Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR case?

(Berks County)

Default SBR case?

Hello all, I'm looking for a few opinions on a carrying/storage case for my new SBR. I've been looking through the usual online retailers, and have found a soft case from MidwayUSA that looks solid. Still, I'm not in a rush and was curious if anyone here has good experience/information to share. I don't have a preference between hard or soft cases, I just want something as small as possible for my 25" rifle.

Currently, this is the one I have picked out: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=386849. $82 is a nice price.

Thanks,
    G.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: SBR case?

vodoo tactical, good gear...

On a semi-related note (since we're discussing a case to transport an SBR), everyone should be aware that SBR's count as "firearms" under PA law, and you generally need an LTCF to transport one in your car, even unloaded.

That being said, they don't count as guns "other than firearms", so the prohibition on transporting a "rifle" loaded doesn't apply. If you have your LTCF, you can legally transport it loaded or unloaded in a vehicle.

(Butler County)

I use a old briefcase(ya I'm poor) for my m11 & suppressor. I have a Pennsylvania LTCF but would I be allowed to travel thru say New York to shoot NFA with approved 5320's? Sorry to hijack the thread...
    Last edited by mike_g; November 15th, 2010 at 07:08 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

I do not know what your price limit is, but one of my buddies has a LaRue Covert Rifle Case 615-00X. They are on the pricey side at $139, but the case is awesome. I think I am going to be buying one for my new M16 this holiday season as a gift to myself.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=314

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    I use a old briefcase(ya I'm poor) for my m11 & suppressor. I have a Pennsylvania LTCF but would I be allowed to travel thru say New York to shoot NFA with approved 5320's? Sorry to hijack the thread...
    unloaded, ammo separate, with approved 5320.20 you should be covered under the FOPA... but, as jersey and MA like to prove, no guarantees.

gas up in PA, dont stop til ya hit the NY border into the next state.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    unloaded, ammo separate, with approved 5320.20 you should be covered under the FOPA... but, as jersey and MA like to prove, no guarantees.

gas up in PA, dont stop til ya hit the NY border into the next state.

And absolutely abide all of the state's traffic laws so not to get pulled over. 55mph means 55mph, stop signs and red lights means stop, seat belt laws, handheld device while driving laws, etc, etc..

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    On a semi-related note (since we're discussing a case to transport an SBR), everyone should be aware that SBR's count as "firearms" under PA law, and you generally need an LTCF to transport one in your car, even unloaded.

That being said, they don't count as guns "other than firearms", so the prohibition on transporting a "rifle" loaded doesn't apply. If you have your LTCF, you can legally transport it loaded or unloaded in a vehicle.
    Just a question to tuck in my mind for the future.

Would an SBRed ("registered"/engraved) gun still be a "firearm" (in the above context) if they are not in SBR configuration.

In other words if I were to slap a 20" upper on an SBRed AR lower ...

Does it still require a LTCF to drive around (not meeting the direct between exceptions) with?
    Can it be (legally) transported (with LTCF) loaded?

What do you think my chances of ever getting it back are if I was to walk down Market St. in Philly with it slung (with a LTCF of course)?
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    Just a question to tuck in my mind for the future.

Would an SBRed ("registered"/engraved) gun still be a "firearm" (in the above context) if they are not in SBR configuration.

In other words if I were to slap a 20" upper on an SBRed AR lower ...

Does it still require a LTCF to drive around (not meeting the direct between exceptions) with?
    Can it be (legally) transported (with LTCF) loaded?

What do you think my chances of ever getting it back are if I was to walk down Market St. in Philly with it slung (with a LTCF of course)?
    A federally registered SBR, when configured to specs of a full sized rifle, would not be allowed to be transported in a vehicle loaded. PA's law sets the standards for what is covered with a LTCF, not the federal definitions are requirements of guns. When a SBR is dressed as a standard rifle, standard rifle laws then apply in PA for carrying/transporting.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A federally registered SBR, when configured to specs of a full sized rifle, would not be allowed to be transported in a vehicle loaded. PA's law sets the standards for what is covered with a LTCF, not the federal definitions are requirements of guns. When a SBR is dressed as a standard rifle, standard rifle laws then apply in PA for carrying/transporting.
    Thanks, guess I shouldn't go slapping a 20" on a pistol lower either.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast