Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default New to Doylestown

Hey everyone... New to the area, checking out the gun laws down here.
    I am coming from CT with a carry permit and trying to figure out the plan of attack to get legal here. I currently left my S&W .40 M&P pistol, Remington .840 tactical and my M44 Carbine back in CT till I figure out the details...

Can anyone confirm my findings...

I need to apply for a new pistol permit with local Sherrifs office.... Till then, leave pistol back in CT?

Rifle and Shotgun can come down now without having to notify anyone....?

Thanks and glad to be here! Seems like a great town!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New to Doylestown

hey thanks for the info! - so, regarding the shotgun and rifle... no issues right?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    hey thanks for the info! - so, regarding the shotgun and rifle... no issues right?
    No issue's, bring them with also.

(Montgomery County)

A little off topic here, although it is related to Doylestown. If you haven't already, find the Victory brewery and restaurant. Great food and IMO one of the best breweries in the state.

(Monroe County)

Welcome to the land of yuppies and trendy shops along with ridiculous taxes and overinflated real estate. Sorry about that. I got out of Bucks when it was still rural farmland. LOL
    Pa on the whole is a good state.

(Bucks County)

i will def. check out Victory! thanks for the heads up!

(Bucks County)

oh I am very familiar with the Victory Hop Devil beer! they sold that up in CT in some of the micro brew shops.. I look forward to checking it out!

Your fine bringing your long guns, just transport them according to federal interstate law. Unloaded, locked in a case and any ammo in a separate locked case.

Your going to love getting your License To Carry Firearm (LTCF) in Doylestown. Go the the Sheriff's Department in the courthouse, fill out the application, pay your money, get your photo card on the spot...on an average day it'll take 20-30 minutes. The courthose now has the usual security measures so refrain from taking anything they don't want inside such as a firearm or knife. But if you do want to carry those objects you will be provided with a locker to store them in but it's such a hassle I find it easier to just leave those things in the car.

http://www.wicenshootingrange.com/ For some good outdoor shooting try Wicen's Farm, commonly known as The Farm around here.
    http://www.classicpistol.com/ For indoor this is a good place.

There are others but these are the closest to you that I'm aware of. Both have solid reputations for good business practices. Wicen's will require you pass a separate "qualification" for handguns, rifles and shotguns, essentually they witness you unpack, load, fire and safe your firearm then sign off. You will be required to purchase a one time range card for $15, then each qualification will be $5 and then $15 for the day. So your first trip will be pricey. But their good people with strong RSOs, which may or may not be a good thing for you personally. Some people prefer (or need) strong range oversight, some don't.

There are also a few clubs in the area, most a short drive from you. I'm sure others who belong to those will come along and tell you more about those venues.

Now go find High Rocks Vista, Ringing Rocks Park and River Road. Both parks are close to River Road and the road itself is listed as a Scenic Drive. Just be kind to the residents along the road and keep your speed reasonable, the local cops will hammer you if you violate the traffic laws. Bucks has a lot to explore. Once you have your bearings start taking the side roads, there are a lot of treasures to be found. I grew up on the Bucks/Philly border and have lived in bucks for 17 years now. I explore regularly and still discover new things.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Bucks County)

Man Thanks! That is all great info!

Thanks so much! I will hit the range for sure and I will also make sure to get my carry permit rolling this week.

Thanks for the info on places to explore.
    My Fiance will be very happy. She loves to get outdoors and hike!

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    Man Thanks! That is all great info!

Thanks so much! I will hit the range for sure and I will also make sure to get my carry permit rolling this week.

Thanks for the info on places to explore.
    My Fiance will be very happy. She loves to get outdoors and hike!
    Then she is going to love High Rocks. It's main feature is 265' cliffs that are a climbing mecca for the area. I started climbing there as a teen. Of particular sentimentality to me is the fact it was once owned by my favorite author, James Michner who is also a Doylestown favored son. High Rocks has a trail that goes on for miles in either direction from the parking area. I suggest to the left (east) till you get to the cabins in Tohican Park. Take River Road to Point Pleasant. (BTW, at Point Pleasant there is a shop, identifiable by the lawn ornaments in front, that is spectacular inside. Drive up the drive that points to Bucks County River Country (tubing and canoeing) and go left at the first side driveway. Your in for a treat. The place is much larger than it appears, prices aren't crazy like New Hope and your find a new surprise in every turn.) After passing that store make your first left, it's at an angle and there is a church right there at the split. McCaffery Rd. Take that a mile or so to Tory Rd on your left. Follow that to a Y intersection and bare left. 1/4 mile on the right is parking, cliffs across the road. My favorite path isn't a path. Once you clear past the cliff it becomes a long steep slope down to the creek. Go down to the creek. A rock stream of beauty. In the winter it's awe inspiring with the water flowing through, over and under the ice. Go upstream till your back at the cliffs and find your way up to the base of the cliffs. This isn't for the Sunday walk in the park crowd which is perfect to my thinking. Your going to get your feet wet and clothes dirty. You may be able to avoid wet feet but why bother?

The gems in Bucks are in the nooks and crannies. One recent discovery for me is a flat rock stream that is only flowing after a rain. Take 611 north to Quarry Rd (there are several Quarry Rds in Bucks) just a bit past the Rt.412 intersection (look for the Ford dealer). Quarry is a little gravel side road on the right. When you get to the old stone arch bridge your there. Park in the spot just before the bridge (on the right). Walk down hill from the bridge in the stream bed. Along the way you'll come across a spring that creates a trickle down the stream bed. In about a mile your going to find a small waterfall (6' or so) that empties into a perfect pool. I would imagine that in the summer you could skinny dip there and not be discovered. There is little sign that people ever go there, no trash and such, or relatively little. Also in that general area are the Durham Caves. I'm still searching for those. They are off limits for exploration as they are a bat sanctuary. The exact location is kept closely guarded for obvious reasons, people will screw it up. That was how I found the Rapp Creek, looking for the bat caves. Of course, if I find the caves I won't enter or in anyway molest the bats, I just want to find them. I won't tell anyone else where they are either.

Off River Road north of New hope, just past Phillip's Mill, is Ely Rd. Take it. There is a small mill/pasture/house there that is spectacular. Further up RR is a quarry. Make the turn (away from the river, as if you had a choice) and just drive. Another beautiful road is at Bridge#4, try it. The bridges that span the Canal are not named but numbered. We also have lots of covered bridges to find. The bridges are quaint but nothing particularly special other than rare but the drive to them....a wonderland. Just Google our covered bridges and take it from there.
    Last edited by ErSwnn; November 21st, 2010 at 02:42 PM.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast