Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default "Just a Citizen"

I did a search on these three words in the PAFOA forum and this phrase comes up many, many times. I get a little upset when I see these three words used when a police or anti encounter is reported, or when a video is captured. Mostly in the concealed and open carry section.

Why would we say to the police, sheriffs, constables (polling places), or to security guards (court houses, malls, ballparks, banks, etc.), or to anyone, when asked the age-old question; "Are you a policeman??", - No, I am just a citizen.....

It almost sounds demeaning, like we are second class to all others..???

Because we carry a firearm and exercise our rights..???

Can anyone come up with something that is much more appropriate???

Thanks,

I am a citizen, but I am so much more than "just a citizen"....

(Bucks County)

Default Re: "Just a Citizen"

Quote Originally Posted by PRRFan View Post
    I did a search on these three words in the PAFOA forum and this phrase comes up many, many times. I get a little upset when I see these three words used when a police or anti encounter is reported, or when a video is captured. Mostly in the concealed and open carry section.

Why would we say to the police, sheriffs, constables (polling places), or to security guards (court houses, malls, ballparks, banks, etc.), or to anyone, when asked the age-old question; "Are you a policeman??", - No, I am just a citizen.....

Thanks,

Good point, I never thought of it like that. How about "I am a citizen?"

(Lancaster County)

I've never been asked when out, but if someone did ask I would probably just say "No" and then go about my business. I don't see any real need to say anything else.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

When I was a police officer they would call a non police officer a civilian. Funny thing is that municipal, state and federal police unless they are military police are also civilians.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PRRFan View Post

Thanks,

There is nothing greater than citizen. We are the sovereign of the nation. Police and politicians are servants to us.

Even PA's House Speaker McCall recognized that when stated during his retirement speech last week after the HB1926 vote that he is being elevated to the position of constituent.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 22nd, 2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo/grammar

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is nothing greater than citizen. We are the sovereign of the nation. Police and politicians are servants to us.

Even PA's House Speaker McCall recognized that when stated during his retirement speech last after the HB1926 vote week that he is being elevated to the position of constituent.
    Ding Ding Ding! The winning post thus far. Rep will be sent as soon as the site will let me.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Washington County)

Constituent, I like that, too bad it would just confuse most people.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    Constituent, I like that, too bad it would just confuse most people.
    Need we say more about the value of an education?

(Chester County)

I have given that response before.

When I tell someone I am "just a citizen", it means that I am an American and I live in what is still the freest country in the world with a rich heritage of liberty, which most of my fellow citizens neither understand nor exercise.

It means I do not have to produce a certificate, license, badge, uniform, orders, instructions, directive, statute or job description to justify my actions. I do not need to show "evidence" that a harmless activity I am indulging in is allowed to me.

In short, as stated before, being "just a citizen" is ultimately the highest position in the land, with the highest responsibility as well, and I have never considered it demeaning in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I agree. Our egalitarian ideals may be in tatters, and they may never have really existed to the point some of us think they should, but they are our ideals nonetheless.

I have used the phrase frequently in real life, and may have typed it here from time to time. I do not feel demeaned in its use, nor do I have pretension to anything other than being a citizen. I have no use for those who consider themselves elite. If someone else wants to consider me elite (and many do in my profession) that is their business. But as far as I am concerned, I am just a regular guy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast