Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default I'm 18, can I buy a pistol?

Again, I don't want to get anybody worried, but I like to play it real real safe, and I have a few questions about owning/buying a pistol.

1. If it is a gift from an elder in my family, am I still eligible to own it? (Not carry, but own?)

2. " " from a friend, am I still eligible to own it?

3. Is .45ACP too much kick? I weigh about 160, I'm tall, wiry, but I've handled .40's with no problem.

(and for the lawyers and law offcianatos, I'm not straw purchasing shit, I hate people that do this, and if it were up to me, they'd all get the death penalty. I just want to know some answers before I consider anything.)
    Thanks for your time

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: I'm 18, can I buy a pistol?

I am currently going through the same thing at the moment, add would like to add a question. Can a gun that is given or willed to me be put into my name? (I'm 18 aswell) I know it can be gifted to me but the concern is my mother does not want a gun still in her name floating around after I move out of her house and the gun is in my possesion.

(Jefferson County)

At 18yo you may:

1. Be given from or buy a pistol from a parent or grandparent - no sort of transfer paper work needs to be done, it is optional to do the paperwork, but it must be done at a Sheriff's office.
    2. Be given from or buy a pistol from any other person - but it must be transfered at a Sheriff's office. FFL's are not able to do under 21yo handgun transfers. There is also the problem of some Sheriff's not willing to do under 21yo transfers because of personal abjections or incompetence. However, there are some Sheriffs that do know the law and will do a proper transfer.

Carrying:
    1. You may not carry it concealed, ever..
    2. You can lawfully open carry it, however transporting it in a vehicle you are restricted to transporting to/from certain types of activities(target, hunting, fishing, etc). If you are just going to the mall(or some other place) and plan to open carry there, you wont fall within one of the exemptions for transporting in a vehicle. If you plan on walking from your place of abode to your destination(s) - you can open carry it.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 18th, 2007 at 05:33 AM.

(Delaware County)

at 18 years old you may legally own a pistol, there are a few ways to obtain one.

1. Recieve as a gift or purchase from mother, father, or grandparent. no paperwork is required, if your parent purchases the gun for you it must be a gift (no money from you) otherwise it is considered a straw purchase.
    2. Purchase from a private party and have the transfer done at a Sheriffs office. an ffl cannot transfer you a firearm untill 21.

You cannot recieve it as a gift from anyone except parent, grandparent. Transfer at a Sheriffs office is the best bet.

If a parent gives you a pistol as a gift, its yours, their is no registry in Pa, the only record is of the last person to have the background check done.

18 Pa. C. S. §6111 (C)
    Duty of other persons.-Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sher¬iff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.

§6110.1. Possession of Firearm By Minor.
    (a) Firearm.—Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.

.45 will have more recoil than some other guns, but recoil is not dependant on just caliber. size of the frame, size of the grip, and weight of the gun can change recoil dramaticaly. ive shot .45s that handle like a .22, what are you looking at getting? A 1911 IMHO is the most manageable .45 platform out there.

(Jefferson County)

45acp's really dont kick much.

I've gained 50lbs in the last 1.5years, now weighing 185lbs. I was shooting 357mags, 44mag, hot 45LC's, and even buffalo and elephant guns when I was <135lbs. The automatics flop around more than they kick. The recoil spring absorbs much of the recoil as the action slides open to eject the spent casing. I've yet to find an automatic that really "kicks", revolvers on the other hand is another story.. None of the recoil isn't absorbed by a spring and slide mass - your hand, wrist and arm absorbs it.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you to everyone this all really helped me.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    At 18yo you may:

Carrying:
    1. You may not carry it concealed, ever..
    2. You can lawfully open carry it, however transporting it in a vehicle you are restricted to transporting to/from certain types of activities(target, hunting, fishing, etc). If you are just going to the mall(or some other place) and plan to open carry there, you wont fall within one of the exemptions for transporting in a vehicle. If you plan on walking from your place of abode to your destination(s) - you can open carry it.
    From one of my posts on opencarry.org:

"(8) Any person while carrying a firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(6)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a location to which the person has been directed to surrender firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. §6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the surrendered firearm.

Specifically to paragraph 8: the repetition of "his" in all other sections is in my opinion negated by the punctuation prior to and following "or in moving from one place of abode or business to another". A place of abode does not imply my own home, but could be the house of my relative or good friend. And as already stated the running of errands is clearly business; even as a customer we are conducting business. Again the omission of "his" implies that this is not my own business, but simply a place where I do business. I don't think this section when read appropriately truly is a vague as we (or the police, prosecutor, judge, or jury) could read it. Never the less, I don't think it was an accident that "his" was omitted and that it changes the whole meaning of the locations it refers to."

To reiterate, you may transport the firearm unloaded to and from "one place of abode or business to another". This does not have to be 'your' abode or 'your' business. Some will disagree with me, but that is the way the UFA is written.

(Jefferson County)

The place of business slipped my mind lastnite when I replied. The place of abode is subject to definition of law or commonlaw.

The UFA does not define "place of abode", so the definition will come from commonlaw and/or literal explanation. In most cases of commonlaw, place of abode means where you rest or establish residence.

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who
    carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a
    firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place
    of abode or fixed place of business
    , without a valid and
    lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony
    of the third degree.
    With a comma in front of ", except in his place of abode or fixed place of business," and one after, including "his" - it creates a separation between your place of abode and someone else's place of abode. Now if you stay the night, it becomes your place of abode as well.

Fixed place of business is quite clear. Fixed would be a structure or location. It doesn't imply that you must own it, only that you work there. Paragraph(b)(8) provides additional exemptions. If you would have to go from one office to another, it would be covered. However if you are a delivery person - since that place of business(the vehicle) isn't "fixed", then it wouldn't cover it.

(b)(8) show's "his" home or moving from one place of abode - moving implying that you are changing places to live/reside/rest.

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not
    loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase
    to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair,
    sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business,
    or in moving from one place of abode or business to another
    or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or
    dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section
    6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a
    place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use
    or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which
    the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23
    Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of
    the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of
    business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2
    (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful
    transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the
    relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping
    pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment
    to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the
    relinquished firearm.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 18th, 2007 at 12:33 PM.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevmeister View Post
    ive shot .45s that handle like a .22
    what gun is that???

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    what gun is that???

A 45 with a 22 conversion

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; November 19th, 2007 at 04:33 PM.
    Toujours pręt

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast