Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default $1500- Anything better than Dan Wesson Valor SS?

So, that pretty much sums it up. I want a mid to high end 1911 for range, occasional carry, and all around fun. I can get a DW Valor stainless for around $1500. I love the looks of the Valor and I hear great things, so I'm close. Does anyone have any suggestions I may not be thinking of, used guns aside? This will not be primary carry (G19) or primary HD (DDM4, G19 w/33rnd mag) but simply for some occasional carry and range fun. That said, my only requirement is "as close to 100%" reliability as possible. Thanks!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Northampton County)

Default Re: $1500- Anything better than Dan Wesson Valor SS?

Springfield Armory TRP.

The DW's are nice, but the TRP's magwell and SA's reputation for customer service (if ever needed) are unbeatable.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Bucks County)

I have a DW Valor ... it is an awesome firearm. Consider it in the same league as Wilson and Les Baer but at a reduced price. Pull the trigger and it always goes bang. Sure, SA Customer Support is great, but so is DW. If you want to compare an SA to DW Valor, it will need to be the FBI SWAT contract 1911, which is excellent (and pricey).

(Delaware County)

I have TRP and it's also excellent. It hasn't needed SA support, but I know they will pay the freight both ways should I ever need it. Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by thundrr1; November 21st, 2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Montgomery County)

Smith and Wesson Performance Center 1911. Few firearms manufacturers have the skilled staff that the Smith and Wesson Performance Center boasts. I have shot one of the 1911 variants from the Performance Center and I can say it is about the finest 1911 one can buy.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I'd place the quality of the DW above both the SA and the S&W (and of those two, I like the S&W better - esp. the Pro series). You should look at Fusion 1911's. Bob Cerva, the owner of Fusion, was the owner of Dan Wesson, and largely responsible for the reputation they enjoy today, before he sold it to CZ. Either Bob had a great lawyer or CZ a lousy one, because, obviously, there was no non-compete clause in the buy-out contract.

Bob is in business as Fusion Firearms building semi-custom 1911's. These are probably closer to custom than semi-custom as you can pretty much have them built your way. I priced out a SS 1911 9mm, with a lot of bells & whistles and it was only $1773 - so your $1500 is in the ball park. Use the models on his website as a starting point and modify as you like. Be aware, any change - even if it might be considered a downgrade (like changing a FLGR to a GI set-up) will incur additional cost, just because it IS a change. But in the end, you'll have one built your way. E-mail Bob for a quote - took him less than a day to do mine.

When I decide to pull the trigger, that's the way I'm gonna go.

YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    I'd place the quality of the DW above both the SA and the S&W (and of those two, I like the S&W better - esp. the Pro series). You should look at Fusion 1911's. Bob Cerva, the owner of Fusion, was the owner of Dan Wesson, and largely responsible for the reputation they enjoy today, before he sold it to CZ. Either Bob had a great lawyer or CZ a lousy one, because, obviously, there was no non-compete clause in the buy-out contract.

Bob is in business as Fusion Firearms building semi-custom 1911's. These are probably closer to custom than semi-custom as you can pretty much have them built your way. I priced out a SS 1911 9mm, with a lot of bells & whistles and it was only $1773 - so your $1500 is in the ball park. Use the models on his website as a starting point and modify as you like. Be aware, any change - even if it might be considered a downgrade (like changing a FLGR to a GI set-up) will incur additional cost, just because it IS a change. But in the end, you'll have one built your way. E-mail Bob for a quote - took him less than a day to do mine.

When I decide to pull the trigger, that's the way I'm gonna go.

YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Bob, I think you are a bit misinformed as to what I speak about. The Pro Series from Smith and Wesson is not the Performance Center. In fact, the Pro Series of Smith and Wesson is a slightly upgraded version of regular factory runs. The Smith and Wesson Performance Center is staffed by revolver fitters and pistol makers with usually 20+ years of experiences, carefully selected from the factory. There is absolutely no comparison between a Pro Series and a Performance Center gun made by Smith and Wesson. This is a common confusion. The Performance Center builds guns entirely in the PC, by the master gunsmiths. The Pro Series has some enhancements done by the PC, yet still made in the factory. (PC light if you will)

The easiest way for the consumer to identify the difference is the manufacturing stamp of the weapon. A firearm manufactured in the Performance Center will be stamped with a smaller logo, in place of the normal Smith and Wesson logo on the frame. In this space it will clearly say "Performance Center."

Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lehigh County)

I've seen new Les Baer's go for less than 1600. Granted that's a basic Concept or Premier. Get in touch with Hammond from 1911forum and see what he can do for you.

I like the Dan Wesson 1911s and they probably shoot as well as any 1911 in its price group. I bet that will be one fine handling near Custom 1911.

I just wonder if the Dan Wessons hold there value as well as the other Name Brand $1500 - $2000 guns?

One thing for sure if they keep making nice products like this they soon will.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Bob, I think you are a bit misinformed as to what I speak about. The Pro Series from Smith and Wesson is not the Performance Center.
    Steve, where in my post did I say anything about the S&W PC? I wasn't referencing your post, it was just a general statement. I specified Pro Series and that's what I meant. I am well aware of the difference. They are a cut above the regular production, but not up to PC standards. My comments were more about ranking S&W and SA than anything else

Sorry, not getting "pissy", just wondered where that came from - it's not always about you

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast