Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Old school Hoppe's??

I visited my Uncle today, he's 82. He wanted me to stop by and give me his Rem Model 700 to use for this up coming deer season. We got to talking about just about everything and he showed me his collection and some of his other things like model trains etc

He asked if I wanted to take any cleaning supplies with me with the rifle and before I could say anything he started pulling out his cleaning kit.

He also showed me some tin soldiers he was given as a gift at the age of 2. It was a great time and I got to see a lot of his past people don't get to see.

I had no idea Hoppe's was originally made in Philadelphia..... any idea when they were bought out or when these packages might be from? I assume the 70's?

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Old school Hoppe's??

Sounds like you had a great visit.

It's been a lot of years but I remember the patches and the oil can pictured. Whether it was me cleaning the guns in the 70's or me watching my Dad in the 60's, I don't remember. I don't remember seeing the gun blue stuff.

Dale

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Sounds like you had a great visit.

It's been a lot of years but I remember the patches and the oil can pictured. Whether it was me cleaning the guns in the 70's or me watching my Dad in the 60's, I don't remember. I don't remember seeing the gun blue stuff.

Dale
    I always have a great time visiting. I found dates on the boxes. The majority are marked 10 65 but the gun bluing is marked 10 63 He told me to take them home with me. He kept the oil can as he still uses it for his guns/fishing reels lol. I'm going to hold on to them.

He had showed me two pistols that he has that have been in the family since the 20's according to him. One was a Colt 1908 .25 ACP caliber pistol and the other was a Iver Johnson break action 32cal revolver. Both were carried by women in the family as they were small "purse" guns.
    Last edited by soup; November 15th, 2010 at 12:31 PM.

(Bucks County)

Some rare boxes right there.

Nice Piper cub too!

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    big snip....... and the other was a Irvin & Johnson break action 32cal revolver.
    Are you sure it wasn't an Iver Johnson? Iver Johnson was a Norwegian immigrant who started the Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works, (Yes, that's right!) Co in Mass in the 1880's.

On a side note: Pres William McKinley was assassinated in 1901 with a .32 Iver Johnson revolver, & Robert Kennedy was assassinated in 1968 with an Iver Johnson .22.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iver_Johnson
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't an Iver Johnson? Iver Johnson was a Norwegian immigrant who started the Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works, (Yes, that's right!) Co in Mass in the 1880's.

On a side note: Pres William McKinley was assassinated in 1901 with a .32 Iver Johnson revolver, & Robert Kennedy was assassinated in 1968 with an Iver Johnson .22.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iver_Johnson

HAHA Nice catch, typo, Thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post

I had no idea Hoppe's was originally made in Philadelphia..... any idea when they were bought out or when these packages might be from? I assume the 70's?
    Hoppe's was founded in Philly by Frank A. Hoppe, who, as the story goes, mixed 9 chemicals together in 1903 to come up with "the perfect combination" to remove all primer, powder, lead and metal fouling (thus, Hoppe's Number 9 Solvent). See http://www.gunaccessories.com/hoppes/default.asp.

The company was based in Philly until it was bought by Michael's of Oregon (the Uncle Mike's brand) somewhere around 2000 or 2001, I believe. Michael's of Oregon in turn was bought by Bushnell in 2005.

Nice story and nice snag on those old boxes.