Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm having trouble tearing down my SKS

On impulse, I bought an SKS this weekend, but I've been unable to tear it down. I can't get the teardown pin out of the rear of the receiver or get the trigger group out either. Any ideas I can use to get it apart?

Default Re: I'm having trouble tearing down my SKS

try this http://stevespages.com/pdf/sks_china.pdf

im not good at writing directions
    FJB

Good directions, thanks. Using those I was able to get the bolt assembly out and apart, still can't get the release on the trigger group to budge though. I made sure the safety was off, can't see anything else blocking it.

(Berks County)

There is a great tutorial with pictures here at the surplusrifle website also: http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

Right hand column has a the disassmbly/reassembly guides.

One thing, a buddy had a Yugo that wouldn't come apart when he first got it. While we were pushing the trigger group release button/tab, we had to simultaneously pull up on the trigger guard to "pop" it loose.

There was so much dried up cosmolene between the trigger guard and the wood stock it had pretty much glued itself together. It took a little bit of force to get it loose the first time. After a good cleaning out of all the cosmolene, the rifle take down was fine after that.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

On mine the top action piston and hand guard would not come off, eventually I pried it up with a flat head screwdriver. I was replacing the stock and hand guard anyway
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(York County)

A friend and I also had trouble getting the trigger assembly off at first. Lucky for you, these rifles are designed by Soviet Russia, so beating them with a hammer and screwdriver is actually part of regular maintenance! If it helps, we jammed the screwdriver into the trigger release and pounded on it with our hands until it broke free. This is how we get the trigger assembly out, everytime (although now it only takes some light tapping).

^^^^this^^^^^^

thats exactly what you have to do, at least in my experience's.

you aint goin to hurt it
    FJB

(Monroe County)

Actually the little depression in the trigger assembly release is designed to be released using the point of a catridge which i have done many times , assuming that its a chinese or rusky gun you are talking about which i own many varieties. However the first time you do it it will feel very tight as you are experiencing now which is a good sign- gun probably never have been broken down before.

The assembly is fitted tightly to prevent the assembly from falling out with recoil.

(Monroe County)

The receiver pin must by rotated so it is vertical so it will slide out. The safety must be on to push in the trigger release. The trigger will not go in or out unless it is in the safe position.

It takes pushing down with a flat screw driver on the trigger release with a good deal of force to release it. I weight 230 and I have to lean into it pretty good to get it to release. Putting it back in requires the same effort.

If you are putting in an aftermarket magazine, be warned that they jam all the time.
    Last edited by tsafa; November 23rd, 2010 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post
    The receiver pin must by rotated so it is vertical so it will slide out. The safety must be on to push in the trigger release. The trigger will not go in or out unless it is in the safe position.

It takes pushing down with a flat screw driver on the trigger release with a good deal of force to release it. I weight 230 and I have to lean into it pretty good to get it to release. Putting it back in requires the same effort.

If you are putting in an aftermarket magazine, be warned that they jam all the time.
    Thank you, that is contrary to what I had read on other websites, but you're right. Turning the safety off and leaning my body weight on it got it apart.

I did pick up a pair of aftermarket mags that I'm going to experiment with. I figure cheap parts on an inexpensive gun are good for experimenting. If I can make it work, then great, if not I'll always have the factory fixed mag.

Thanks for everyone's help, I think I got all I needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast