Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Super Redhawk

(Allegheny County)

Default Super Redhawk

I finally picked up a SRH in .454 with a 7 1/2" barrel. A couple of quick questions, does the new Hogue grips do anything to prevent rapping your middle finger on the trigger guard? I have the older rubber and wood grips and I don't mind the recoil on my hand but every shot the trigger guard hits my middle finger of the trigger guard HARD. Second any opinions on machining the cylinder to take moonclips (thereby allowing .454, .45LC, and .45ACP)? I heard mixed reviews of yea, very convenient do it to NO! it won't hold up under the .454 pressures.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Super Redhawk

As a kid I grew up shooting a Super Redhawk in .44 Mag with the old style rubber grips with the wood insert. I never had a problem with the trigger guard hitting my fingers.

As for moon clips, I see no reason for it. Moonclips are very useful for speed reloading, which in my opinion is not required for a Super Redhawk. If you want a .45 ACP revolver get a Smith and Wesson 625 or 325 and be happy with it. The Super Redhawh is so heavy and the barrel is so long it does not make a reasonable defensive weapon. The real important question to ask yourself is what do you want this revolver to do?

One can modify his or her firearm to suit whatever they want. The mission of a piece of equipment usually determines the attributes. Figure out what you want the Super Redhawk for and then build from there. For my money, I would select a good optic and have a good revolversmith do an action job instead of cutting the cylinder for moon clips.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I agree the SRH is a great gun just as it is. And if I was going to any modification to it I'd let a competent Gun Smith do it, the SRH is a Gem don't mess it up. Though if it can handle the 454 casull round it can handle the lower velocity rounds, if you can get the moon clips done right.

(Allegheny County)

1st and 2nd purposes for my SRH is backup in bear country and hunting, tertiary is defensive purposes against human threats. While the .45LC can be used great for that purpose (in which case I'd just get a couple speed-loaders and be done with it) .45ACP is much more readily available. Which leads me to ask about machining for moonclips. In a SHTF scenario I'd like to be able to grab one handgun that fits all three uses. Otherwise I'd have picked up a Freedom Arms for hunting, an SRH Alaskan for bear protection, and stuck with my Glock 21 for personal defense (in non-CCW role). All that being said I will get the machining done by a qualified smith and before I decide to do that I want to hear definitively that there are no issues with case pressure from the .454 using moonclips. That more than anything else is what's preventing me from going forward with the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuc_3 View Post
    1st and 2nd purposes for my SRH is backup in bear country and hunting, tertiary is defensive purposes against human threats. While the .45LC can be used great for that purpose (in which case I'd just get a couple speed-loaders and be done with it) .45ACP is much more readily available. Which leads me to ask about machining for moonclips. In a SHTF scenario I'd like to be able to grab one handgun that fits all three uses. Otherwise I'd have picked up a Freedom Arms for hunting, an SRH Alaskan for bear protection, and stuck with my Glock 21 for personal defense (in non-CCW role). All that being said I will get the machining done by a qualified smith and before I decide to do that I want to hear definitively that there are no issues with case pressure from the .454 using moonclips. That more than anything else is what's preventing me from going forward with the project.
    Hunting I understand, bear get off me gun-I get, but the SHTF scenario... let's be honest here it's not going to happen. You are willing to chop up your Ruger 454 just to be able to, if you ever need to, drop in 45 ACP for and all around SHTF/SD gun; it makes no good sense. If you need to throw more $$ at it, be realistic about it, and make improvements on the action or the trigger, sights,grips whatever floats the boat. But to spend your hard earned cash for something as made up as the Easter bunny is not realistic. Besides the gun shoots 45LC for SD and let's be even more real- If you fired a 454 at someone weather you hit or not I bet you win.

(Montgomery County)

I highly doubt that there are any issues with case support. However, there is quite a bit of difference in case length. I do not know the specifications of the cylinder throats, but the result will be quite predictable... the .45 ACP will perform horribly out of your .454 Casull revolver. There is a significant jump for the projectile in the ACP before it hits the throat, and this will cause unpredictable bullet position into the forcing cone, which demolishes accuracy.

I am sure you can get the cylinder cut for moon clips, yet there is another problem: getting moon clips. I suspect that you will not be able to find moon clips of the proper size to accommodate your revolver. That is two big strikes against getting it done. Terrible accuracy and lack of moon clips. (without lining them up, I can guarantee that moon clips for a Smith and Wesson 625 will not fit your SRH)

Are you sure you still want to do this? If so, then call or email some of the more experienced outfits that cut cylinders for moon clips:

http://www.moonclips.com/

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/moonclip.htm

Scratch that on the moon clips, they are available and they run about 7 bucks a piece!!! Good luck with your project.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

If its true that 45 long Colt with fit and fire in your gun. You really don't need the moon clip upgrade. 45 Long Colts is a good personal protection round and loaded hot not bad for Bear. But definitely not as good as 454 Casull.

Sure you can make 45acp fit if you throw enough money at it, but why if 45LC will work. You are already there you just haven''t realized it.

Arrow Re: Super Redhawk

I shoot the Ruger Super Readhawk in .44 Magnum with very heavy loads as in Garrett's 330 grain Hammerheads. The first thing I did was replace the stock grips with Hogue Monogrips. I personally have never experienced the problem you describe and find the recoil quite controllable. Try them and see if they help you. I was going to buy a .454 but Randy Garrett talked me out of it with a lot of his logic. I am now glad he did as I am very happy with my .44 Mag. Not that the .454 is not an awesome cartridge but I feel I would have been over gunned for my ability to rapidly place shots. The 330 grain Garrett and 340 grain Buffalo Bore ammo in .44 Mag will handle anything I have any business shooting with a handgun and yet allows me to practice with .44 Special ammo. It payed me big dividends to listen to the advice of a professional.
    Last edited by Paparock; November 25th, 2010 at 01:45 AM.