Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Let's Beat A Dead Horse. Time for Me to Buy Night Sights

I know it's been discussed ad nauseam, but I've got a couple questions.

First, I'm thinking that 3 dots are what's best for me. Does anyone have anything good to say about the XS big and standard dots? I don't know if I'll be into that. Same goes with Straight Eights. Not my thing. So I guess 3 dots are really all I have left.

Second question. I'm putting these on a Glock 27. I know installing the front sight would be easy, but could I do the back myself? I really don't wanna fudge things up and break a vial, so I'd rather pay someone... I don't have a non-marring vise or drift punches, I don't know if me pounding away on the kitchen table with a rubber mallet and a dowel is going to be the best idea... Suggestions?

I know some places will put the sights on if you buy them from the same establishment. Unfortunately there is a serious dearth of good gun shops in my immediate vicinity. If anyone knows of a place in or near Harrisburg I'd be ecstatic.

I guess the final question is Trijs? Or Meprolights? I like the white around the vials on the Trijicons for daytime shooting... Would love to hear yinz opinions. Thanks for humoring me.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Default Re: Let's Beat A Dead Horse. Time for Me to Buy Night Sights

RWB,
    I will start off by saying that I have had several pistols with night sites. Trijicons mostly. I do have a Glock 30 with the XS Big Dot. HARD for me to get used to when shooting at a distance of say 25 yards or greater because I am used to using a six o'clock hold on a bullseye pistol. Anyway, at contact distance to say about 15 yards, the site is awesome. I don't even notice the rear. Put the great big dot where you want to hit and press the trigger. All that being said, I still like a 3 dot system better. If the 30 didn't have a fatter frame, I would give you my XS Big Dot for a good price. As far as your rear site goes, maybe someone with a site pusher will step up to the plate and throw on whatever you end up getting. If I lived closer I would help you out.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

My preference ...

- 3 dot
    - green/yellow combo
    - White outline on just the front site
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Montgomery County)

These are not your only options. My personal preference is a tritium front sight only, with a plain black rear sight wide enough so I can see just a little daylight on either side of the front sight when in the notch.

I dig the glowing front post only because I was trained to always go for the front sight. In a low light environment a solitary glowing front post really begs for visual attention. My current favorite set up is an XS standard dot with cylinder and slide extreme duty black rear sights on my Smith and Wesson 386 Mountain Lite.

Speaking of XS sights, I want to make it clear that I am not a fan of the big dot. The tritium vials are the same size, thus providing the same amount of illumination to the sight. However, in the big dot the white border around the tritium vial is larger.

I recommend having a professional install your sights. I have had them installed before and have installed a few myself and quite a bit can go wrong. The extra cash for the install is always worth it.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

RWB I will gladly install the rear sight for you. shoot me a pm and we'll talk.

I like the Meprolights all one color or dual rear and another color for the front sight. I don't like night ssights just on the front sight in pit dark you could still be sure of unless the guys within 10 yards, my Beretta Elite 96 came that way Trijicon night sight on the front post. I like the bright 3 dot Meprolights on the PX4 45acp!

(Allegheny County)

for a GLOCK Id either get the Ameriglo Operators (green tritium front with white outline, yellow rear no outline) or the Hack front (awesome green tritium front with bright orange outline) and see if you can pair it with the Operator rear (yellow, no outline) rear.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh...k/night-sights

IMO sights are a lot about personal preference and comfort. Except the NS's must either be just up front (and you give up distance precision) or Green/yellow. 3 greens is easy to mix up in the dark. You need at least a little light on either side of the front (stock GLOCK sights are the best example of what NOT to do).

Im not a fan of big dots. You wont be any faster, no matter how it "feels" and you give up a lot of ease of precsion from traditional notch and post.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    RWB,
    I will start off by saying that I have had several pistols with night sites. Trijicons mostly. I do have a Glock 30 with the XS Big Dot. HARD for me to get used to when shooting at a distance of say 25 yards or greater because I am used to using a six o'clock hold on a bullseye pistol. Anyway, at contact distance to say about 15 yards, the site is awesome. I don't even notice the rear. Put the great big dot where you want to hit and press the trigger. All that being said, I still like a 3 dot system better. If the 30 didn't have a fatter frame, I would give you my XS Big Dot for a good price. As far as your rear site goes, maybe someone with a site pusher will step up to the plate and throw on whatever you end up getting. If I lived closer I would help you out.
    Jules
    While I really have no practical reason to shoot a Glock 27 past 25 yards, I'm still shying from these sights... I guess I just prefer what I've always know.

I've heard that their only real weakness is shooting for accuracy at distance. That seems to be the general consensus.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    for a GLOCK Id either get the Ameriglo Operators (green tritium front with white outline, yellow rear no outline) or the Hack front (awesome green tritium front with bright orange outline) and see if you can pair it with the Operator rear (yellow, no outline) rear.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh...k/night-sights

IMO sights are a lot about personal preference and comfort. Except the NS's must either be just up front (and you give up distance precision) or Green/yellow. 3 greens is easy to mix up in the dark. You need at least a little light on either side of the front (stock GLOCK sights are the best example of what NOT to do).

Im not a fan of big dots. You wont be any faster, no matter how it "feels" and you give up a lot of ease of precsion from traditional notch and post.
    I do like the Operators, I was actually looking at them yesterday. I agree, I would definitely prefer a 2 color setup, preferably orange in the back, with a brighter green up front.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Saying "you won't be any faster" begs the question of what you mean by "faster" -- how are you measuring it, and what are the hidden assumption in that statement? For example, if your test for "faster" is some small-target, multi-opponent finesse matter, then maybe you won't be "faster."

But of course that measurement implies that this is what you consider the most thing to be "fast" at. The whole idea of the XSBD sights is that you make a decision that you want to make a priority of acquiring the front sight quickly, under adrenaline stress which can make front sight focus harder, for a relatively close shot.

Some pretty good shooters have switched to the XS sights and claim they make that easier. Andy Stanford comes to mind. Are they wrong?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast