Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Question on shipping an SBR from out of state?

I have an opportunity to purchase an SBR I've intended on building myself. However, someone has essentially the kit I wanted already completed and good to go for a decent price. Problem is they're in another state.

So I ask the SBR/C3 officionados here to clue me in as to what I must expect of the process.

For instance:
    1. Is it true it would be a $200 tax stamp to ship from out of state and then an additional $200 stamp for reciept here in PA?

2. Is there an extended wait for my atf approval for a gun shipped from out of state

3. This may be a dumb question but, if it's already registered as an SBR and I want to toss a foregrip on it would I need to AOW it as well?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    R
    www.derespinaknives.com

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Question on shipping an SBR from out of state?

Quote Originally Posted by Derespina Knives View Post
    I have an opportunity to purchase an SBR I've intended on building myself. However, someone has essentially the kit I wanted already completed and good to go for a decent price. Problem is they're in another state.

So I ask the SBR/C3 officionados here to clue me in as to what I must expect of the process.

For instance:
    1. Is it true it would be a $200 tax stamp to ship from out of state and then an additional $200 stamp for reciept here in PA?

If it's listed on a Form 4 then Yes, a $200 tax to the dealer in this state, then another $200 tax to you.

2. Is there an extended wait for my atf approval for a gun shipped from out of state?

Same wait as any other NFA transfer.

3. This may be a dumb question but, if it's already registered as an SBR and I want to toss a foregrip on it would I need to AOW it as well?

No, SBR trumps AOW.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    R

I hope that this helps you.

(Montgomery County)

Wouldn't the out of state transfer to the local dealer be on a F3 (dealer to dealer)? F3 do not require the $200 tax stamp. The Form 4 will require the $200 which is from your local C3 dealer to the individual.

2. My Form 3 (dealer to dealer) took less than 3 weeks. A form 1 I did earlier this year took 6 months. Everyone's experience is different though.

3. Rifles are permitted to have foregrips without an AOW stamp. SBR Short barrel RIFLE. Only title I firearms listed as "pistols" would require the AOW stamp if you wanted to add the pistol grip.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    Wouldn't the out of state transfer to the local dealer be on a F3 (dealer to dealer)? F3 do not require the $200 tax stamp. The Form 4 will require the $200 which is from your local C3 dealer to the individual.
    Well you did not state if the SBR is being sold by a dealer or individual, so...

IF you are buying the SBR from a dealer then yes, it will go from dealer to dealer on a Form 3...

If you are buying from an individual then it will transfer from that person on a Form 4 to your dealer, then to you on the Form 4.

(Chester County)

Awesome info, thanks guys! It would be Form 3 then as it's from a dealer. Pheeew! That added $200 would have sucked.

I though that since the gun was once a pistol that has been coverted to an SBR, it might need an AOW stamp as well, just playing it safe and getting my p's and q's down.

Again, thanks for the great info.
    R
    www.derespinaknives.com

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    No, SBR trumps AOW.

No "trump" involved.

An SBR, with a fwd hand grip, is still a SBR by definition. It fails to be an AOW, by definition due to the stock.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Derespina Knives View Post
    I though that since the gun was once a pistol that has been coverted to an SBR, it might need an AOW stamp as well
    What it "used to be" is irrelevant. A reg'd SBR is a SBR regardless of whether it was made from a title-1 rifle, title-1 pistol, or manufactured from scratch as an SBR.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie