Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default Rural backyard range

Hi, Have a small private range on my property. Not commercial, used by me and occasionally friends. Nothing fancy, very private and safe. Neighbors within ear range friendly, no problems. Is there anything I should consider doing to protect my future rights. I am thinking all it may take is one outsider moving into the area, not firearm friendly, to raise some trouble.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Rural backyard range

Get to know the area realtors and watch for "for sale" signs. If you see anyone driving in the area that seems like a potential buyer make it a point to have an excessive "range day." Either they'll be all for it, or they won't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Get to know the area realtors and watch for "for sale" signs. If you see anyone driving in the area that seems like a potential buyer make it a point to have an excessive "range day." Either they'll be all for it, or they won't bother.
    Good advice
    We have been using this plan for about 50yrs. and it works. Even came up with a shooting buddy.
    Heavy rifles seem to make the biggest impression.
    Had a realtor stop and ask us to not do this as she had lost two sales, just explained that those people would not have been comfortable in the neighborhood.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(York County)

I would check to see if there is a noise ordinance where you are. If there is one, it will probably prohibit excessive noise during certain hours. As long as your range is safe, and not putting anyone in danger, and you are abiding by any noise ordinances I wouldn't care what any potential "outsiders " thought about it.
    I've always been a firm believer that if it's my property, I'm going to do what I want to on it, within the confines of the law. I don't cater to whiners.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Lycoming County)

In my area, I am protected by a "grand-father" clause. In other words, my range was there first. If someone moves in and doesn't like the noise, too bad.
    I can draw my weapon faster than a person can get help dialing 911!
    "Don't retreat - just reload." Sarah Palin
    I have three good friends - Mr. Smith, Mr. Wesson and The Judge.
    I carry a gun - a cop is too heavy!

(Clarion County)

Glenn Lynn, is this "grandfather clause" legally documented somewhere? What I have is no problems at all. All neighbors shoot, closest one 400-500 yds away has his own home range. What I'm really asking is since the attitude here is positive, is there anything I should do legally to position myself so shooting rights on my property, not only today but many years down the road stay in place?
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Glenn Lynn, is this "grandfather clause" legally documented somewhere? What I have is no problems at all. All neighbors shoot, closest one 400-500 yds away has his own home range. What I'm really asking is since the attitude here is positive, is there anything I should do legally to position myself so shooting rights on my property, not only today but many years down the road stay in place?
    I can't be of much help on the documentation. Several years ago, my father who lived in the same area had a complaint from a new neighbor. The Chief of Police told my Dad not to worry about the complaint because he was protected buy the "grand-father" clause and went on to explain what he meant. There is also a noise ordinance in our township. My Dad was also told not to worry about that either because in a rural area no one lived close enough to each other for gun fire to disturb anyone.

As I am writing this I can hear muffled gun fire from another nearby private range but it is not loud enough to be disturbing.

There are at least three private ranges within 1000 yards of each other. We also have a different Chief of Police now and he has said nothing to anyone. I do not know if it is because the "grand-father clause is in writing or if we are just fortunate enough to have good neighbors or pro-gun Chiefs.
    I can draw my weapon faster than a person can get help dialing 911!
    "Don't retreat - just reload." Sarah Palin
    I have three good friends - Mr. Smith, Mr. Wesson and The Judge.
    I carry a gun - a cop is too heavy!

(Chester County)

The 'grand-father' clause is probably a reference to Commonwealth statute:

35 P.S. § 4501 General immunity for noise

All owners of rifle, pistol, silhouette, skeet, trap, blackpowder or other ranges in this Commonwealth shall be exempt and immune from any civil action or criminal prosecution in any matter relating to noise or noise pollution resulting from the normal and accepted shooting activity on ranges, provided that the owners of the ranges are in compliance with any applicable noise control laws or ordinances extant at the time construction of the range was initiated. If there were no noise control laws or ordinances extant at the time construction of the range was initiated, then the immunity granted by this act shall apply to said ranges.
    The issue that you may have is whether an impromptu private 'range' is covered or must it be something more formalized with local permits and filings during construction.
    IANAL

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

I have been wondering for sometime about private ranges. How much property does one need in order to shoot on it. Any laws regarding shooting on your property?
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    I have been wondering for sometime about private ranges. How much property does one need in order to shoot on it. Any laws regarding shooting on your property?
    I'm unaware of anything at the state level except shooting across roads. Most likely any restriction/prohibitions would be a local ordinance.
    IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast