Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Does being 21 make an applicant raise any red flags?

I have grown up around guns all my life, my father, uncle and several cousins are avid firearm owners and I've been shooting at indoor and outdoor ranges since I can remember. I'm going to be turning 21 in January and have thought about purchasing my own .45 acp and applying for a concealed carry permit.

Would this raise any flags? Do you guys think the shop would view me as being over anxious and wanting the gun for all the wrong reasons?

Between work and school I'm commuting through North and Southwest Philadelphia frequently and to be honest being able to carry would make things a little more comforting. I've had weapons pulled on me and friends at clubs, outside of bars, tailgating etc. I've seen muggings, people being jumped, etc. So it's not like I'm from an area that really doesn't warrant a desire to carry.

Despite self defense, I want to carry because...we can.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Does being 21 make an applicant raise any red flags?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhilly View Post
    I have grown up around guns all my life, my father, uncle and several cousins are avid firearm owners and I've been shooting at indoor and outdoor ranges since I can remember. I'm going to be turning 21 in January and have thought about purchasing my own .45 acp and applying for a concealed carry permit.

Would this raise any flags? Do you guys think the shop would view me as being over anxious and wanting the gun for all the wrong reasons?

Between work and school I'm commuting through North and Southwest Philadelphia frequently and to be honest being able to carry would make things a little more comforting. I've had weapons pulled on me and friends at clubs, outside of bars, tailgating etc. I've seen muggings, people being jumped, etc. So it's not like I'm from an area that really doesn't warrant a desire to carry.

Despite self defense, I want to carry because...we can.
    No red flags. No reason for a shopkeep to think you're over-anxious or wanting it for the wrong reasons just because you just turned 21.

Once you're 21, go buy a handgun and go apply for your LTCF.

(Berks County)

I bought my first handgun and applied for a LTCF on my 21st birthday. You shouldn't have any issues.

(Montgomery County)

No.

Here in Pennsylvania we get what is called a License To Carry Firearms. This allows one to do more then a "concealed weapons permit" does. For example, an LTCF holder can open carry in Philadelphia, an LTCF holder can carry firearms during a state of emergency.

You should have no problem at any reputable and reasonable shop to buy a firearm when you turn 21. One small thing you may want to do is go the day after your birthday so there is no debate as to what time of day you were born

Buying a firearm is just the beginning. Just like buying a piano does not make one a musician. Invest in some good training, it just might save your life. Training teaches things like this:

And this:

and last but not least:

Spend some time learning the laws in Pennsylvania (and elsewhere that you travel to). Spend some time reading where you can and cannot carry a firearm, what is justified and what duties you have.

When trying to pick out a handgun to carry understand that what is fun to shoot at the range is not always the best option to carry and vice versa. This forum is a great resource, check out the stickies and spend a few hours reading and learning.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No red flags. No reason for a shopkeep to think you're over-anxious or wanting it for the wrong reasons just because you just turned 21.

Once you're 21, go buy a handgun and go apply for your LTCF.
    Now I just have to decide on a glock 30 or a 1911 =( bah

(Jefferson County)

Now I just have to decide on a glock 30 or a 1911 =( bah

That will probably be the most difficult aspect of the topics in this thread.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    No.

Here in Pennsylvania we get what is called a License To Carry Firearms. This allows one to do more then a "concealed weapons permit" does. For example, an LTCF holder can open carry in Philadelphia, an LTCF holder can carry firearms during a state of emergency.
    What do you mean by the "can carry firearms during a state of emergency"?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    That will probably be the most difficult aspect of the topics in this thread.
    Yeah I feel more comfortable shooting the doublestack since i have bigger hands. I'm just not so sure it would be comfortable to carry concealed.

(Jefferson County)

Yeah I feel more comfortable shooting the doublestack since i have bigger hands. I'm just not so sure it would be comfortable to carry concealed.
    During a declared state of emergency you are not allowed to carry ANY handgun, rifle, or shotgun outside of your home unless you have a LTCF.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6107: Prohibited conduct during emergency

(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:
    (1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat.
    (2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

(b) Seizure, taking and confiscation.--Except as otherwise provided under subsection (a) and notwithstanding the provisions of 35 Pa.C.S. Ch. 73 (relating to Commonwealth services) or any other provision of law to the contrary, no firearm, accessory or ammunition may be seized, taken or confiscated during an emergency unless the seizure, taking or confiscation would be authorized absent the emergency.

(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Accessory." Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.
    "Firearm." The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.

(Philadelphia County)

Angry Re: Does being 21 make an applicant raise any red flags?

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6107: Prohibited conduct during emergency

(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:
    (1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat.
    (2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

(b) Seizure, taking and confiscation.--Except as otherwise provided under subsection (a) and notwithstanding the provisions of 35 Pa.C.S. Ch. 73 (relating to Commonwealth services) or any other provision of law to the contrary, no firearm, accessory or ammunition may be seized, taken or confiscated during an emergency unless the seizure, taking or confiscation would be authorized absent the emergency.

(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Accessory." Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.
    "Firearm." The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.
    Right so the government thinks that, if there's any ambush styled attacks in the states, like they claim groups are trying to plot, I'm sure a state of emergency would be declared...they expect everyone to leave their guns home?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast