Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Philadelphia County)

Default XD45 acp - same thing as xd45 acp service model?

I finally decided on my first gun!
    I was stuck between the;
    Glock 21 and Glock 30
    Springfield XD45 and XD45 Compact

With the larger mag on the 30, the glock was still too small for my comfort at all. The xd45 was fine with the extended mag, but I didn't like how I could feel it moving. So I cut both compact choices out.

I tried the glock 21 and the xd45 in several IWB holsters and they both felt pretty good honestly even for experimenting. Could climb steps, bend, walk, reach etc without any discomfort or feeling awkward.

So I narrowed it down to going with the XD45 as my first gun since I really feel most comfortable with the .45. I'd like to buy the glock 23 in the future and get a 9x19mm barrel to go back and forth 9mm and .40.

So anyway!

Xd45 vs the xd45 service model - is the only difference that inch shorter barrel? And would that help even slightly in concealing?

(York County)

Default Re: XD45 acp - same thing as xd45 acp service model?

It's really subjective, varying on where on your body you will conceal, your body type, your holster choice, etc. Neither the XD45 Tactical nor the XD45 Service were designed with concealment being a priority, but I have heard that the smaller grip *can* make a difference, once you get past the already large size of the double-stack magazine. The one-inch difference on the barrel length is not really a factor one way or the other.

I have the XD45 Tactical and a full-size Kimber 1911 and I can tell you the thinner profile of the 1911 makes it noticeably more concealable, although I must admit this is just a casual observation because I OC everywhere. My concealing is limited to throwing on a jacket. Even a large button-down shirt can print from time to time. Concealing a pistol like that during the summer months? Good luck with that. If you really are going to conceal seriously, you should probably keep shopping!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    It's really subjective, varying on where on your body you will conceal, your body type, your holster choice, etc. Neither the XD45 Tactical nor the XD45 Service were designed with concealment being a priority, but I have heard that the smaller grip *can* make a difference, once you get past the already large size of the double-stack magazine. The one-inch difference on the barrel length is not really a factor one way or the other.

I have the XD45 Tactical and a full-size Kimber 1911 and I can tell you the thinner profile of the 1911 makes it noticeably more concealable, although I must admit this is just a casual observation because I OC everywhere. My concealing is limited to throwing on a jacket. Even a large button-down shirt can print from time to time. Concealing a pistol like that during the summer months? Good luck with that. If you really are going to conceal seriously, you should probably keep shopping!
    I tried both with desanti's pro-stealths and another couple IWB's and they FELT comfortable. As for looks, the only people who 'noticed' through a regular plain t-shirt were guys looking for it, and it would be if i turned a certain way.

but it surprisingly felt like nothing was there except a part on the hip bone lol

(York County)

To be fair, I guess I should have qualified that all my holsters are OC. I only own one IWB holster, for the Kimber, and that holster is a miserable disappointment.

Admittedly, attempting to conceal a full size .45 with an OWB holster is a tall order!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    To be fair, I guess I should have qualified that all my holsters are OC. I only own one IWB holster, for the Kimber, and that holster is a miserable disappointment.

Admittedly, attempting to conceal a full size .45 with an OWB holster is a tall order!
    Lol i could imagine an OWB being rough lol.

Any differences in the guns i listed?

(York County)

Which guns, specifically, your OP mentions 4 or 5, depending on interpretation?

I am only familiar with the 5" XD45 tactical, and the 4" XD45 Service, having shot both and owing one.

All I know about the Glocks are what I read on the web.