Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Question Para Ordnance 1911 A1?

What are these worth & are they worth owning? Local shop has a used one for $400.
    I was looking to find another used RIA 1911, but coming up empty so if this is a deal I may have to snag it.

Default Re: Para Ordnance 1911 A1?

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    What are these worth & are they worth owning? Local shop has a used one for $400.
    I was looking to find another used RIA 1911, but coming up empty so if this is a deal I may have to snag it.
    What are the sights on the Para. I picked up a Para GI Expert becuase i didnt want have the change out the mil style sights on the RIA. My para came with an okay set of three dot sights.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    What are the sights on the Para. I picked up a Para GI Expert becuase i didnt want have the change out the mil style sights on the RIA. My para came with an okay set of three dot sights.
    I do not recall so let's assume they are the worst sights they can come w/from the factory.

(Berks County)

I have the GI Expert. Nice, tight, accurate pistol. Sights are excellent, for me.
    I just swapped out the mags with Kimbers. I also replaced the black plastic grips with rosewood ones. Very happy with it.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

I 've been shooting a Para Ordnance P16 for about 5 years in local USPSA matches. I find it to be well made and reliable but did make alot of changes over the years. I changed the hammer, sear and trigger and added a Dawson magwell. It shoots as good as those similar 1911 style pistols that cost upwards of $2,000. I paid $800 for mine new with one mag 5 years ago. I have no complaints as far as Para Ordnance pistols go. Hoow does it look as far as wear or abuse? You may have found a decent 1911 that you can always upgrade later on.

(Monroe County)

I dont have a Gi but i have these 2 Paras Tac-s and LTC, excellent firearms that have yet to fail , but bear in mind that thet are the second most hated 1911's right behind Taurus.

There are people on here who will tell you with a strait face that primitive RIA is better than a Para.

I wouldnt hesitate to get another one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I cn't afford some of the "hand fitted" 1911s. The Para will do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Monroe County)

Look up the video on you tube of Todd Jarret torture testing the Gi by firing 1000 rounds of ammo through it non-stop.

It is rumored that thier Customer service is poor . I cant say it is because i never had to use it.

I love my PARA , After 1000rd+ of steel and brass rounds. I have only had 2 malfunctions and they were when the gun was spanking new and I was using chip 10rd mags.

Since then she has run like butter. Only down side I have seen so far is the finish is not the best. I run a bunch of kydex holsters and pretty much try to spend an hr a week practicing my draw and dry fire drills and you can see a lot of wear.
    Tantric Shooting Team