Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Glock 19 accuracy???

I bought a Glock 19 today. It is a 3rd generation. I bought it used but in what appears to be almost new condition. The gun looks like it was barely used as it has all the original color with no wear except where it fit into a holster. Bore looks new. It was probably used as a duty sidearm and saw little action.

I took it to my home range to see how it shoots. I started shooting at about 20 feet. The shots seemed like they were on the 12x12 paper but all over the place. I then decided to shoot from a seated and sported position. My grip is textbook... and I was resting my hands on a shooting rest. I am very accurate with almost any handgun like this. My grouping improved but no where near what I expected. I was probably getting 8 inches at 20 feet... and grouping on the low side. I'm I expecting too much from the gun? I know it is a subcompact, but hay its a "Glock". It does not seem to be shooting much better then my Keltec P11, although the trigger feel is 100 times better on the Glock. Now that I think about it, the Hi Point C9 shoots better.

I find myself getting much tighter grouping with my Beretta 92 and Taurus 1911 at 50 feet then I am getting with the Glock 19 at 20 feet. I was running out of daylight so I only shoot 50 rounds. I would like to hear some opinions from other Glock 19 owners. Do I just need to practice more and get use to this gun? Is this as good as this gun will shoot? Did I get a bad apple? I'm I missing something?

I also bought a Phonix .22 LR today. Very small gun, much more accurate out to 50 feet. The Glock 19 seems to be the only one I have bad aim with.

I am now thinking I should have bought a Glock 17 which has a longer barrel.

Edit: I forgot to mention I am shooting cheap Walmart Ammo, but I do that of all my guns. The 92FS and 1911 are on target on the less.
    Last edited by tsafa; November 15th, 2010 at 12:17 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Glock 19 accuracy???

I hate to say it but maybe it's user error. I have the same G19 Gen 3 and I will blow the center of a target out before I run out of rounds in the magazine. Everyone I have ever let shoot it also shoots decent groupings including my 8yr old son. The angle of the Glock grip takes some getting used to if its your first one. The difference between the 17 & 19 barrel length isn't going to make a huge difference in your accuracy if you ask me. I've shot both side by side and got the same results. Hope this helps a little.

(Lancaster County)

The other two guns you mentioned are much larger frame guns, so I'm gonna assume that you have large hands as well. Chances are, you have too much finger on the trigger for the Glock 19 and may not even be noticing it. Plus the trigger pull on the 19 is very different than the Beretta, might take some getting used to.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Munky View Post
    I hate to say it but maybe it's user error. I have the same G19 Gen 3 and I will blow the center of a target out before I run out of rounds in the magazine. Everyone I have ever let shoot it also shoots decent groupings including my 8yr old son. The angle of the Glock grip takes some getting used to if its your first one. The difference between the 17 & 19 barrel length isn't going to make a huge difference in your accuracy if you ask me. I've shot both side by side and got the same results. Hope this helps a little.
    agreed, although if i only shoot my 1911 and not my glock for a few weeks i do get rust with it... id say put a few hundred rounds down range and you should start getting a better feel for the gun.

Also, you are comparing it to guns (the 1911 and 92 that have much larger frames and weigh a lot more) i say give the 19 some time.
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(Montgomery County)

Have a friend shoot the G19 and see what he/she comes up with on paper. You should also check the sights to see if they are nice and snug, if they are moving around it could cause big problems (although unlikely).

This is what friends are for...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the feedback guys. The sights are fixed.... so there is no movement there. I also bought at Phonix .22 at today, much smaller and I was shooting that very accurate out to 50 feet. The Phonix .22 has a trigger feel similar to the 1911, just smaller.

I am going to go with the advice that I just need to put a few hundred rounds with the Glock 19 down range an get use to the trigger some more. I really like the trigger feel... I guess it just does not like me yet

Thanks for the help guys.

even the keltec is capable of much better accuracy than 8" @ 20ft-- it's not the guns

(Cumberland County)

How many rounds have you put through it? You can't expect to crush your first day at the range. Ok, you can expect to, but you should never be surprised if you don't. Guns you never have shot before will always have a period of you warming up to them. You have to get used to the sights, get used to the trigger.

One thing I've always done, especially if I'm having trouble with accuracy on a new gun; GET CLOSER!

Stand 10 feet away. Shoot there until you're confident and you know exactly what the gun is doing. Then step back.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lackawanna County)

i live close to you so if you would like maybe we can meet up at the range and see what we get. I have all the Glock 9mm's and they all seem to shoot very accurate regardless of barrel length. BTW the 19 is a compact, the 26 is the subcompact.

(Allegheny County)

I've had a G19 for many years now and over the past 2 years as I shoot other guns at our group shoots I have found myself shooting "better" with some other guns. Granted, I don't shot the Glock with enough regularity to be an "expert" with it, but that said, if I'm picking up someone else's gun and effortlessly nailing the target where I want to be hitting it, then there's more to it than just "practice more" as far as I'm concerned.

There are so many factors that can affect one's ability to shoot well, that I couldn't begin to guess what is causing your issue, but for me, I think it's a combination of grip angle/shape, and trigger.

I'd love to be a 1911 shooter, but I can't seem to make that final step - all the "fussiness" and "tweaking" are a turn off to me, so I'm currently researching the offerings that CZ has out there, as I've been really pleased with every one that I've shot thus far.

Oh, and the G19 isn't a subcompact, it's a "compact".

Good luck resolving your issue.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast