Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question Firearm Ownership Employee Protection?

I've been researching the topic and have not found anything in regards to PA.

My employer has a no weapons policy. My vehicle is MY property, thus the confusion. Assuming the no weapons policy covers everything, including my car in the parking lot; is there grounds to challenge the legality of their policy? By not allowing weapons, even in my car, they violate my rights on the road and everywhere I go on my way to work. What if I get robbed while pumping gas? I would consider the company liable if anything happened to me on the way to work. Catch 22?

I'm trying to make sense of this and I cannot find a concrete answer.
    Read what I say as if I were speaking in a matter of fact, unassuming tone.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Firearm Ownership Employee Protection?

Park off their property otherwise in Pa you are on their property. bet if they have a no smoking policy it applies to cars on their property too.
    No catch 22, private property, don't park on their property.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&W M&P40c View Post
    I've been researching the topic and have not found anything in regards to PA.

My employer has a no weapons policy. My vehicle is MY property, thus the confusion. Assuming the no weapons policy covers everything, including my car in the parking lot; is there grounds to challenge the legality of their policy? By not allowing weapons, even in my car, they violate my rights on the road and everywhere I go on my way to work. What if I get robbed while pumping gas? I would consider the company liable if anything happened to me on the way to work. Catch 22?

There are no legal grounds to challenge them. The only thing you can do is abide by their rules, petition your employer to change them, or find another job.

Any person that robs you is liable, not the employer.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There are no legal grounds to challenge them. The only thing you can do is abide by their rules, petition your employer to change them, or find another job.

Any person that robs you is liable, not the employer.
    You forgot option 4: Contact WhiteFeather and work to get the law changed next session!

I think this was the thread for the last bill:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/654...mr-eachus.html

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the replies. This has been buggin me and a lot of my coworkers. Many of us are firearm enthusiasts, including my supervisor who also was not sure and gave me the "well if you don't advertise it...." answer which is NOT what I wanted. Not trying to get fired for ANY reason whatsoever. I mean c'mon, I get along with the supervisor today but who knows, tomorrow I may piss him or someone else off and they report a firearm in my car and I'm out of a job. It's not a likely situation, but it's a possiblity, and I'm not about to stake my job on a supervisors half assed answer.

Which makes me wonder how they could even search my car? Unless the gun was in plain sight, or I admitted to having it, how would they have just cause to search? My car is locked could they even do that? That would be breaking and entering right?

(Franklin County)

Which makes me wonder how they could even search my car? Unless the gun was in plain sight, or I admitted to having it, how would they have just cause to search? My car is locked could they even do that? That would be breaking and entering right?
    They could make a search a condition of your employment ("If you don't let us search, we're going to terminate you."). They don't need "just cause", but they absolutely can't force a search if you refuse it. Just be sure you're willing to endure the consequences of that decision before you make it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    They could make a search a condition of your employment ("If you don't let us search, we're going to terminate you."). They don't need "just cause", but they absolutely can't force a search if you refuse it. Just be sure you're willing to endure the consequences of that decision before you make it.
    That rings a bell, I remember something about that now in the terms of employment. I realize it may seem a little absent minded on my part, however, I keep things simple, if something is against the rules I just don't do it and forgot the details (it's been a few years since I've read it).
    Last edited by S&W M&P40c; November 14th, 2010 at 08:15 PM.

(Monroe County)

This came to mind just now while thinking of a situation I was involved in.

The parking lot is private property and your car is personal property. I believe there's a difference.