before it has time to set. It worked great for me. Good luck with it.

Call or email Kel-Tec, and tell them that you're sight is loose, they'll send you a new one free of charge, and it *should* correct the problem. While you wait for the new sight to show up, remove your rear sight, clean the dovetail in which it rides, and apply a nice layer of red loctite to fill the gap between the bottom of the sight and the top of the slide. The loctite should bond to the slide, but not the plastic of the sight, basically just shimming the sight to a tighter fit in the dovetail.

Check this thread on KTOG for more details.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    I don't own a keltec but since you said sliding around and coming off, I'm thinkin the sight sits in a dove tail. I had the same problem with my tomcat. I thought about having it peened but didn't want to go through that hassle. I tried loc-tite but it didn't work. After that, I used gorilla glue and it hasn't budged since that application. Wet the bottom of the sight and put a dab of gorilla glue in the dove tail. Slide the sight into the dove tail and let it sit. The glue expands as it cures and will likely leak out a bit. Pay atention to it and wipe the squeeze out off with an alcohol wipe before it has time to set. It worked great for me. Good luck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Call or email Kel-Tec, and tell them that you're sight is loose, they'll send you a new one free of charge, and it *should* correct the problem. While you wait for the new sight to show up, remove your rear sight, clean the dovetail in which it rides, and apply a nice layer of red loctite to fill the gap between the bottom of the sight and the top of the slide. The loctite should bond to the slide, but not the plastic of the sight, basically just shimming the sight to a tighter fit in the dovetail.

Check this thread on KTOG for more details.
    thanks guys .............
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Mercer County)

If it were mine, it would making a trip back to keltec along with a nasty note explaining the problem with the sight and a requests for some free mags, a trigger job, etc.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    This is a super old thread but I joined this forum specifically to thank glassman for the Gorilla Glue tip re: rear dovetail sight looseness. I had a similar problem on my EDC Bersa 83 and a quick google search brought up this old thread. 5 minutes of work after reading this advice has my old faithful Bersa back on my hip where it belongs.

Much appreciated Glassman.

(Chester County)

Call Kel-tec, RMA your slide... or just jb weld it.
    “The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt.” Ice-T