Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Somerset County)

Default Scope suggestions for indoor shooting

I shoot at an indoor range in the winter, About 25yards. it is competive but I do it just for fun. My problem is I need a new scope as the cheap barska I bought will no longer focus at this range. It has the adjustable objective and worked good for a couple of months but now will not focus at all. I guess you do get what you pay for. So if anyone else does this type of shooting can you recomend any scopes that will focus this close and still let me see the cross hairs at the same time. I do need something greater than 9X as my old eyes cannot see the little holes any more. I would like to keep the cost under $200 if I can but I will spend more because I am really enjoying this. I have a Savage rifle that is a real tack driver but I can't see to aim any more.

Smile Re: Scope suggestions for indoor shooting

Hi, you might check out Mueller scopes. I believe the 4.5x 14x is just $115 at most online stores such as Joe Bob's Outfitters. Lots of guys on RFC.COM use them and like them. I currently only have the Mueller higher power mil-dot scope 8.5-25 power on one of my centerfires and it works great for a low price scope. Weaver, and Clearidge also make some scopes in the 3-9 power range for about $200 to $240 range. Good luck, Coop204

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Scope suggestions for indoor shooting

I would recommend a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20 scope

The are on sale for $109 right now at midways.com. I've got 2 of them, they will focus that close- -I use them for our clubs' indoor 22 shoots. The objective is rather large, you'll need x-high rings.

(Lancaster County)

I would go with a busnell. If you can afford it go for the elite 3200 series. From what I have read and seen with my own eyes, they are awesome scopes. up to 91% light transmission means they are great even in dim or not so well lit conditions, and they are just a good all around scope. I would check them out.

Also, you really should check out a good Nikon scope too. I have looked through a couple of these in stores and I can not wait to get one put on my in line muzzleloader next year.

Just a couple of Mid-range [priced scopes from one to another.

Good luck and safe shooting!

BTW I have a Bushnell on my hunting rifle, it made it through several range trips, bouncing around in the back seat of my truck and shot a deer this year and is still dead on the origional zero I set it on. Not to mention it is crystal clear, even on higher magnification.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Centre County)

Another consideration: Airgun scopes. They likely focus down to 10 meters, and are extremely rugged due to the intense back and forth motion of spring powered air rifles. They can be had in most all of the power/zoom/reticle combinations.

If you really need more than 9 power for 25 yards indoors, you should use a scope with a 50 Yrd parallax setting(usually means a rimfire-less expensive scope), or use one able to adjust the parallax, either thru the A.O. (rotate the foward(objective) lense or a PA(adjustment opposite the windage)down to at least 50 yards.
    Vortex Viper 4-12 X 40 PA will provide you the Magnification you need, good light gathering and the ability to crank the parallax down to be able to shoot close targets. Unlimited Lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by Bravo Whiskey; January 28th, 2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: spelling

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by habuch View Post
    I shoot at an indoor range in the winter, About 25yards. it is competive but I do it just for fun. My problem is I need a new scope as the cheap barska I bought will no longer focus at this range. It has the adjustable objective and worked good for a couple of months but now will not focus at all. I guess you do get what you pay for. So if anyone else does this type of shooting can you recomend any scopes that will focus this close and still let me see the cross hairs at the same time. I do need something greater than 9X as my old eyes cannot see the little holes any more. I would like to keep the cost under $200 if I can but I will spend more because I am really enjoying this. I have a Savage rifle that is a real tack driver but I can't see to aim any more.
    There are very few new scopes, regardless how much you pay, that have quality reticles in them for target shooting. What you need is an 1/8 MOA Dot with a second choice of a fine crosshair. Those scopes are getting very rare. If the rifle has target blocks on it, try to find an old Redfield 3200 of at least 20X. Any Unertl or Lyman Target Spot are great scopes but they are bringing such big money that they can cost more than the rifle. If there are no blocks on the gun, go to some gun shows and try to find a Redfield 6400 with at least 15X magnification. These scopes have adjustments for 50' and will go out to 1000+ yards. In the new scopes, Sightron has a decent dot scope reticle. I have a straight 36X but that is hard to shoot offhand for the average shooter. The other scope that will work on the receiver is a USA made T-Series Weaver. The parallax will go down to 50' and some of them have the good reticle. FYI: if you find one of these scopes and can afford them, buy it. You will get your money back plus the longer you have it.