Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Double strike or tap-rack?

The question came up yesterday at the range when my buddy and I were practicing clearing drills. I've never had any formal training but I do understand a lot of basic handgun manipulation techniques, I just have to actually practice the them when I can. We were shooting my M&P40C and his new Sig P220 Carry Elite Dark. We loaded each other's magazines with an undisclosed number of snap caps in random places. Certain mags had no snap caps, others were purposely loaded with only one or two or 2-3 consecutive caps to 'force' a mag change. Anyway...

When using a pistol with double strike capability, such as a Sig DA/SA, and you hear the deafening "click", is it generally recommended to attempt another trigger pull in hopes that you'll hear a bang instead or is it better to train as if it were like my M&P, where you only get one trigger pull and you must tap/rack?

In one way I can understand that simply pulling the trigger again and hoping for a louder noise is kind of pointless, but you may get it to fire so there's the benefit of one round that is not lost on the ground. Then again, when it counts that's an extra second or so wasted when you could easily just clear the dead round and try with a fresh one.

As I said, I have no formal training so while I might be able to see logic in my reasoning, I know there's probably a correct answer out there somewhere. So, for the guys using a weapon like a Sig... double strike first, then tap/rack or skip the second trigger pull and get a fresh round in the chamber ASAP?
    Last edited by DC2.2GSR; November 22nd, 2010 at 04:02 AM.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Double strike or tap-rack?

I have had 3 failures to fire. 2 with my Taurus 24/7 that fired the 2nd trigger pull. One with my Kimber SIS that fired after recocking the hammer and pulling the trigger. In training we were told to tap-rack the Kimber when doing tactical training drills.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Philadelphia County)

Tap/rack is my preference. I'm shooting a dao. I'd rather just get it out and start fresh

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel.seacat View Post
    Tap/rack is my preference. I'm shooting a dao. I'd rather just get it out and start fresh
    I would have to agree...
    Tantric Shooting Team

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Pulling the trigger again is a potential waste of time whereas
    a tap/rack is a definative process. I understand seconds count at least you KNOW it's gonna fire.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Westmoreland County)

Tap-Rack is a universal solution. Second strike is a solution available on a limited number of platforms.

What if scenarios are endless. Some carry different systems on different days. Some carry occasionally. The tool found in your hand at the time may be a battlefield pickup that is unfamiliar. The flip side to the argument is what if it occurs on the last round in the magazine? There is no hard fast answer.

Universal solutions work universally.

Move off the X. Perform malfunction drill. Get the tool to function. Resume if necessary.

Most importantly, move off the X while doing so.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Allegheny County)

Click = Tap/Rack, etc..................(whatever you choose to call the drill these days).
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Montgomery County)

If I hear click while shooting I will pull the trigger again, but I carry and practice with revolvers.

Back on topic, (I also shoot autoloaders, never carry them) I would do a malfunction drill immediately if I heard a click with an auto. Here is a great video from Thunder Ranch on how to do it right:

Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

Depends, is it the last round in the mag? How much time do you have? Do you have a free hand, or is your left hand busy fending off the attacker? Lots of questions come into play and I think the "right" thing to do depends on the situation.

I prefer tap and rack. I think i'll only use 2nd strike if i can't quickly rack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast