Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: I'm 18, can I buy a pistol?

So now what if a person bought a handgun but did not like it and sold it? How would you determine the reason for the sale? Wouldn't it be possible that that private sale was a straw purchase? I'm new to the handgun laws and regs and I appreciate everyone's feedback! I want to stay legal and I am trying to figure out how to purchase a handgun since I'm over 18 and under 21. As for the parents, kind of out of the question.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mdncool View Post
    So now what if a person bought a handgun but did not like it and sold it? How would you determine the reason for the sale? Wouldn't it be possible that that private sale was a straw purchase? I'm new to the handgun laws and regs and I appreciate everyone's feedback! I want to stay legal and I am trying to figure out how to purchase a handgun since I'm over 18 and under 21. As for the parents, kind of out of the question.
    Why don't you just wait till your 21 what is the big hurry to own a handgun.

(Montgomery County)

When I get something in my head I want I go for it, and 21 just seems like a little too far to wait!

(Centre County)

The straw purchase comes into play in that one person buys a gun for another person knowing full well that they (the buyer) are NOT buying it for themselves and that the other person typically is not allowed to purchase/own said gun.

If you buy a gun and three days later you decide that you don't like it and sell it to another person, that is not a straw purchase because you bought it with you own funds with no intention to giving it to a person that is not authorized to own it. As stated before, an 18 year old can buy from a private party but the transfer must go through the sheriffs dept.

An 18 yr old can buy long arms (rifle, shotgun) from private parties (no background check required) or from licensed dealers and the dealer can do the background check on that person. The dealer (by federal law) cannot sell/transfer a handgun to anyone under 21.

"So if I were to have my brother buy me a pistol in PA and i paid him for it and had a "private-sale" transaction the pistol would be mine as soon as we sign some papers...right? As for the legality factor there shouldn't be any connection to him once I would privately purchase the firearm from him correct? "

No, this would be a straw purchase because of your statement "...I were to have my brother buy me a pistol in PA and i paid him for it...". The "buy me" is the sticking point. If you had said "My brother bought A pistol and then wanted to sell it to me" that would be a legal sale that would have to go through the sheriff to do the paperwork.

Background checks (PICS) are for obtaining an LTCF and for sales of handguns whether through a private sale or through a license dealer. Background checks (PICS) are not needed for a private sale of a long arm (rifle, shotgun). Background checks (PICS) are required when buying any gun (handguns or long arms) bought through a dealer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

I think the straw purchase part comes in to play when your talking about selling to someone who has a criminal background, someone who you know cant buy one, so you buy it for $600 and then they pay you 2 grand for it...

What if i told my buddy who is going to a gun show, that if he finds, say a nice ruger redhawk for a good price to pick it up for me... you could say thats a straw buy, but i dont think its an issue, since he can (and will) legally transfer it to you

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mdncool View Post

I think you're shit out of luck.

As I understand it, a parent, or grandparent may "gift" you a firearm, but not a sibling.

I'm really not sure if that applies to handguns though. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in, I'm sure.
    And, yes, the sheriff thing is correct, but I wouldn't count on that happening.

(Looking at his last post of the OP, I have to wonder how much time he got)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The UFA does not define "place of abode", so the definition will come from commonlaw and/or literal explanation. In most cases of commonlaw, place of abode means where you rest or establish residence.

With a comma in front of ", except in his place of abode or fixed place of business," and one after, including "his" - it creates a separation between your place of abode and someone else's place of abode. Now if you stay the night, it becomes your place of abode as well.

Fixed place of business is quite clear. Fixed would be a structure or location. It doesn't imply that you must own it, only that you work there. Paragraph(b)(8) provides additional exemptions. If you would have to go from one office to another, it would be covered. However if you are a delivery person - since that place of business(the vehicle) isn't "fixed", then it wouldn't cover it.
    I agree that this is the conclusion of the laws as they are written except for one thing. In Section 8 it does not state "fixed" place of business. It is under section 6106 Section 1 where it says "fixed".

In Section 8 it says "place of business" and "business". The lack of the word "fixed" as previously described in section 1, leads me to believe that "place of business" and "business" as listed in section 8 includes any place where you have business to conduct. I think the lack of the word being used here says a lot when compared to the context of the rest of the UFA. And this application is also supported by common definitions.

Now granted it may have to be "unloaded and in a secure wrapper" but even that may be up to judicial interpretation based on the need and lack there of a comma after "unloaded and in a secure wrapper". I only mention this because it states that you can carry to recover stolen property, however what would the use be if it had to be unloaded and secured in a wrapper non the less? - further implying the the "unloaded and in a secure wrapper" applies only when transporting it from the place of purchase. Which would make even further sence since they used the word "wrapper" instead of something like "case, locking device, etc etc.

By losing the understanding of these words and their applicable meanings... we lose rights. Even the punctuation is important.

Btw Im not a lawyer and i dont suggust anyone apply what ive said without speaking with a lawyer.

(Allegheny County)

wow, I was trying to figure out what the above post was about...

Had to go back and look at the posts from 2007 to figure it out.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Thanks alot for all the posts!

(Bucks County)

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I'm in the same boat. I'm 19 and want to buy a pistol. Someone posted that a person under 21 can't buy a pistol through a private transaction in PA. Does private transaction mean one person to another or does it include businesses?

Basically, my question is, can I as a 19 year old, buy a gun from a gun store in PA? Could I buy one online and have it transferred through an FFL in PA?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast