Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Fiance got her first carry gun

After a few months of talking about it, getting a LTCF, handling many guns and shooting a few of them. From LCR to Tomcat and back again. She has a hard time racking most semi's. So we kept getting side tracked to either tip up or revolver. I recently picked up a PK30 and she could rack it with ease. I think it was more a comfort issue, because now she can rack my XD40 on the drop of a dime too. Caliber vs. size vs. cost. Finally she decided on one out of left field. Bersa Thunder CC .380. Since it is primarily a beginner carry gun I didn't object. the cost of shooting a .380 is a little high IMO but its better than some of the other options out there. Bersa has a pretty decent reputation of late so we feel confident that this gun will serve her well until she feels comfortable carrying something a little bigger in size or snappier to shoot.

I would like to officially welcome her to the world of carrying. Best wishes and many years of Safety and Security.

Now let's go shoot it!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Fiance got her first carry gun

So when do her guns become yours? HAHAHAHA
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    So when do her guns become yours? HAHAHAHA
    Never...believe me, they're friends of mine. what's hers is hers for sure...

(Monroe County)

You should have had her try a Berreta 92, a todler can rack the slide on a 92, in any case she chose a nice gun the Bersa is great , i have maNY .380'S AS YOU CAN SEE and the Bersa is my favorite.

Nyman

(Butler County)

Just remember, whats hers is hers and whats yours is hers. Give her your gun and go buy a new one. Congrats on getting interested in guns and shooting.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    You should have had her try a Berreta 92, a todler can rack the slide on a 92, in any case she chose a nice gun the Bersa is great , i have maNY .380'S AS YOU CAN SEE and the Bersa is my favorite.

Nyman
    The 92 is not exactly a purse/carry gun, hehe. I am hoping to get her away from purse carry once she get more of a comfort zone and realizes that the right holster won't be as uncomfortable as she thinks. She does well with the P30 and we have talked about getting a second one for the house/range. Something we can put a light or laser light combo on (got to have toys!). Maybe with some luck she may go to a 9 sub compact or even something along the lines of a P30 as a carry down the road. Personally I like to carry a gun I can shoot comfortably at the range and have more confidence that it will perform (hopefully never) when I need it. Ergo's are another thing it was hard to find a gun she felt comfortable with the grip. Glocks are square, XD's are square, heck most are square unless you spend the loot to get a "quality" gun. Not completely true, there are exceptions, and Bersa was one of them.

Range report soon.

(Northampton County)

Congrats ! I'm in a similar situation with my wife and she is getting used to having guns in her hands.
    Just brought home a CW9 and she grabbed it out of the box before I did and quickly said I like this!

Careful what we wish for.

(Westmoreland County)

Congratulations on her first carry gun.

(Montgomery County)

Congrats on her choosing to be prepared to defend herself!

I got a Thunder on a whim and it's now among my favorites! Just ordered a slide catch as the slide won't stay open after last shot but that's probably from past owners pressing it down instead of pulling the slide back to release it. (Read where a gunsmith says this is a common problem, the catch eventually rounds off.) Otherwise the gun is flawless dependable and accurate.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

I think alot of it is technique. For anyone for that matter, not just a woman. Push/Pull. Push the frame, Pull the slide, can make a world of differance. The slide on my LCP is a pain to rack but this technique makes it easier for sure. Anyhow, glad she got some protection, just make sure she carries it now(or try to encourage it at least). It does no good at home.
    and to the dust you shall return