Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Does time of in-state license possession come into play for LTCF?

I had previously had a Pennsylvania license, but switched to New Jersey for school reasons. Now that I'm going to be going back to school in Philadelphia, I was going to just change back and keep my license in Pennsylvania for good.

Does the amount of time I've held my Pennsylvania license come into play when applying for a LTCF in Pa?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Does time of in-state license possession come into play for LTCF?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhilly View Post
    I had previously had a Pennsylvania license, but switched to New Jersey for school reasons. Now that I'm going to be going back to school in Philadelphia, I was going to just change back and keep my license in Pennsylvania for good.

Does the amount of time I've held my Pennsylvania license come into play when applying for a LTCF in Pa?
    To my knowledge, there's nothing in the law that says it does.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

It does not...since residency is not a requirement.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    It does not...since residency is not a requirement.
    So technically I could apply for the PA LTCF while being a NJ resident?
    I don't think I'd get approved for general ownership anyway in NJ.

I don't think I'd get approved for general ownership anyway in NJ.
    To be eligible for a Pennsylvania LTCF as a non-resident, you must possess a valid CCW or similar license from your state of residence, if your state issues licenses (and believe it or not, New Jersey does issue licenses.)

So, unless you have a NJ CCW, you cannot get a PA LTCF as a NJ resident. Your best bet would be to apply for a non-resident Florida CWP or Utah CFP, both of which have reciprocity with PA.

ETA reference:

18 PA C.S. §6109: Licenses

(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    Last edited by kcr121; November 12th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    To be eligible for a Pennsylvania LTCF as a non-resident, you must possess a valid CCW or similar license from your state of residence, if your state issues licenses (and believe it or not, New Jersey does issue licenses.)

So, unless you have a NJ CCW, you cannot get a PA LTCF as a NJ resident. Your best bet would be to apply for a non-resident Florida CWP or Utah CFP, both of which have reciprocity with PA.
    He's moving back into PA...

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    He's moving back into PA...
    Yup, but I was replying to this question:

(Philadelphia County)

lol thanks.

That's what always confused me. I was just going to change my license back to my father's house in Philadelphia for school reasons anyway, then apply.

I get all these people telling me to 'apply in virginia or florida as it's good for 31 states'. What's the consensus on that?

lol thanks.

That's what always confused me. I was just going to change my license back to my father's house in Philadelphia for school reasons anyway, then apply.

I get all these people telling me to 'apply in virginia or florida as it's good for 31 states'. What's the consensus on that?
    Yes, you can also apply for a non-resident VA concealed handgun permit, as it's recognized by PA through reciprocity, as well. The process for VA is basically the same as for FL, although I'm not certain of the number of states that recognize VA's permit. See this link for more info on VA's permit process for non-residents. The upside to Florida's permit as opposed to Virginia's is that Florida's is good for 7 years at a cost of $117, while Virginia's is $100 for 5 years. Both states accept NRA live-fire training or a DD-214 (for military service) as proof of competency.
    Last edited by kcr121; November 12th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Does time of in-state license possession come into play for LTCF?

Just remember it is hard to get your LTCF in Philadelphia. Better one of the outlying counties. Outside of the SE you can walk in and get your LTCF in 5-10 minutes. Point being, if you can get a new place outside of Philadelphia the better.
    Last edited by PA-Joe; November 12th, 2010 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast