Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • .45 ACP

99 67.35%
  • .40 CAL

48 32.65%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: .45 ACP vs .40 Cal Which one do you think is best?

Isn't the .40 used my most law enforcement?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Defensor Fortis View Post
    Many Opinons and studies differ about which caliber of pistol round is superior. However, i want to know what you all think. Who is the top dog?
    IMO, what is superior is shot placement. You do your part and both will be effective. I voted .40S&W because it's what's in the safe......

edit; I'll bet dollars to gumdrops the .45 will come out on top in your poll....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Bucks County)

id take 45 or 9mm, 40 is good because its abundant at wal mart

(Susquehanna County)

To be totaly unscientific, I prefer a heavier bullet moving at moderate speeds. Overall I want the bullet to penetrate half-way through the threat and stop completely. That way the threat gets the "benefit" of hemorrage, nervous system distruption and absorbs all of the bullet's energy.

Many people talk about 9mm or 10mm bullets expanding to almost 1/2" well it might be so, but a .45 sure as hell isn't going to shrink.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lehigh County)

Bullet for bullet, if you can put BOTH bullets where you want them to go, the .45ACP will displace more tissue causing more trauma to the body. There in, is the key -- IF you can place BOTH bullets where you want them to go. In comparable size/weight guns, I find the .40S&W more easy to control. Plus, as was said, the .40S&W is normally cheaper to shoot than a .45ACP ... thus, allowing for more practice giving better accuracy. Plus, in similar size guns, one can get considerably more rounds in the .40S&W than the .45ACP -- for example, a Sig 226 holds 12 rounds of .40S&W compared to 8 rounds of .45ACP in the Sig 220 (I don't top off) -- that's a 50% difference in the amount of ammo available.

As I said, bullet for bullet, the .45ACP is superior to the .40S&W if the bullets end up in the same place but given a 50% bullet advantage, I normally go with the .40S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by AMW556 View Post
    .40 S&W penetrates barriers better than .45 ACP. It's faster and shoots flatter, has more accuracy and generally a higher capacity.

Here's a video showing penetration differences between the two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kOwcDYsZik

.40 Penetrates both books, .45 does not.

There are several other videos, just don't feel like fetching them.

The only argument for .45 ACP is that it is larger and therefore makes a bigger hole, but that's it, in accuracy, range, and penetration it's inferior and outdated.

Flame shield activated!
    No flame but do you have any reference for your claim of better accuracy? In my experience the weapon and skill of the shooter are what determines accuracy not the caliber.

According to my Lee manual the recommended fastest load for .
    40S&W with a 180 gr. jacketed bullet is 1160fps. The recommended fastest load for the .45 acp. with a 185 gr. bullet is 1149 fps. If you use the common formula to calculate energy the .40 S&W power factor is 208.0 and the .45 acp. power factor is 212.565.

As to range we sat and watched a guy knocking over 12" plates at 200 meters. He was about 75% effective and ran 3 sets which are 10 plates each.

The only remaining factor is magazine capacity which is or is mot a factor depending on the gun and use.

All conversations comparing calibers boil down to personal preference and an individuals experience. The other factor that seems to form many opinions is what has been read or seen from a professed professional.

Damn it is nice to get to discuss .45 acp. and something else but 9mm.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Defensor Fortis View Post
    Many Opinons and studies differ about which caliber of pistol round is superior. However, i want to know what you all think. Who is the top dog?
    Both are equally adequate defensive calibers.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by milatchi View Post
    I tried the .40 and the .45 ACP and decided the stick with the .45 ACP
    -- still loving my Springfield Armory XD .45 ACP.
    Me too! I have the 4in service model in OD green, LOVE IT!

(Chester County)

i voted for the .45....proven manstopper time after time after time. Although I guess I am bias because I carry a 1911

(Cumberland County)

Lawdy... Here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    IMO, what is superior is shot placement. You do your part and both will be effective. I voted .40S&W because it's what's in the safe......
    Righto. Run what you brung. I wouldn't go running out and grabbing up a bunch of .45 just because Stevie A. Handgunner says it's superior.

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    id take 45 or 9mm, 40 is good because its abundant at wal mart
    Sometimes I wonder about you. While .40 S&W may be in stock in Wal Marts so is 9mm, and lots of it. I shoot and buy booth from a few different Wal Marts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    To be totaly unscientific, I prefer a heavier bullet moving at moderate speeds. Overall I want the bullet to penetrate half-way through the threat and stop completely. That way the threat gets the "benefit" of hemorrage, nervous system distruption and absorbs all of the bullet's energy.

Many people talk about 9mm or 10mm bullets expanding to almost 1/2" well it might be so, but a .45 sure as hell isn't going to shrink.
    True story.

Quote Originally Posted by AMW556 View Post
    I prefer .40 S&W.

More accurate, has a longer effective range, higher velocity and penetrates better than .45 ACP.
    Still no flame but maybe we should turn the heat up... More accurate? If you could explain that I'd be tickled pink. Even if .40S&W was inherently more accurate than .45acp the difference would be minutia. Blah, read below.

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    No flame but do you have any reference for your claim of better accuracy? In my experience the weapon and skill of the shooter are what determines accuracy not the caliber.

According to my Lee manual the recommended fastest load for .
    40S&W with a 180 gr. jacketed bullet is 1160fps. The recommended fastest load for the .45 acp. with a 185 gr. bullet is 1149 fps. If you use the common formula to calculate energy the .40 S&W power factor is 208.0 and the .45 acp. power factor is 212.565.

As to range we sat and watched a guy knocking over 12" plates at 200 meters. He was about 75% effective and ran 3 sets which are 10 plates each.

The only remaining factor is magazine capacity which is or is mot a factor depending on the gun and use.

All conversations comparing calibers boil down to personal preference and an individuals experience. The other factor that seems to form many opinions is what has been read or seen from a professed professional.

Damn it is nice to get to discuss .45 acp. and something else but 9mm.
    Personal preference indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    Both are equally adequate defensive calibers.
    Righto.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_brutsche View Post
    i voted for the .45....proven manstopper time after time after time. Although I guess I am bias because I carry a 1911
    The only proven manstopper I know of is this;

Shot placement? How about "Over that way, ish..." 155mm.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast