Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: PA wine and spirits

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Well, assuming the location given in the top right corner is correct you live in PA. You stated you purchase your booze outside of PA. This means you must bring booze into PA from another state which is illegal. Unless I'm missing something, the prima facie evidence shows you are breaking the law.
    now who said anything about bringing it across state lines?
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    now who said anything about bringing it across state lines?
    It was implicit in what you said. If you'd like to get to the point and show us how you are not breaking the law so we can stop derailing this thread any further I'd appreciate it.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Excuse me while I write that in my little black book of laws no one gives a flyinG fuck about.

That's one of the dumbest laws I've ever heard of.
    1. I am not a lawyer, do not construe ANYTHING I say as legal advice. This is merely an observation.

2. Plenty of PA State Police work this angle around the holidays. In fact, one of the big box booze stores across the border from PA in Delaware regularly gets watched during the upcoming silly season. Buy your liquor in DE, cross right back into PA with it on I-95, and there's a chance you'll get stopped.

I do not buy liquor there, but I drive past the giant booze store often (it's near my work) and see a mix of PA and DE plates. I don't think I'd take the risk to save a few bucks a year on the ten cases of beer my family drinks annually.

But, to think this law is not enforced is a mistake.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dm_n_stuff View Post
    1. I am not a lawyer, do not construe ANYTHING I say as legal advice. This is merely an observation.

2. Plenty of PA State Police work this angle around the holidays. In fact, one of the big box booze stores across the border from PA in Delaware regularly gets watched during the upcoming silly season. Buy your liquor in DE, cross right back into PA with it on I-95, and there's a chance you'll get stopped.

I do not buy liquor there, but I drive past the giant booze store often (it's near my work) and see a mix of PA and DE plates. I don't think I'd take the risk to save a few bucks a year on the ten cases of beer my family drinks annually.

But, to think this law is not enforced is a mistake.
    I've heard stories they do the same thing at the stores right across the border in MD down on 222, near Conowingo around holiday time.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Indiana County)

Best time to do your Christmas shopping is in January.

(Monroe County)

UpDate:

Just called the talked to Frank the manager. He said that they are looking into it. He passed it up the chain to his boss and his boss pass it up the chain to the next boss. He asked for my phone number so he can give me a call back when he hears word from the big guy. So I guess no one working there really knows the answer to this question. When I was BSing with Frank he stated that he is Pro Gun, but likes CC.

(Bucks County)

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I have traveled to many many states and I have almost never found my beloved Crown Royal cheaper that PA.........

Occasionally, by maybe a dollar. Not worth traveling for. I'm just curious who has found "what" for "how much less"? Not hijacking..... just curious how much of a savings were talking here when gas is $3.00 a gallon.....

Even when going to the islands, it seems silly to have to pack 5 or so liters and lay out the cash to save $20-30....... assuming the bottles don't break or disappear at the jetway..

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    You realize that is illegal, right???

ETA: Here's the cite.

SECTION 4-491.
    It shall be unlawful--
    (2) For any person, except a manufacturer or the board or the holder of a sacramental wine license or of an importer's license, to possess or transport any liquor or alcohol within this Commonwealth which was not lawfully acquired prior to January first, one thousand nine hundred and thirty-four, or has not been purchased from a Pennsylvania Liquor Store or a licensed limited winery in Pennsylvania, except in accordance with section 488 or the board's regulations. In addition, it shall be lawful for anyone to possess miniatures totaling less than one gallon purchased in another state or a foreign country. The burden shall be upon the person possessing or transporting such liquor or alcohol to prove that it was so acquired. Notwithstanding this section or any other provision of the law, wine may be produced by any person without a license if the wine is not produced for sale and total production does not exceed two hundred gallons per calendar year. Wine produced in accordance with this clause may be used at organized affairs, exhibitions, competitions, contests, tastings or judgings if it is not sold or offered for sale.
    I thought the interstate commerce clause preempted states from regulating interstate commerce and gave only the federal government that power?
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
    I thought the interstate commerce clause preempted states from regulating interstate commerce and gave only the federal government that power?
    Sure, the commerce clause is reserved to the federal government - but once in PA, the state can fully regulate the item.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast