Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Which is the Best 1911 and why?

Yes, I know what I'm doing with this question. I'm loving the 1911, as I feel I've mastered shooting enough to enjoy it's nuances. I'm thinking of getting an Ed Brown Special Forces (with light rail, don't hate) because it would be a great, all purpose gun. I'm wondering if you all have experience with different, more expensive or not 1911s. Currently running a Kimber TLE and Taurus, with a custom build for my Wilson Combat 22 upper on the way... I've shot a ton, from the SA GI to custom shop Kimbers, but want to know what you all like and why. Pictures are always appreciated, too.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Which is the Best 1911 and why?

I dont have a lot of experiance or many rounds through a good number of the top 1911 makers, but my experiances with my Wilson and the TRP I used to own are very favorable. I also know people who have a good number of rounds through custom guns from http://www.rogersprecision.com/
    and are VERY happy with them.

Ive got over 14k through my Wilson with 4 stoppages. 2 where double feeds (same mag, now gone) 1 was in a night shoot and Im not sure if I had a feedway stoppage or if I just never dropped the slide after the reload, and 1 was an early slide lock. That gun has been run in some dirty crappy conditions, and run hard, doing 1k+ weekends in classes and it runs like a sewing machine.

I will suggest that you ask anyone who gives you any specific recomendations to validate that with what the mileage on the gun is and how it was used.

Also, you will find 1911's run best when the operator can properly maintain them. Its not hard, pretty much keep it wet and pay attention to mag wear and extractor tension. This should help:
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...tractor+wilson

(Northumberland County)

i only ever shot a Kimber and RIA 1911, i own the RIA 1911 and it never jams when i use Lucas Gun Oil . i tried various gun oils and Lucas stays on it the longest.

(Westmoreland County)

The best is the custom one built frame up just for your needs.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Lebanon County)

any of them made prior to 1946.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

I was going to give a smart a-- response like "One that works!", but that's not really fair.

Back in the 90s I had a Kimber that worked pretty good, I liked playing around with it, but since my duty gun was a SIG I sold it cuz I wasn't using it enough.

My wife had a Para P14 that she had customized by a gunsmith in Puyallup WA that turned out to be a really good one. She even had a Colt Ofcs model that was made to duplicate the P14 for her carry gun, it also worked pretty good but was a little more finicky in ammo preference.

I have seen guys in training, matches, etc... with lots of different 1911 through the years. Some plain jane ones, some real high end custom ones. Some worked, some didn't.

I guess in the end I can state, I really don't know which is the best 1911.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Chester County)

i have a ria 1911 gi that I absolutely love....to be honest all of my range friends have all makes of 1911s and they all shoot as accurate as the shooter...i personally hve never met a bad one

(Bucks County)

owned a colt that was an absolute toad ( i can hear the cries of "Heresy!") i have a citadel that i trust my life with. i had a para that would drive nails at 25 all day long. the best ine IS the one that works. the best one, is the one you wear, because you know it'll work as expected when you need it to. just my opinion.

(Montgomery County)

i <3 mt TRP, i have a lot of guns and this is the one i never get sick of... Ive begun cutting cards in half at the range with her i fire her so much and get so bored with shooting targets.
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(Luzerne County)

I am incllined to agree with the idea that the best 1911 is the one that you have built for yourself.
    One of the great virtues of the 1911 is how much can be done to it. Any of the brands mentioned so far in this thread could be turned into the gun of your dreams. You need, of course, a competent gunsmith; they are around.
    I have two 1911s. One is a SA loaded that I bought used; it is a fine gun, good trigger, accurate, reliable. Stock.
    The other is a Colt Gold Cup further accurized by the "wizard of the 1911", the late George Madore. That gun will shoot with ANY 1911 made. I am beyond counting the actual number of rounds through that firearm but is in the area of 60K, more not less. A handful of FTF - maybe five - all my own handloads so more my fault than the gun.
    The point being that a good gunsmith can make most 1911s something special.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast