Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default sbr engravers in pa

I live in Harrisburg (dauphin county) and just mailed in my form 1's. I want to order my stripped lower to be prepared to assemble. Is there an engraver somewhere near me that I can have it sent to? Do they need to be a ffl?
    Last edited by vega; November 15th, 2010 at 02:09 PM.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: sbr engravers in pa

Quote Originally Posted by vega View Post
    I live in Harrisburg (dauphin county) and just mailed in my form 1's. I want to order my stripped lower to be prepared to assemble. Is there an engraver somewhere near me that I can have it sent to? Do they need to be a ffl?
    You haven't purchased a lower yet? How did you fill out your form without a serial number?

I don't know of engravers around you. I just shipped mine off to have it done.

Orion Arms
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

Quote Originally Posted by clarion44 View Post
    You haven't purchased a lower yet? How did you fill out your form without a serial number?
    . . .
    Excellent question. Something seems off here.

(Luzerne County)

As a manufacturer (Form 1), you can use any serial# you wish (unique to your own series).

IOW. If you Form 1 an existing title-1 firearm into a title-2 firearm you can use the original #, or not. Most folk keep the existing# on an SBR from a title-1 lower.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Berks County)

+1 for Orion Arms.

They aren't in PA, but it's a simple process, they do nice work, and it's relatively inexpensive. You have to contact them for pricing and information.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    As a manufacturer (Form 1), you can use any serial# you wish (unique to your own series).

IOW. If you Form 1 an existing title-1 firearm into a title-2 firearm you can use the original #, or not. Most folk keep the existing# on an SBR from a title-1 lower.

Instruction (i) states:

i. If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a. DO NOT ALTER OR MODIFY THE EXISTING SERIAL NUMBER. If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.

I haven't compared this to the statute or regs, but the instructions seem pretty clear (except with respect to 4h). An AR-15 SBR using an existing firearm isn't being made from parts; you'd have to start with a billet and machine the lower receiver yourself to fall into that category.

You could ALSO add your own serial number in 4h, but that would just be superfluous markings, according to the instructions. "The" serial number should be the one on the Title 1 firearm that you're using.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Instruction (i) states:

i. If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a. DO NOT ALTER OR MODIFY THE EXISTING SERIAL NUMBER. If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.

That's the way it's usually viewed, use the existing serial number unless you built the firearm from parts or billet.

(Dauphin County)

Sorry guys I meant that I sent out for the forms, they just came today. Its says us department of justice, bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, blah blah from landover MD so I'm guessing these are the forms I got to fill out. I'm ordering my stripped lower and probly having Orion engrave it. I know the whole thing about not being able to keep an unregistered lower at the same house as a upper so ill keep everything at my gf's place till I get approved. Know how long that might take?

(Armstrong County)

Some guys are seeing 2 months, others are seeing +6 months, and anywhere in between.

I have been using Keith Norman at NFA Investments for my engraving. He is not in PA though, he is in Texas.
    Great job, fast service, and priced well. With Keith, none of my receivers have been out of my hands for more than 1 week, and that including shipping time.
    They spend more time on the UPS truck than at his place.
    Last edited by Nate7667; November 16th, 2010 at 09:10 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    They spend more time on the UPS truck than at his place.
    Well that's no surprize! LOL

+6 months is way out of line and goes back to the days when they were located in Washington D.C.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast