Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoeger 3000

(Berks County)

Default Stoeger 3000

Looking at the Stoeger 3000 12 gauge over/under. Does anyone have any experience with this name? Who makes it? Good, horrible, indifferent? Looking for skeet and sporting clays. Seems to fit the bill with a $399 price tag, interchangable extended chokes, and 28" barrels.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Stoeger 3000

I wouldn't touch one.

I have 3 friends that I shoot with that all started with Stoegers. 2 Condors, 1 3000.

They are junk. Between firing pins, firing pin springs, broken trigger groups, Forends coming apart on the line, and adjustable combs falling off or stripping out - I've spent more time on the line waiting than shooting and they spent time on the line being embarrassed and being docked birds for multiple mis-fires.

All of them have upgraded to quality guns since an haven't looked back.

Maybe you'll have better luck, but I wouldn't shoot one if it was given to me.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Berks County)

YIKES! Any suggestions? Even used trying to stay in the $400 and under range to get started.

(Delaware County)

I have one and love it. Countless rounds of skeet/trap with it in 20ga

Works as good as shotguns twice/three times the price

(Northampton County)

I've been bested by guys shooting a pump 870. One of the guys I shoot with used an 870 for 10 years before spending the money on a Cynergy Classic Trap Combo - and he dusted guys shooting $20,000 guns. He also gave the best advice to new trap shooters I ever heard: "Find $2000. Spend $600 on a pump gun and $1400 on shells."

I tend to look at o/u shotguns the way I look at 1911s. A decent 1911 starts at $1000. A decent, entry level, competition o/u starts at $2500 new.

If you frequent enough trap / skeet / clays, you can find some decent deals on used - and well cared for - guns. In the last few weeks I've seen some Browning XTs for $1600, a Cynergy for $2000, a Beretta 682 Gold E for $1800, a Kriegoff K-80 for $11,500, and a Perazzi MX-8 for $4300.

You can also consider some semi-autos. Lately, I've been shooting a Beretta AL391 Urika 2 that I put a 32" barrel on and a shell catcher in trap league. I'm shooting it better than I shot my 682 Gold E - which is for sale now :-). There is a new 391 parallel target on gun broker right now for $1100.
    Last edited by Skullz; November 14th, 2010 at 09:17 PM.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Lancaster County)

I bought a Condor 12 years ago at Boscov's on a Sunday after my Mossy 835 broke shooting skeet on a Saturday afternoon and I was supposed to go hunting Monday morning. The current round count on that gun is well into 5 digits, although how far in would be a guess. If you pressed me for a guess it would be more than 15K but less than 20K. The action is broken in enough now to make it easy to operate, but there is no slop at all yet and it is definitely not "loose".

I use it to shoot skeet, sporting clays and hunt everything from small game to geese. It has even made a trip to Alaska.

I have 1 relative and 2 friends that have bought Condors on my recommendation and none have been disappointed yet.

They are cheap but sturdy and functional. If you run out of ammo you won't feel bad clubbing a bad guy with it. Don't be afraid of a Stoeger Condor. I have no personal experience with the 3000.

I bought a Franchi 3 years ago and LOVE the 28 gauge barrel set but still shoot the Stoeger almost as much. I also use the Stoeger as a loaner for introducing new shooters to clay bird sports. Only my daughter gets to shoot the Franchi.

(Berks County)

Smile Re: Stoeger 3000

Thank you all. I have googled it and found a fair amount of trouble mainly with the lower barrel extractor. Seems when the customer doesStoeger fixes it (mostly) in a timly manner. Some praise the gun. I think the 3000 is the same as (or just about) as the Condor. The 3000 is a 'Dicks Sporting Goods exclusive' Just due to cost I may jump in with one to start. Lord knowsI can always step up. I wish I could spend the money needed on a truly proven firearm but I am lucky to be able to get something anyway. Again I appreciate it and may see some of you on the line in the near future.Jeff

(Venango County)

If you want a truly bulletproof shotgun on a budget for shooting clays, look at used Remington 1100 autos and Browning Citori O/U's. These have both stood the test of time with countless rounds through them. You should be able to pick up an 1100 for under $400 and a nice basic used Citori for around $1000. Pump shotguns do put you at a disadvantage when shooting doubles so I would not suggest one. All of the under $1000 new O/U's will not stand up for very long as clay guns, they last a lifetime for hunting though, of course there are rare exceptions on closeout guns, like the Winchester 101's that CDNN is selling for $999 or whatever it is.

(Northampton County)

A few other things to consider -

A hunting gun's POA / POI is very different from a competition gun. With a hunting gun, you will generally need to cover your target to hit it - this presents a problem with clay birds at distance. With a a competition gun, you can generally have 1/8" to 1/4" of light between your bead and the bird on a straight-away to smash it.

A mid bead on a gun helps you to know that you're mounting the gun the same way every time, as well as can allow to slightly adjust the POA / POI by changing your mount and the visual space (snowman) between the beads. Hunting guns generally do not come with mid beads. You can easily add a mid bead, but the gun will still shoot "flat".

Hunting o/u's often automatically engage the safety when you close the gun, competition guns do not - not a big deal, but annoying to me :-). Hunting guns sometimes do not have a barrel selector (I know the condor does have it, don't know about the 3000). For sporting clays, a barrel selection is nice, as you can decide which choke to use for what shot.

Best of luck to you!

(Lackawanna County)

I have a Condor 12ga O/U for about 8 yrs now, I also bought it at Boscov's before the started not selling firearms. I will say from personal experience that I love it. I shoot small game, trap & skeet with it just as well as the $2000 Beretta, and I'm not afraid to drag it around in the brush fearing that it will get a scratch. I have easily over 15,000 rounds thru mine and never had a misfire or a problem. They are a little hard to break in (prob. 1000 or so rounds) but once they are, they are great. In fact I like it so much I just bought a 20 ga. in the same model.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast