Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default strange guy in driveway

last night i went to a friends house with the wife and the baby, i wasn't going to carry but changed my mind at the last minute. just left it in the glovebox while we were visiting. when we got back home i was getting out of the truck and seen a guy across the street. it was dark so i thought it was the nieghbor. he started walking in my driveway and when i could see he was strange and shady lookin i quick grabbed my gun, the wife already had it out of the glove box and on my seat and put it in my pocket. he didn't get to close to me and kept his hands in his coat pockets. he asked directions to 309 north to go to pocono mountains i told him he was pretty far from 309. then he tried to say tamaqua wasn't even close to getting it right. sounded like he was trying to make something up real quick. i told him to go down 946 and keep going he'll run into 309. he said thanks and walked back to the truck and left.

glad i took my gun with me last night. dont leave home without it

Default Re: strange guy in driveway

Lost and innocent or looking to rob is something you'll never know. He may have had the sense that you are well aware and prepared and thought it best to move on. Then again could have been lost. Better to have and not need, right.
    -Remember the Constitution-

We're rapidly approaching the time of year when the real predators come out to stay for a while. They're looking for a bait ball, not other sharks who might bite back. If you look like you might be dangerous to them, they'll move along to the next "customer". Plenty of fish in the sea around holiday time.
    Last edited by Deanimator; November 14th, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Agreed once again, its better to have and not need. Glad your family and yourself are safe.

(Cumberland County)

I had a very similar situation a few years ago when i lived on the back alley in Ickesburg. The dog started with her "danger close" growl that rarely comes out of her. I didnt hear a thing. I tucked the PX4 in small of back and grabbed a flashlight and walked outside, one hand on light other hand on the grip of the pistol. I quickly noted that there were no cars other than mine around. I cornered the house and was 15 feet from an "odd" fellow, who looked me up and down and quickly started stuttering and mumbling about how he needed directions to dillsburg, which isnt even close to Ickesburg. I didnt need to draw, he was already quickly making tracks as he invented an excuse after he noticed that i was reaching behind my back and burning his eyes with an LED. Thank God for my dog or i would have been off guard.

(Lancaster County)

I've had a similar situation outside of a CVS down here. Waiting at the curb for the wife to run in and get a prescription after dark. Saw a dude come out of the store, look around the parking lot and then wander back and forth in front of the store a few times.

After a few minutes, he spots me sitting in the van and begins to approach. I slipped my pistol out and had it resting in my lap and checked to make sure the doors were locked. He walked right up to the driver's side door and asked "What time is it". Without looking down I told him the time, he then asked if I could give him a ride downtown.

He stood there for a bit and then wandered off back to the front of the store, and then out to the main road and headed up the road away from the city.

Situational Awareness is always key I believe and I always try to keep my eyes open.

Glad that everything worked out ok for everyone's that posted.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfryer View Post
    I had a very similar situation a few years ago when i lived on the back alley in Ickesburg. The dog started with her "danger close" growl that rarely comes out of her. I didnt hear a thing. I tucked the PX4 in small of back and grabbed a flashlight and walked outside, one hand on light other hand on the grip of the pistol. I quickly noted that there were no cars other than mine around. I cornered the house and was 15 feet from an "odd" fellow, who looked me up and down and quickly started stuttering and mumbling about how he needed directions to dillsburg, which isnt even close to Ickesburg. I didnt need to draw, he was already quickly making tracks as he invented an excuse after he noticed that i was reaching behind my back and burning his eyes with an LED. Thank God for my dog or i would have been off guard.
    Why wouldn't you lock the door(s) and stay inside? No need to go out and put yourself in danger and risk getting jumped or something. Stay inside, grab the gun, take up a defensive position somewhere, and call 911.

I try to avoid dangerous situations, not go looking for them. Hopefully you learned from that incident and it changes the way you would respond to future incidents. Glad everything turned out alright that time.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Cumberland County)

Of course, every time i look back on that situation i think that that is what i should have done. But on the other hand, I cant just call the cops every time the dog or myself hears a noise outside. Sometimes the situation can be handled by one's self. He didn't know i knew about him, i had the upper hand. The response time is over an hour, what was i supposed to do? cower in the corner till midnight waiting for the cops/him to bust in?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bern1982 View Post

glad i took my gun with me last night. dont leave home without it
    x2.

My father was shot with a 12 gauge years ago during a robbery, thank god it was only a bird shot, but he was still close to death by the time he got to the hospital. If it wasn't for his .357 magnum firing back, the guy would've finished him off. They found the guy had rope and tape, he had no plans on running after the first shot. If it wasn't for his decision to always carry, things would be a lot different.

(Montgomery County)

All I know is when you call the Cops that doesnt mean they'll show up in a timely fashion, if at all. My GF called the cops when someone was trying to kick down her front door (before she was my GF and we lived together) and she called the cops but they didn't show up until 3 hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfryer View Post
    Of course, every time i look back on that situation i think that that is what i should have done. But on the other hand, I cant just call the cops every time the dog or myself hears a noise outside. Sometimes the situation can be handled by one's self. He didn't know i knew about him, i had the upper hand. The response time is over an hour, what was i supposed to do? cower in the corner till midnight waiting for the cops/him to bust in?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast