Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Magazine limit in NJ?

I tried looking online but couldn't find anything. Does New Jersey have a limit on how many rounds a handgun magazine can hold? A friend of mine wants to buy my M&P 9mm fullsize which has 17 round mags. Is it legal?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Magazine limit in NJ?

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    I tried looking online but couldn't find anything. Does New Jersey have a limit on how many rounds a handgun magazine can hold? A friend of mine wants to buy my M&P 9mm fullsize which has 17 round mags. Is it legal?
    17 rnd magazine Not legal:

2C:39-1y."Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

2C:39-3j.Any person who knowingly has in his possession a large capacity ammunition magazine is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree unless the person has registered an assault firearm pursuant to section 11 of P.L.1990, c.32 (C.2C:58-12) and the magazine is maintained and used in connection with participation in competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship of the United States Department of the Army
    Last edited by tl_3237; November 20th, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
    IANAL

(Lancaster County)

Simple solution, get a Glock 19 with standard 15rnd magazines. Just stay away from those evil guns that have 17rnd magazines.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    17 rnd magazine Not legal:

2C:39-1y."Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

2C:39-3j.Any person who knowingly has in his possession a large capacity ammunition magazine is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree unless the person has registered an assault firearm pursuant to section 11 of P.L.1990, c.32 (C.2C:58-12) and the magazine is maintained and used in connection with participation in competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship of the United States Department of the Army
    Thanks! I couldn't find anything online.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Simple solution, get a Glock 19 with standard 15rnd magazines. Just stay away from those evil guns that have 17rnd magazines.
    I'll pass on a Glock. Owned a G26 and wasn't impressed. I'll stick with my M&P9c.

(Northampton County)

It's 15 rounds.

Also, you cannot plug a mag, even permanently, that might otherwise hold more than 15 rounds. NJSP released a letter stating that, with no notice, if you had a plugged mag it would be illegal to own, transport, dispose of, or destroy. Wake up in the morning and you are a criminal with no recourse when that letter went out.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    It's 15 rounds.

Also, you cannot plug a mag, even permanently, that might otherwise hold more than 15 rounds. NJSP released a letter stating that, with no notice, if you had a plugged mag it would be illegal to own, transport, dispose of, or destroy. Wake up in the morning and you are a criminal with no recourse when that letter went out.
    Yes and no. Permanent plug is OK, temporary not OK. From the administrative code --

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2 Definitions
    "Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container, which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. A large capacity ammunition magazine that has been permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition will cease to be defined as a "large capacity ammunition magazine". An ammunition magazine, which has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood or a pin, is still considered to be a "large capacity ammunition magazine."
    IANAL

Just call the large capacity ammunition magazine a CLIP and you'll be fine

Just a joke, folks

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Just call the large capacity ammunition magazine a CLIP and you'll be fine

Just a joke, folks
    Just for giggles , there is the following use of "clip" in the statutes and admin code:

N.J.S. 2C:39-1r. "Weapon" means anything readily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury. The term includes, but is not limited to, all (1) firearms, even though not loaded or lacking a clip or other component to render them immediately operable;
    IANAL

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Yes and no. Permanent plug is OK, temporary not OK. From the administrative code --
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Do you have a copy of the letter that went out from the NJSP? I can't find it on the internet right now.

It doesn't matter to me from a pratical standpoint. But I am curious to see it again. It was a shitstorm when it hit.

How would one get a "permanent plug"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast