Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • .45 ACP

99 67.35%
  • .40 CAL

48 32.65%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: .45 ACP vs .40 Cal Which one do you think is best?

The size of the pistol (glock 23), the capacity of said pistol and the ballistics of the round are a few reasons the .40 is my choice carry caliber.

I want a smaller gun with more ammo. For me, the 23 is the perfect compromise. . . .

(Westmoreland County)

My personal experience with .40 is it's a little too snappy for quick quality follow up shots... I don't have that problem with .45 (or 9mm) - I owned both Sig and Glock in .40, and I don't have either weapon now.

(Washington County)

My perspective on this topic is that the common combat/defense/service caliber weapons in 9mm/.40SW/.45ACP, usually semi-auto pistols, will kill what you shoot with them.

I carry all three, at various times or situations, and I practice with each caliber.

I LOVE my .45 ACP, its generally my home defense gun with laser/light

I carry my .40SW on a daily basis as well as a Ruger LCP .380 as a BUG,

and I use my 9mm as an optional carry piece and practice a lot with all of them.

Its a personal choice, and my reasons for choosing my carry weapon may be different than yours, so I would suggest trying out each caliber in the gun of your choice, and see which one suits you better.

Dave
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lehigh County)

I agree on the recoil on the .40 screws with my follow up a little me personally I shoot better with a .45 or 9mm

(Philadelphia County)

Whichever you shoot best in whatever platform.

(Bucks County)

If in the middle of the night I hear my back door kicked in and someone walking up my stairs ,i would take the .45. With a seven round mag I would have about 5 or 6 left over in case there was more than one intruder.

I own 9mm, 357sig and 45ACP and multiples of each. I really like them all. I carry 357sig (Glock 32) as my EDC and dont own any 40S&W (and don't plan to), there lies my opinion for what it's worth.
    Last edited by 3per; November 27th, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

(Schuylkill County)

Can open....Worms everywhere!!!

Like was said before, it is up to the carrier to determine which is the most accurate caliber in a particular size frame/model.

That being said, I am voting 45. Cost of a box of 50 is not enough of a reason to make the 40 better because we are talking a few bucks. And I don't know where you guys shop, but we have no shortage of 45acp rounds. Mag capacity is also too close to call when you are talking the difference between a 40S&W round and a 45acp round. I personally would rather have a few less 45 rounds than more 40 rounds. I'm sure Crossman makes a BB pistol that holds like 100 BBs. Doesn't make it better. For one, the muzzle snap on the 40 makes it too difficult for me to take follow-up shots. I have experienced less recoil in a smaller frame 45 than in the mid-sized 40. Secondly, the Glock 30 has a 10 round mag capacity. While this is not quite as small as the G27, which has a standard 9 round capacity, it is definitely concealable.

Done and done.

I don't see any merits for the 45acp being superior to the 40 cal in dare I say it stopping power. It seems that the 1911 platform is the 45acp advantage not the round itself. I really am divided on which would be the best round to take into a gun fight. The 45acp has a reputation as a battle field cartridge with good results. The 40 cal is the Law enforcement new round of choice with a good record of stops. The advantage of more rounds was enough and is still a factor in the 9mm being a force in LE over the 45 acp. I don't see why the 40 cal can't sit on that fact also along with its big hole factor.

I like my 7-8 shot 1911s in any situation using the statistic that most gun fights are 2-4 shots and 3-10 yards, and I might favor it in home defense maybe. In the other platforms G21sf and Beretta Cx4 13 & 10 shots of 45acps, more is better in case of ML. But even the Cx4 is slightly larger then the 40 cals.

But if "Murphy Law" is a factor out and around in less contained circumstances 11-15 rounds of 40 cal in the smaller G23, 8040 and 24/7 platforms has its advantage in a comforting way.

Being on a smaller platform, just as much or higher capacity and almost as powerful is a plus in my book. In some situations I'd choose the 40 cal.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 29th, 2010 at 05:20 PM.

(Bucks County)

I kinda skipped the whole .40 sw and went straight to 10mm. With today's expansion rates with hollow points you cant go wrong with any of the common calibers, 9mm .40sw .45 acp. As far as capacity goes its all up to what you want to carry. FN FNP 45 is 15 round double stacks of .45 acp in a size that didn't strike me as huge. I carry a g20 with 15 round mags (same capacity as a glock in .40 sw) which is a bit of a 2x4 for some. With 9mm you can get into much higher capacities.

All of this is fine and dandy but as most agree shot placement is key, but having a larger hole helps. So whatever you can shoot accurately and hit where you want to hit is the best caliber. I doubt anyone is really going to go through multiple magazines worth of ammo in a typical self defense scenario. So capacity shouldn't be the main deciding factor in caliber choice. It's nice to have, but there's a lot of compromise in that regard. That's why they make multiple calibers, there's something out there for everyone's needs. As far as what meets my needs, high cap .45 wins out over .40 for me.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast