Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question High Volume Shooting Autoloader Oil/Lube Help

I bought a Winchester Super X3 a few weeks ago for clays and have been shooting about 150-250 rounds through it per week. This is my first autoloader and I don't know much about what kind of oil/lube I should be using on the bolt and rails. The manual is extremely vague in just saying "Apply gun lube and wipe away excess...". I normally use RemOil on my pistols, but for some reason I just don't feel very comfortable using it on my SX3. I tried spraying the rails and bolt with RemOil and wiping away excess, but it doesn't seem to reduce friction very much when cycling the bolt by hand. So I feel like after a few hundred rounds I would be shooting a bone dry gun. (Maybe it's all just in my head?)

Anyway, what kind of oil/lube do you guys use on your autoloaders when you know you'll be shooting a large amount of rounds before cleaning? Should I maybe just try spraying the bolt/rails with RemOil and not wiping it away?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: High Volume Shooting Autoloader Oil/Lube Help

I shoot a Beretta AL391 Urika 2 for trap and shoot around a flat a week.

At the beginning of each round, I shoot a little Rem-oil (with the little straw) with the bolt open onto the rear of the chamber where it rides.

I disassemble the barrel once a week and clean it and my choke tube and wipe off the bolt face and inside the breach.

Every 3000 rounds I pull the bolt assembly - firing pin, etc., piston, trigger group and detail clean it back to "like-new". I use weapon shield on the bolt's moving parts, extractor, shell carrier, and trigger group. I wipe the weapon shield down to just leave a coating.

No stoppages yet.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

^^ What he said ^^

I also have a 391 and go for about the same cleaning schedule, but only go through half as many shells a week (outside of competitions, then it's two cases in two days). Only difference is I use GunButter for both. Seems to attract less crud when shooting dirtier shells.

Just don't over-oil. Too much and it will seem like every dirt particle in the county is magnetically attracted to your action.

Two weeks ago I decided to switch to using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. Although I have a gas gun, so if I have a malfunction due to neglect, it is (or at least has been) due to sluggish gas piston

I've been averaging about 200 rounds a week, cleaning (completely) every week or two. I'll probably start going longer between cleanings just to see what happens.

The only observation so far after the last 325 is that there are no misfeeds or malfunctions.

I'll update with results.