Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Pregnant GF Shooting A Gun?

my wife went to shooting with me all the way up until 2 weeks before she delivered our beautiful daughter.

I talked to the doctor when she was 18 weeks, and she said that the she really didn't see anything wrong with it, as long as:

No high power rifle
    No shooting in indoor range with poor ventilation
    No .22LR(or shooting any exposed lead ammo)
    No loading magazine(ever notice how black your finger is after leading several magazines?)
    No running/prone/heavy lifting
    As long as wife feels up to it(dah!)

She said that noise wouldn't bother baby at all(just try to listen anything under the water - You know how muffle the sound is under the water)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    I guess I should have posted some random internet facts too, then maybe you would have believed me. Rather than the fact that I just went through it first hand myself.
    You did post a random Internet fact. He posted a reference to an actual scientific study rather than a paraphrase of some doctor's offhand exaggeration.

(Chester County)

I guess I should have posted some random internet facts too, then maybe you would have believed me. Rather than the fact that I just went through it first hand myself.
    My "random" internet fact was posted because I'm a trained sound guy (I worked on signal processing software for submarine towed-array hydrophones) who understands the acoustics of a soundwave traveling through air, flesh and fluid. Instead of just expecting you to take my word for the fact that a womb and ear full of amniotic fluid is better than any passive ear protection you can wear, I posted a peer-reviewed medical journal article on point.

(Philadelphia County)

This is good info, I was concerned about this as I heard many negatives about it earlier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    "I guess I should have posted some random internet facts too, then maybe you would have believed me. Rather than the fact that I just went through it first hand myself."-brownman

My "random" internet fact was posted because I'm a trained sound guy (I worked on signal processing software for submarine towed-array hydrophones) who understands the acoustics of a sound wave traveling through air, flesh and fluid. Instead of just expecting you to take my word for the fact that a womb and ear full of amniotic fluid is better than any passive ear protection you can wear, I posted a peer-reviewed medical journal article on point.-johnnysquire

Johnny, no negativity directed towards you or your post. Matter of fact I greatly appreciated your post/links, very informative and knowledgeable. " Random facts" might not have been the best choice of words on my part and again it wasnt directed towards you. Was just kind of saying to Philbert it was shitty of you to call BS on me for my "earplug's x10" post when I just went through the whole pregnant/baby/womb deal less than a year ago. And had sought out thoughts and info from knowledgeable people in the field.

Your post was almost like "backup" to what I had said.
    I'm not that computer literate and just type stuff I have had experience with first hand rather than citing all kinds of facts and expect people to believe it because I just did it or went through it in the past. Rather than post links and stuff
    Thanks again for the info
    Last edited by brownman; November 27th, 2010 at 01:00 AM.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Philadelphia County)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    "I guess I should have posted some random internet facts too, then maybe you would have believed me. Rather than the fact that I just went through it first hand myself."-brownman

My "random" internet fact was posted because I'm a trained sound guy (I worked on signal processing software for submarine towed-array hydrophones) who understands the acoustics of a sound wave traveling through air, flesh and fluid. Instead of just expecting you to take my word for the fact that a womb and ear full of amniotic fluid is better than any passive ear protection you can wear, I posted a peer-reviewed medical journal article on point.-johnnysquire

Johnny, no negativity directed towards you or your post. Matter of fact I greatly appreciated your post/links, very informative and knowledgeable. " Random facts" might not have been the best choice of words on my part and again it wasnt directed towards you. Was just kind of saying to Philbert it was shitty of you to call BS on me for my "earplug's x10" post when I just went through the whole pregnant/baby/womb deal less than a year ago. And had sought out thoughts and info from knowledgeable people in the field.

Your post was almost like "backup" to what I had said.
    I'm not that computer literate and just type stuff I have had experience with first hand rather than citing all kinds of facts and expect people to believe it because I just did it or went through it in the past.
    Thanks again for the info
    No personal offense was intended, that would be shooting the messenger, so to speak, since you weren't making the claim but rather relaying what others had told you. As I said, to claim that the uterine environment provides ten times the protection of earplugs against gunfire is a strong statement, which should be backed by strong evidence, and I don't know that the specific question of gunshot noise in utero has been sufficiently addressed. I distrust offhand remarks involving the phrase "ten times as much as" or "99.9% of the time", because they are often tells for a lack of precise knowledge.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456