Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default To much trigger finger?

Here's a target from one of my last range trips. This is typical of my shooting at 15 yards, free hand, with my Glock 19. Yeah, it's not great I know. Anyway, it seems a lot of my shots, well all shots are pushed to the left. Could it be to much trigger finger? I may try to add a different back strap to my Glock on the next outing. It's natural for me to use the second pad of my trigger finger to pull the trigger to the rear, and I'm finding that I should be using the first pad, maybe the larger back straps will make that more natural.

Anyway, what say you? Ohh, and yes practice, practice, practice ...

Last edited by keystoneman 85; November 15th, 2010 at 04:52 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: To much trigger finger?

Are you right handed or left handed? I'd think if you're using too much finger, then your shots would pull to the right if you're right handed.

Also, I have a slip on rubber grip for the G19 you can try if you like. I got it and didn't really like it much, but you might find it handy. I'm actually only right down the road from you.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

That's all over the place, so hard to pin down a specific cause.

For those three in the lower left, my guess would be anticipating recoil. A low left impact is typical from that do to involuntarily pushing the gun in anticipation.

Using too much trigger finger would typically cause you to pull the gun, and therefore have shots to the right of where you're aiming.

I've assumed you are shooting righty.

Personally, I had a hard time keeping a constant and uniform grip on my stock G19 grip. I added Agrip from Brooks Tactical and that made a world of difference. So adding the backstrap or some other grip modifications may be what you need.

(Montgomery County)

Righty:

(Berks County)

I am right handed, so to little trigger finger. Hmmm - I'll have to try different backstraps and possibly grips, I have no issues like this with my Smith 686.

Streaker, thanks for the offer if the backstraps don't help I'll let ya know.

(Butler County)

I dunno... your grouping for the most part isnt that bad. I discount the fliers with that many rounds... and at 15 yards I think you got the BG pretty good.

Was this slow and steady, double-taps, rapid fire? Might be you need to start aiming a little right... :-)
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Lancaster County)

If thats shooting freehand at 15 yards thats not bad at all. Sure its a little left of the bulls eye but its 30 feet away. Center mass at 15 yards is decent. I say this from a defense stand point not a comp shooting stand point. Id take those groupings for defense anyday.
    No longer posting

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    I dunno... your grouping for the most part isnt that bad. I discount the fliers with that many rounds... and at 15 yards I think you got the BG pretty good.

Was this slow and steady, double-taps, rapid fire? Might be you need to start aiming a little right... :-)
    For the most part it was 2-3 rounds at a time, spaced by a second or so. No double-taps on this outing. One rapid fire "mag dump". It very well could be my eyes as well.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    For the most part it was 2-3 rounds at a time, spaced by a second or so. No double-taps on this outing. One rapid fire "mag dump". It very well could be my eyes as well.
    psh... that's not bad shooting at all then and I'll bet those fliers are from the mag dump. Love that chart and it helps explain why my shots are also mostly just left of center.

Chiv-imcopyinglycanthropetosaymyshootingisaboutlikethat too-valry
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Montgomery County)

I gotta say too, not bad shooting at all, but if you`re like me, there`s always room for improvement.

A few things I am constantly working on, is placing the pad of my trigger finger on the trigger instead of letting the crook of my first knuckle sneak in there. Put all of my focus on that FRONT site. I`ve experimented with this and found that even if front and rear sites are out of align somewhat, if I am on that front site the shots get there. Not "match get there" but general everyday self defense get there. I also try to focus on pressing the trigger. I try to think of it as pushing a button. I try to use what is known as the "one two" technique. One, on the target, two, press the trigger. It goes, one.....two, and I try to get to a one.two.

And then again. If your like me, I`ll pop off a few hundred rounds in a range session, with two or more guns and I admit I lose focus of what I was trying to accomplish and improve on at some point and am just having fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast