Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: UP IN ARMS IN UPPER DARBY

There was a time prior to the clinton administration that there was no problem regarding obtaining an FFL in a local neighborhood. The ATF did not contact the local authorities of the applicant's intentions. slick willy was able to reduce the number of ffls by 2/3 by using the notication tactic. Even licensees that were in business for years out of their homes had their licenses revoked if the local government balked over zoning.

As far as the havertown gunsmith, that individual went to the township and got a variance under conditions to operate his gunsmith only shop. There were agreements that he would abide by for the variance, which does have caveats.

(Montgomery County)

Application withdrawn....

Upper Darby resident withdraws application for gun sales
    By LINDA REILLY, Times Correspondent

A zoning notice sits inside the window on the residence of Kevin Joseph Fialkowski, who wants to ‘perform limited gunsmithing, and Internet and trade-show sales’ out of his house at 730 Derwyn Road

UPPER DARBY — Residents of Drexel Hill, fearful of alleged gun sales in their neighborhood, were informed Monday the applicant seeking zoning approval for a variance withdrew the request.

Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood, township council members Thomas Wagner and Jean Koroly and Assistant District Attorney Jessica Conley met with 14 people who objected to the proposal Monday.

The applicant, Kevin Joseph Fialkowski, of the 700 block of Derwyn Road, who wanted a permit for a home-based business license in his basement and garage, said the whole issue was blown out of proportion by the media and neighbors who alerted the media.

According to the application, Fialkowski wanted permission to “perform limited gunsmithing and Internet and trade show sales for niche market of competition shoot teams.”

The license is required by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to obtain approval for a Type 7 Federal Firearms License.

“I don’t deal in ammunition. I don’t deal in selling guns,” Fialkowski said. “Federal firearms Class 7 is for the manufacture of firearms and that includes gunsmithing and that is what I was going to do. Neighbors could have come to me and asked me what I was doing.”

Chitwood informed the group Fialkowski met with him earlier in the day and announced his plans to withdraw his application.

“It’s done,” Chitwood said. “There will be no zoning hearing. We had probably more than 200 people sign petitions against this happening. It shows it’s about the neighbors coming together.”

“It was very clear to us the community was very much against a firearms enterprise,” Wagner said. “It belongs only in a commercial district. We fielded a lot of phone calls.”

Fialkowski, 40, a resident in the row house for 17 years, is married and has a 12-year-old son.

He is a software developer, doesn’t sell anything and trades under Red Eye Defensive Solutions offering his expertise as a certified firearms instructor, “refuse to be a victim” instructor, personal safety consultant, National Rifle Association recruiter and mobile Pennsylvania notary. According to Fialkowski, the reference in the Daily Times about selling hand, power and garden tools is incorrect.

“I don’t sell anything,” Fialkowski said. “I needed zoning for a business mailing address for a business.” He added that the business was not going to be conducted in his house.

A competition rifle shooter since he was 16, Fialkowski developed a device for rifles, which he is getting patented.

“That is why the gunsmithing piece was included in the application,”

Fialkowski said of his invention. “The misnomer is I would be doing it in my residence. My residence is my mailing address. ATF requires some address.

“I’m withdrawing the application because of so much political pressure and I fear for the safety of my family. I’ve been approached by another businessman in the area who said I can use his address. This was totally blown out of proportion. I would never do anything to hurt my family or hurt my neighbors, and I would never try to bring riff raff into my neighborhood. I tried to do everything above board. Neighbors were being told they would lose their parking spaces on the street if it was approved.”

Fialkowski, who is licensed to carry a gun in the state and other states, keeps his guns and rifles locked up.

“If it’s not on my hip it’s in a safe,” Fialkowski said.

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory

(Allegheny County)

Wink Re: UP IN ARMS IN UPPER DARBY

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    There was a time prior to the clinton administration that there was no problem regarding obtaining an FFL in a local neighborhood. The ATF did not contact the local authorities of the applicant's intentions. slick willy was able to reduce the number of ffls by 2/3 by using the notication tactic. Even licensees that were in business for years out of their homes had their licenses revoked if the local government balked over zoning.

<snip>
    That's exactly true for a LOT of us so-called "kitchen table dealers". We were the root of all evils in the USA at the time. Every gun-crime in the USA was directly traceable to one of us kitchen-table dealers.

Doncha know it's been nirvana in the USA since we KTD's all gave up re-newing our FFLs?
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

New Jersey....coming to a town near you.
    FUCK BIDEN

kevin, your neighbors SUCK!!!! sell your house to some crack dealers, that'l teach those assholes a lesson

my class3 dealer is located right next door to a half way house......in upper darby..
    FJB

(Montgomery County)

Angry Re: UP IN ARMS IN UPPER DARBY

funny thing about the class 3 dealer is UD L&I does not even know that he is a class 3 dealer, they think he's only business is what the shop is signed for not fire arms.

This hype was all created by the the family that was thanked by town council during afternoon meeting with Chitwood and whos name is ALL over the news paper article also. Each time the news media came to the street, they were the first house that they went to.
    NRA Member, Class 1 & 3 FFL Dealer, Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    kevin, your neighbors SUCK!!!! sell your house to some crack dealers, that'l teach those assholes a lesson

my class3 dealer is located right next door to a half way house......in upper darby..
    Crack dealers can be hassled by the cops. On the other hand, if you rent it out as Section 8 housing, the Feds will protect the scumbags who move in. And you can usually find tenants who have scumbag children, too, if you look around.

Amoral adults and kids who live next door, who watch you pack up for vacation, who watch as you bring in the bags from shopping, who know when you go to work and when you come home, and if you have a dog, and who have a reason to lurk 1 foot away from your home for hours at a time, whose escape route from the broken window of your house takes 15 seconds to complete...that's MUCH better than having people who can pass a PICS check stopping by from time to time to transact Federally-regulated activities.

I guess I do not realize how good I have it in lower Delaware. When I moved from one County to another I of course had to go through the whole thing all over again. First my HOA came forth and wrote a letter to the County in full support of my endovor and offered 100% support and forwarded a copy of the letter to the County. I then wrote Sussex County Delaware and ask for permission to run a in home gun shop and gun smithing shop. The first letter while very good failed to spell out the retail sale of firearms and I wanted to be fully prepared so I wrote them again and I received a wonderful letter that was perfectly clear that I could operate a in home retail sales of gun and gunsmithing business and I could if I wished put a sign in my front yard but I would not do that to my neighbors as to me that would be offensive and pushing the point just to much. The next step was the inspection and the ATF Agent came and was more than courtious and he was there to explain all the rules and how to get in trouble and how to stay out of it. He asked right off the bat for my zoning documents of which I was prepared. Then he asked to see my corporate records and business licenses which I had ready. So after about an hour and a half most of which he was explaining differant rules he was ready to leave and stated that he expected no problems and I should have my license in about 2 weeks. As he said it arrived and I am back in business 50 miles south of where I was. As far as training for gunsmithing I did a gunsmithing course under the GI bill when I returned from Viet Nam but I try to keep up with some form of training every year. I did take the Penn Foster course more for couriousity than anything else and found it to be interesting but not very hard but also when the Agent was here he did look at it and state that it met their standards and was acceptable for the purposes of acting as a gunsmith but I would say that it only gives you enough information to know what the parts of a gun are and I by no means would say taking that course would give a person the real skills to hold themselves out as a qualified gunsmith. 35 years of it has tought me that you never finish learning about guns. Anyway for those who are facing the hardships of a in home shop I almost feel guilty as my neighbors and my community offered so much support that it made the process just about painless and the ATF were professional and at no time acted like they had an attitude against having a shop in my home. I have a number of whosalers I buy from and only one brand I would like to have but cannot because of the requirement for a storefront and that is Uberti but I have found other whosalers who sell them to me at a fair price and I sell a number of them. I specialize in guns like M1 Garands and M1 Carbines and have a good Internet business that brings in a surprising amount of sales so I have my cake and eat it to so to speak. I see a ton of places on the Internet telling you how to get a license in your home and to me they are all frauds as all you have to do is fill out the forms be honest about what you plan to do and you should have no problem. There is no secret that you have to pay for not one.
    I hope I have offered some hope to some who are discouraged by false advertising and the brick and morter stores that you hear hate you which is false as 75% of my gunsmith business comes from storefront shops that I work with. We have an understanding that if I know a customer went there first to buy a gun then come to me to try and buy cheaper I very politly discourage the sale and it works both ways. Maybe I live in a dreamworld of guns but to me I enjoy it and as I am disabled I can work at home. I cannot drive so this is perfect.
    Good luck to all
    Henderson Enterprises
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    www.hegunshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Crack dealers can be hassled by the cops. On the other hand, if you rent it out as Section 8 housing, the Feds will protect the scumbags who move in. And you can usually find tenants who have scumbag children, too, if you look around.

Amoral adults and kids who live next door, who watch you pack up for vacation, who watch as you bring in the bags from shopping, who know when you go to work and when you come home, and if you have a dog, and who have a reason to lurk 1 foot away from your home for hours at a time, whose escape route from the broken window of your house takes 15 seconds to complete...that's MUCH better than having people who can pass a PICS check stopping by from time to time to transact Federally-regulated activities.
    but, its better than having a guy that wants to work on firearms live next door...when are people going to wake up.....
    FJB

(Delaware County)

Yo gunshop, I am glad for your situation and your success in your business. There are many home operated gun shops in Pennsylvania as well. You have to lay the groundwork first before application. Getting neighbor support is the first requirement, without it you will not get to first base irregardless of the state, assuming that the particular state has any assemblence of zoning laws. Of course, you already realize that. This Upper Darby resident apparently did not.

Having a self centered and self serving media hound for a chief of police that doesn't support private gun ownership on any level doesn't help matters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast